Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So...Ummm...What's Mothership Gonna Do?

Options
No matter what your personal views of the outcome of the election; the result was the worst outcome BGE could have possibly imagined. It's well known that President-elect Trump does NOT like NAFTA or US companies that contract manufacture their goods just across the border in Mexico.

It doesn't take an economist to tell BGE that if they can't source their goods from Mexico; just go to the next cheaper country. But an economist will tell BGE that they already charge absolute top dollar for their ceramic products; any additional cost of production is going to come out of BGE's pocket.

It might not of rained in Atlanta for the past month, but I'm certain there's been enough sweat on DeKalb Technology Parkway the past two weeks you could put out a forest fire.

So what's BGE gonna do? 
If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Wait to see the outcome. I doubt they are sweating anything. A fair trade deal does not necessarily mean everything here will rise in cost. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Supply/Demand will dictate market value.  Will they move production to the US?  Doubtful.  Will they pass on the increase in tariff to the consumer? Likely yes. Will it affect their sales? Maybe.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    It's Friday?  ;)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    What politicians say to get elected and how they govern are usually different. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Let's just see how far the trade pendulum moves.  The system is designed to make it difficult to move very far off bottom-dead-center.  There will be plenty of ebbs and flows before anything becomes law.  And it is Friday eve.  ;)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    The real question here is..... How long will it take for this thread to get buffaloed or to be bumped to the bottom of the barrel? You know big brother doesn't want this sort of scuttlebutt at the drinking fountain. 
    Not that I disagree with you but......I carefully thought this out before i posted it.

I think it is genuine concern for the mothership and of interest to all of us enthusiasts and stakeholders.

A discussion of the personal views of the outcome of the election is NOT what I wanted to start.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • bobroo
    Options
    A real concern is: the time and capital required to move production somewhere else (and, where would that place be?) vs. how long that NAFTA could be dismantled by the government and the potential increased cost. 

IF you can believe President-elect Trump, he would like to rid of NAFTA in short order; the next six months.

I'm only guessing, but it will take a lot longer than 6 months to move production elsewhere.

I bet the hamster wheel is spinning fast at the Mothership.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Fortunately I have 2 eggs and have no intention in buying a 3rd.  :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've already got my LBGE so....
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    bobroo said:
    A real concern is: the time and capital required to move production somewhere else (and, where would that place be?) vs. how long that NAFTA could be dismantled by the government and the potential increased cost. 

IF you can believe President-elect Trump, he would like to rid of NAFTA in short order; the next six months.

I'm only guessing, but it will take a lot longer than 6 months to move production elsewhere.

Agreed.  It should be a concern.  And whatever happens won't happen overnight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Do you really think things weren't made in Mexico or Canada prior to Nafta? The ceramics are fired at Daltile plant down there. I don't believe it is a dedicated production plant. I'm pretty sure they mostly make ceramic tile. If i were you I would curl up in the fetal position in a dark corner and suck my thumb. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dell will face a similar issue. They assemble PCs just across the border from El Paso and hand them off to FedEx in Mexico who then delivers them in the US.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL just saying he's backing off a lot of his hard lines he used to get elected already and he not even sworn in yet. Told HC and the world he would prosecute and put her in prison but now says he doesn't want to hurt the Clintons and they're fine people and appreciates their service. He tapped the anger of people and said lots of things to get elected and will now not do. Politicians lie whenever their mouth is moving. More American jobs would be great but this billionaires got investments overseas that he's not going to harm. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @bobroo No political rant here.  I was floored when Carrier moved operations.  And more so how swarmy they did the US employees dirty.
    My hope is the fair trade agreement helps negotiate more manufacturing here. Why wouldn't Americans want this?  
    @Dobie Agreed but, shouldn't we try to get manufacturing of US goods back in the US?  Americans should be given opportunity to have these jobs.  No political trash talk intended.
    This wasn't Carrier's first rodeo with moving manufacturing to Mexico. They've been in Monterrey for a good while now. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What politicians say to get elected and how they govern are usually different. 
    +1.

I wouldn't get too worried @bobroo. Wait for the back-pedal. Barely took a few days to go from "I'll repeal Obamacare!" to "ummm... maybe we'll just amend it!"

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If i were you I would curl up in the fetal position in a dark corner and suck my thumb. 
    Excellent!!  :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bobroo
    Options
    Can anybody suggest a different country that has has good clay as a natural resource and doesn't pay it's people much?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    bobroo said:
    Can anybody suggest a different country that has has good clay as a natural resource and doesn't pay it's people much?
    Besides Mexico, kamados are already made in China, the USA, India, and probably some other countries I can't think of right off the top of my head. Clay may be local in all of those or some imported. Not sure good clay or cheap labor is always the primary factors.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Isn't the idea to go beyond Nafta and look at every trade deal. Eventually issuing a tariff on any goods manufactured outside the US by US companies. There was also talk about a tax incentive to companies who move production back to the US. I don't know much, but one thing I do know is that the wheels of government turn slowly, sometimes even in direct disregard for the urgency of the moment. Just a thought. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Isn't the idea to go beyond Nafta and look at every trade deal. Eventually issuing a tariff on any goods manufactured outside the US by US companies. There was also talk about a tax incentive to companies who move production back to the US. I don't know much, but one thing I do know is that the wheels of government turn slowly, sometimes even in direct disregard for the urgency of the moment. Just a thought. 
    Move slow and get run over by the Trump Train, CHOO CHOO!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    bobroo said:
    Georgia
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    not any worse than the other candidate.....move on.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    bobroo said:
    Georgia
    Primos are made in Georgia so that "country" is already spoken for.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Do you really think things weren't made in Mexico or Canada prior to Nafta? The ceramics are fired at Daltile plant down there. I don't believe it is a dedicated production plant. I'm pretty sure they mostly make ceramic tile. If i were you I would curl up in the fetal position in a dark corner and suck my thumb. 
    There are many types of tile made in Monterrey. They aren't going to retool in America. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bobroo said:

I suspect it will take Senor Trump more than 6 months to figure out what he can do, what he can't, and what the far-reaching implications are.  He has a lot to learn.
    NOLA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There are many types of tile made in Monterrey. They aren't going to retool in America. 
    Exactly. I agree.