Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - what's your favorite fiction novel or author?

Options
Haven't read a good book in a while, and was thinking, I value so much of the forum members opinions on such an array of topics, I'd see what people thought?

Generally, I like good satire or humor. Christopher Moore is probably my current favorite author, with "Lamb" being my favorite of his books, though he has many. I also have read most of Kurt Vonnegut's novels along with a bunch of his short stories too. "A confederacy of dunces" is also up there.

I also really like Dan Brown novels. Any recommendations? 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Peter F. Hamilton - His Commonwealth Saga, it is where my screen name comes from.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hemingway hands down if you want to be transported into the story.  Any of them. Short story: A Clean Well Lighted Place.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hemingway hands down if you want to be transported into the story.  Any of them. Short story: A Clean Well Lighted Place.
    I love Hemmingway.  Snows of Kilimanjaro, may be cliche, but I really liked it. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,041
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Scott Turow

Richard Russo

Michael Lewis
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Craig Johnson is my favorite author. I love his Longmire series and have read all of his books.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Nerd alert. james joyce (Ulysses), yearly or so

vonnegut is the focus of my current jag

Beckett may be a good choice to teturn to given the current environment. Been awhile. Waiting for Godot is a lot funnier than it is given credit for.

non fiction too.

david foster wallace's essays are pretty funny, with some gravity to them. The collection "a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again" is a riff on the capital A American psyche
  • fakewiig
    Options
    Greg Iles
    XLBGE w/ Woo2

Memphis, TN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    Satire/humor doesn't usually work for me on the "novel" level, it needs to be an article or at the very least, a short story.  
    If I had to pick one though, it'd be Lewis Grizzard.  

For non-humorous, give me Tolkein or Arthur C. Clarke.  
    One of my favorite satirical novels is:
    Thomas Sharpe: Riotus Assembly
    It opened my eyes to good Satire.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Nerd alert. james joyce (Ulysses), yearly or so

vonnegut is the focus of my current jag

Beckett may be a good choice to teturn to given the current environment. Been awhile. Waiting for Godot is a lot funnier than it is given credit for.

non fiction too.

david foster wallace's essays are pretty funny, with some gravity to them. The collection "a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again" is a riff on the capital A American psyche

A corpse is meat gone bad. Well and what's cheese? Corpse of milk.

James Joyce

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Steinbeck is probably my favorite American author.

If you're looking for something a little different, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card or The Road by Cormac McCarthy were recent reads that I was pleased with.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options

A corpse is meat gone bad. Well and what's cheese? Corpse of milk.

James Joyce

That was Bloom who said it, technically
     Otherwise we could say:

'My hole is itching me' -James Joyce

:)

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    John's Russo recommendation is on point.  If we're throwing out great American authors, then Fitzgerald is clearly the way to go - don't know what these other guys are saying.   =)

If you're looking for humor and you haven't read them yet, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams should be next on your list.

Walter Moers is another author you may want to check out - The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is great.

High Fidelity is one of my favorite books, and I always find it funny, but if you weren't a music nerd when you first read it (and see yourself a little too much in the main character), I suppose your mileage may vary.

Ed Tarkington's Only Love Can Break Your Heart was one of the better books I've read this year, I'd recommend that as well.

For nonfiction, I've enjoyed the recent memoirs of Jacques Pepin and Erik Ripert.  I got through Peter Guralnick's Sam Phillips bio too, but that really only grabbed me for a couple hundred pages in the middle.  His Sweet Soul Music is significantly better IMHO.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Little Steven
    Options
    Wasn't Bloom fictional and therefore technically not quotable. Does nobody understand?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    angling in the smile of the great spirit by dr harold lyons =)  used to read tons of books but the last 20 years its just the fishing ones i like to read. not so much the how to books, more on the lore.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    James Lee Burke
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Louis L'Amour has always been one of my favorites.....The Sackett series.  Also love Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.  
    Bill Bryson has some incredibly funny books - A Walk in the Woods or In A Sunburnt Country.
    I could read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men every week and never grow tired.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    Anything by Carl Hiassen is usually pretty good. Humorous, quirky, interesting characters, funny stories.  Excellent airplane books.

Elmore Leonard is another author you can just sit down and dive into.  Good characters, good stories.  

You're not going to feel smarter for reading them, but they're both pretty prolific and consistently entertaining.

+1 on Vonnegut as well.  
  • PiratePig
    Options
    Lee Child...his Jack Reacher series is total mental candy and you will love every book (well, except for Echo Burning, that one sucked).  

If you grew up in the 80's you have to read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.  Spielberg making the movie that comes out next year...great great book.

Non-Fiction...Ryan Holiday, Tim Ferris and Malcom Gladwell
    Never hurried, never worried, never rushed.  LBGE, Weber Genesis
    Naperville, IL
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

angling in the smile of the great spirit by dr harold lyons
    the kids diving off the dock at the marina to make noise to attract bass, and then catching some six pound lunker...  i tried it, but they thought i was drowning
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Philip Roth.  American Pastoral is great.  Also, Plot Against America and Human Stain.    
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i would go read the old man and the sea again but catholic school ruined a perfectly great book =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Grisham.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Wasn't Bloom fictional and therefore technically not quotable. Does nobody understand?
    Not how it works. Maybe it is a Canadian thing though.

...nice bit at the end.  why do you know that ("does nobody understand?")
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, both great reads
    Carrollton, Va
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    Good reads, different themes, genres and styles:

-William Gibson - Sprawl Trilogy
    -Jorge Luis Borges - Ficciones
    -Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Chronicle of a Death Foretold
    -Patrick Süskind - Perfume or The Pigeon

• Little Steven
    Options
    Not how it works. Maybe it is a Canadian thing though.

...nice bit at the end.  why do you know that ("does nobody understand?")
    Sort of the same way as I know that people don't understand as much as they know or something like that 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Michael Crichton 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    I can't read
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc