Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Working 24 Hours at Franklin BBQ

Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
An editor, from Bon Appetit magazine, does this series where he works 24hrs at a particular establishment. Most recent video is from Franklin BBQ. (Borrowed from the BBQ Brethren Forum)
Enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDiEQBZL_8

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Great look inside the day in the life of a BBQ joint
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I soooo have to get my ass to Franklins one of these days.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That was a cool video...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Awesome clip!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    thanks for sending... very good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Great video, thanks for posting!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited November 2016

Having stood in line, ate the food, met Aaron Franklin and some of his staff and toured the back where it all happens, I can truly say I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Franklin's is the real thing, and you owe it to yourself to eat there at least once in your life. It's worth it... 

Thanks. 

Spring "I've Got A Long Way To Go" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Very Cool but it doesn't look like too much fun!  I definitely enjoy the simplicity of cooking for 5!!!!  Wow!!! 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    There is a lot of work behind the scene to make his business flourish. Makes you think twice about the dream of opening a bbq joint. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Maybe I'm weird but that looks like a blast!!  I would love the opportunity to spend 24hrs at Franklins.  
    Great video!!  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    That was fun to see behind the scenes. Makes me want to visit...maybe.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I really enjoyed that, thanks!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Amazing he had time to write a book and do all the media tours!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    What's the point of dumping the grease off the top of the briskets? I always thought that you wanted to preserve that juice! Lol maybe we've discovered one of his secrets 
  • That was really fun to watch!  Thanks for sharing it, @Hotch.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • #bucketlist

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Thanks for sharing-great bit of insight.  Some day, for sure!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I work in the restaurant business and am refreshed to see the piece dedicated to all aspects of the hard behind the scenes work it takes to maintain a safe and clean front appearance, as well. Everyone wants to know what concentration apple cider vinegar is in that spray bottle. No one remembers to refill the wood cart. Well done. I'm doing a brisket this weekend, now.  ;)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I am enjoying reading his book.  But Auston is 1000 miles from me so not likely that I'll be eating there anytime soon.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I am a fan of Franklin even though I have not had any of his Brisket.  I read his book and enjoyed the read. Nice video - fun to watch. will look for others in the series.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    JMCXL said:
    I am a fan of Franklin even though I have not had any of his Brisket.  I read his book and enjoyed the read. Nice video - fun to watch. will look for others in the series.
    You should watch his tv show if you haven't already.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I think he's pulls his briskets off at midnight in that video - can anyone verify? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Great Video!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • GoooDawgs said:
    I think he's pulls his briskets off at midnight in that video - can anyone verify? 
    I was wondering that same thing. I'm thinking those are for pre-orders of the chilled brisket that you can pick up. They mentioned cooking about 100 briskets but then said only 49 were for people waiting in line. 
  • I noticed that they use butcher paper to wrap the briskets but use aluminum foil to wrap the pork butts.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Good video.

Anyone who has worked in a kitchen, or catered for 100 or more, knows the blood, sweat, and tears to pull it off.  Much respect.

Just a shot from the hip, but I think draining the fat helps with bark formation.

Looks like he's got a little more than S and P in his shaker.

His Q looks legit.  I still don't foresee myself standing in line 6 hrs plus for it.  I'll be at the hole-in-the-wall gems.  No disrespect to Franklin, he seems like a nerdy, humble, dude, who controls a high end product.

Getting up at 0500 to wait for Q at 1100 is nuckin' futs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    The line at Franklin's is an experience in and of itself.  I went on a weekday, and the line was "only" about 3 and a half hours.  And I didn't get there until 7:30.  Made lots of new friends!  Its definitely worth doing. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Seems like the line is a bit of a party and event in and  of itself. Doubt I would ever be able to talk someone into doing it with me if ever in that neighborhood. What I like, unless I am wrong, is that he has never expanded and opened additional restaurants. He stays in control even with his BBQ fame. That is pretty humble and impressive. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    HeavyG said:
    JMCXL said:
    You should watch his tv show if you haven't already.
    have seem some, watching more tonight (thanks for reminding me)
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That is great, thanks for posting.  Dude put in 24 hours of work for sure.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio