Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Grate Stacker

Options
13»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gotcha.. I don't think I can shell out that much $$ for something to smoke wood on. It deff looks cool though
    You never know, Matt might pull a hat trick and get the prices down. But I would rather pay a little more once and have it last for many years.
    I think both unit are a little to tall and I would like a little more gap between the trip pan and cooking grate.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    gotcha.. I don't think I can shell out that much $$ for something to smoke wood on. It deff looks cool though
    You never know, Matt might pull a hat trick and get the prices down. But I would rather pay a little more once and have it last for many years.
    I think both unit are a little to tall and I would like a little more gap between the trip pan and cooking grate.
    Good idea regardless. Lot of good ideas just aren't viable. I like this one. Hard sell at $150+
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Doesn't Big Green Egg sell stacked grates?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    They did make a 3 tier spinning set up. Not sure if they still do. It was expensive and honestly not very ergonomic to use and clean. Kind of looked like a spinning serving deal for snacks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    They did make a 3 tier spinning set up. Not sure if they still do. It was expensive and honestly not very ergonomic to use and clean. Kind of looked like a spinning serving deal for snacks.
    It has a center mast design. Works ok as a two tier rig, just ok, Not very handy as a three tier unless doing jerky or something.
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Can the stacker be used to elevate the BGE pizza stone or is that top grate too small for that? Or does that bracket get in the way of the stone? I have a large BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    It will hold it fine.  Might want to center the top grate more than mine.  I keep it in the far side.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Thanks. I see you have the ceramic spacers there too. If you have those on end do they support the stone or do they tip over when you take the pizza off the stone?

are they tall enough to elevate the stone higher than the felt line?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks. I see you have the ceramic spacers there too. If you have those on end do they support the stone or do they tip over when you take the pizza off the stone?

are they tall enough to elevate the stone higher than the felt line?
    Those spacers are for a different cook and are just resting there.  I have a Woo to raise the main grid to felt level, then the stacker to raise top level into the dome.

The stacker does not need extra support, especially with only a pizza stone and pizza.  I have used a chicken in a DO with no issues before.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Oh I meant using the spacers on the grate and stone on top of them. Have you ever used them for that? Cheaper solution 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Oh I meant using the spacers on the grate and stone on top of them. Have you ever used them for that? Cheaper solution 
    Yup, that is how I do it on my medium.  Works like a champ.
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Do you stand them on end? And they don't tip when you use the peel to remove the pizza ?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Do you stand them on end? And they don't tip when you use the peel to remove the pizza ?
    I leave them on their side, but use a stone, spacers, drip tray under the main grate.  Then spacers then pizza stone.
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Drip tray for pizza? Maybe I missed something there. So the way I'm envisioning is: platesetter legs up, cooking grate on that, spacers and then stone on spacers. Would that work? 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Drip tray for pizza? Maybe I missed something there. So the way I'm envisioning is: platesetter legs up, cooking grate on that, spacers and then stone on spacers. Would that work? 
    He has things in his egg now just stored and in the photo showing the pizza stone
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yes, that would work fine.  In my medium the drip tray is wider than my stone by a good bit.  I use it to deflect direct radiant heat.  No other reason.

@Photo Egg is right, I store most my cooking stuff in my eggs.  No outdoor storage at the moment.
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Thanks. I think I'll try the ceramic spacers to lift it up a little bit above the felt line

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    A lot of great discussion, but gotta ask............how important would this item be if you have an AR?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    What is an AR?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Late to the party brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    What is an AR?
    Civilian version of an M-16, minus the 3 round burst.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What is an AR?
    Civilian version of an M-16, minus the 3 round burst.
    My AR meets that burst rate, on a slow day.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    A lot of great discussion, but gotta ask............how important would this item be if you have an AR?
    The AR has the upper hand over the swing grate IMO. But it is a cheaper way to add a second level. The AR has much more versatility.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Funny. I know what an AR weapon is but what is an AR for an Egg
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Adjustable rig by cgs. It adds a second level of cooking. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Funny. I know what an AR weapon is but what is an AR for an Egg

@Outdoorsman66 (AR - Adjustable Rig) It's a multi level grid setup. It's sold through the Ceramic Grill Store. The owner is an egger and memeber here on the forum.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota