Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18.9 lb turkey getting to temp in less than 2 hours

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing the Bobby Flay turkey smoking recipe this morning. Followed his instructions for about 275 temp, soaked pecan chips and clocked in for a breast finish at 155°. Egg got excited with this cold weather and climbed up to about 340° when I wasn't looking. Now the turkeys at 154° and has only been on the egg for an hour and a half. If it finishes early, and all the temps check out (155° breast, 165° thigh) should the bird be OK?

Even with the vents set for a slow Smokin 250°, bottom vent at 10th of an inch and top about 30% open, she won't drop.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    You could hold in the oven if your not using it.  It should go fairly low, but check before.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    It will be fine just early. If you want to help drop the temp add a water pan with cold water. Seems real fast though for the size of the bird. How does it look? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I find jt hard to believe that it is cooked in 1.5 hours.  Make sure your temp probe is in a good spot.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Probe the hell out of it. You could be in a pocket or on bone or something. Has all the legs and wings loosened up and floppy?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That should still be at least a 3 hour cook at 340...
  • Powak
    Options
    Whoops! Had the prob from the maverick too deep in the breast. took my Thermapen to it and it was at about 120°
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That's better - have a great thanksgiving!
  • Powak
    Options
    Does anybody else pull em when it actually reaches 155B 165T? I've done that with poultry before.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Powak said:
    Does anybody else pull em when it actually reaches 155B 165T? I've done that with poultry before.
    Yes I'm pulling mine at 155 breast today.
    Jacksonville FL
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Whew that was close. That made me nervous from the sidelines. Was thinking that it could have been a bad reading on the grate or dome. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I like mine a little warmer 175/185 (breast/leg), but most will think that's too dry.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Mine is a 12lb turkey. The breast is at 115 and the legs are at 169. I wrapped the legs with aluminum foil about 15 minutes ago. I thought the leg temp would be lower than the breast. No one here is a big leg eater but I may just lose them. I'll pull at the correct temp for the breast.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Powak
    Options
    Mine is a 12lb turkey. The breast is at 115 and the legs are at 169. I wrapped the legs with aluminum foil about 15 minutes ago. I thought the leg temp would be lower than the breast. No one here is a big leg eater but I may just lose them. I'll pull at the correct temp for the breast.
    Check out the thigh temp. Mines mega lower than the breasts. 
  • Powak
    Options
    That's an example where to check the thigh. Here's my turkey, 3 hours in.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Great  looking bird ^^^
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    The legs can get real hot, lots of connective tissue to breakdown and fat. You're fine. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the picture @Powak I figured out my problem. My probe is actually in the drumstick and not the thigh.
    MiniMax 04/17

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Looking good.  120 would have been chewy!
    Phoenix 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I guess I only mistake was to put the legs facing the rear.

abreast is now at 161 and the thigh is at 163. So I'll be pulling it off in the ne t few minutes and wrapping it and letting it rest.

total cook time was 2 hours 20 minutes.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Boileregger
    Options
    I guess I only mistake was to put the legs facing the rear.

abreast is now at 161 and the thigh is at 163. So I'll be pulling it off in the ne t few minutes and wrapping it and letting it rest.

total cook time was 2 hours 20 minutes.
    Not a mistake at all.  IMO that's the way to go, legs pointing to the hinge.  I don't even take the temp of the thigh, when the breast hits 160 I pull it, legs and thighs are always fine.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Powak
    Options
    My bird came out killer and was enjoyed by all at my inlaws. Just one question, and I've noticed this before when doing birds indirect on grills: seems like the undersides where there's normally all kinds of good dark meat doesn't cooked all the way through. Is this normal? It was heavily pink and red under my bird today. Also my bird was so big I couldn't fit my bird on the v rack or even the pswoo 2 at felt height. I had to go just platesetter, legs up with the grate on top. I'm wondering if maybe spatchcocking would take care of this?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @Powak -  is this thread related to the bird transport issue of yesterday??  ;)  And regarding spatchcock, it is definitely a different cook process as you can tell from any spatch chix experiment. Yes it will take care of the underside dark meat issue.  I guess I'm not familiar with the new BGE fire ring notched design as when I put the grate on the platesetter it is at gasket level, same place as if I were to put in on the PSWOO-2.  You just need to make sure there is clearance between your cooking grate and the below drip pan for air-flow.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Powak
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Powak -  is this thread related to the bird transport issue of yesterday??  ;)  And regarding spatchcock, it is definitely a different cook process as you can tell from any spatch chix experiment. Yes it will take care of the underside dark meat issue.  I guess I'm not familiar with the new BGE fire ring notched design as when I put the grate on the platesetter it is at gasket level, same place as if I were to put in on the PSWOO-2.  You just need to make sure there is clearance between your cooking grate and the below drip pan for air-flow.  FWIW- 
    It sure is. Overall it was a good cook. I'm just wondering for there's ways to get the bottom to cook evenly too like a roaster pan does