Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

What are some good choices for quality knives?  Something that doesn't break the bank.
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• I like Shun knives. Great quality. But I always go to a good kitchen store and see what feels good in my hand. The Shun are well balanced. Happy shopping!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • I use Daisy plastic knives ... they are like 10 bucks for like 300 ... down side they break all the time.    All joking aside I also use Shun and they work great.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Many threads about knives have been posted here.  Try the search function on this site or google your topic and add egghead forum.  You will find lots of info and it runs across the spectrum.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    If you're not "great" at handling/using knives, I'd stay away from Shuns, etc.  Get a nice Wustoff or a Henkels that is plenty sharp.  Not a knock on you at all, but get a good knife and work on technique, then move up to sharper knives.  No technique with a freak knife means one less digit in the future.  

Got to a store like Sur la Table that will let you demo knives.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I'm a Wusthof fan.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • If you're not "great" at handling/using knives, I'd stay away from Shuns, etc.  Get a nice Wustoff or a Henkels that is plenty sharp.  Not a knock on you at all, but get a good knife and work on technique, then move up to sharper knives.  No technique with a freak knife means one less digit in the future.  

Got to a store like Sur la Table that will let you demo knives.  
    Good advice. 

I would add, you are better off getting a cheap set of knives and learning how to sharpen and care for them. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    A sharper knife, is a safer knife.

My boy was 6 when he started cutting his own bananas with a 6" Shun Chefs knife.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Dear OP, what does break the bank mean to you? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i dont spend alot on knives anymore, find a knife with a VG1 or VG10 core and your good to go. theres deals out there without breaking the bank. for what its worth, i dont think ive used any knife other than a 10 inch chef, a cheap serrated bread knife, and a fillet knife  in the last several months. if i did not clean fish i would not have used the fillet knife. so what im saying is stay away from sets, buy a descent chef knife and learn to use it. you will buy another one down the road anyways, we all do =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Buy Cutco knives. They cost a fortune but apparently, even after a couple decades of use, they stay as sharp as on day one. Truly some miracle steel in those babies. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited November 2016
    HeavyG said:
    Buy Cutco knives. They cost a fortune but apparently, even after a couple decades of use, they stay as sharp as on day one. Truly some miracle steel in those babies. :)

I had a terrible experience with Cutco a couple years back.

Bought one at the Texas Rodeo from the sales guy at their display table that required an order - they were out of stock at the table.   It never showed up, so I called the smooth talking sales guy.  He said they were still out of stock but could he ship me something else.   I said I'd rather have a refund.

Smooth talking sales guy became a jerk.
    He said he did not want to give me a refund because that would hurt his numbers.

I don't recall if I ever received a refund...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Victorinox are cheap and good. Not the best but maybe the best in relation to $$$$. I use the for demos and outdoors where I don't like to take my pricier knives
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The Victorinox Fibrox line has a consistent reputation as high performance for price. Not very pretty, but very serviceable. There are quite a few more expensive knives that don't work any better. There are a few that do work better at about 2x the price. Consider a Richmond Artifex 210mm. There are VG-10 core knives, various brands, for about the same price. Not too easy to sharpen, but the edge holds really well.

Slightly more expensive, $100 range, are Japanese carbon steel. They require care, as they rust and corrode really easily. If you have never used anything but stainless, it can be hard to develop careful knife cleaning. Easy to sharpen.

Warther cutlery offers a 9" for about $100. High end steel, S35VN, tough and able in a kitchen, not so easy to sharpen.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Man, we're getting more knife threads than lump threads lately... Cutco and Henkles here 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Thanks for the input.  I was a butcher at one time so I am comfortable using very sharp knives.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I am a big fan of the Global Knives. Not too expensive, very well balanced and last forever.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited November 2016
    I have Globals and just recently a few  Shuns including the premier 8"chefs knife which is truly elegant and a piece of art that is sharp as a razor and has a wonderful balance and feel. I also have two Shun Sora line knives which in my opinion are like the Victorinox of Asian knives. A quality knife with a reasonable price point.  The Sora's are also razor sharp and have a VG-10 cutting edge welded to a japanese steel upper. The weld is a very attractive wave pattern on the blade. They have nicely shaped vibrox handles with an Asian flare that feel very good in my hand. I have the 6" Shun Sora chefs and a utility knife. Both knives were under $90 individually, and carry a 10 year warranty. here is a pic of the Sora  6" chefs knife. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    The Victorinox knives are relatively inexpensive and get very good reviews by America's Test Kitchen and others.   The important thing is to treat them well (e.g., store on a magnetic strip rather than in a drawer) and learn how to sharpen them.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ElkhornHusker said: Thanks for the input.  I was a butcher at one time so I am comfortable using very sharp knives.
    I would go with your prior experience for the "gut feel" and then give the recommendations here a look.  Easy to spend your $$.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I use the Sams Club knives. Cheap, good, and I replace them when they dull. I even toss them in the dishwasher. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • The Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife is on sale at Amazon for $28 right now.  Just grabbed one at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have many knives, but one brand that's relatively inexpensive and performs will is Zhen.  They have VG10 cores that do the actual cutting, and about 1/3rd the price of Shun.
    Sweet100s said:I had a terrible experience with Cutco a couple years back.
    I had an amazing experience with Cutco a couple weeks ago.  I have one Cutco paring knife my parents bought about 50 years ago.  The teenage son in a family from our church was selling knives to raise money for college, so my folks bought a couple.  This paring knife has been through more dishwasher cycles than there are Andy Griffith reruns.  The wood handle is still in good shape and the serrated blade is still reasonably sharp.

There was a Cutco kiosk in Costco a couple weeks ago.  I stopped and mentioned to the guy I had one my parents bought 50 years ago.  He gave me a pamphlet and told me I could send it in for reconditioning.  They would sharpen the blade, and if I wanted their new composite handle they would replace the handle.  If I wanted to keep the wood, they would recondition the wood.  ALL FOR FREE.

Hard to beat that kind of customer service, not to mention the durability and longevity of the knife itself.  Made me kinda wonder why I have been buying Henckels all these years instead of Cutco.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Brason said:
    I am a big fan of the Global Knives. Not too expensive, very well balanced and last forever.
    +1 on Global. They are my go to. I used Wustoff standard wedding gift "set" for years. Advice-- don't buy a set. But a good chef knife, a paring knife and maybe something serrated and you are set. A whole set is a waste IMO
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • i dont spend alot on knives anymore, find a knife with a VG1 or VG10 core and your good to go. theres deals out there without breaking the bank. for what its worth, i dont think ive used any knife other than a 10 inch chef, a cheap serrated bread knife, and a fillet knife  in the last several months. if i did not clean fish i would not have used the fillet knife. so what im saying is stay away from sets, buy a descent chef knife and learn to use it. you will buy another one down the road anyways, we all do =)
    What do you use to fillet? I need a new filleting knife.  I have only really used Rapala
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • fishlessman
    i dont spend alot on knives anymore, find a knife with a VG1 or VG10 core and your good to go. theres deals out there without breaking the bank. for what its worth, i dont think ive used any knife other than a 10 inch chef, a cheap serrated bread knife, and a fillet knife  in the last several months. if i did not clean fish i would not have used the fillet knife. so what im saying is stay away from sets, buy a descent chef knife and learn to use it. you will buy another one down the road anyways, we all do =)
    What do you use to fillet? I need a new filleting knife.  I have only really used Rapala
    have rapala, dexter, wustoff, global. the one i use the most is a leech lake fillet, its sharpened on both sides, one side for tough skin and bone. its good for crappie, perch and salmon up to 4 pounds, after that i need something bigger for skinning but still use the leech for filleting etc. have bandaids ready, filleting with wet hands and a double sided knife is scary, this ones an original, his son makes them now

fukahwee maine

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Amazon currently has this Victorinox 8" Fibrox discounted to $28.  
    Seems like a decent price given the reviews.  

DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    have rapala, dexter, wustoff, global. the one i use the most is a leech lake fillet, its sharpened on both sides, one side for tough skin and bone. its good for crappie, perch and salmon up to 4 pounds, after that i need something bigger for skinning but still use the leech for filleting etc. have bandaids ready, filleting with wet hands and a double sided knife is scary, this ones an original, his son makes them now

I fish Leech Lake often. Great fishing. Nice looking knife too. 
  • i dont spend alot on knives anymore, find a knife with a VG1 or VG10 core and your good to go. theres deals out there without breaking the bank. for what its worth, i dont think ive used any knife other than a 10 inch chef, a cheap serrated bread knife, and a fillet knife  in the last several months. if i did not clean fish i would not have used the fillet knife. so what im saying is stay away from sets, buy a descent chef knife and learn to use it. you will buy another one down the road anyways, we all do =)

I heard of these just the other day.  I fish northern pike and walleye, the northerns can get large but a knife like that would be sufficient.  I was on their website a couple days ago but they didn't really explain the edge on the back, is that to break the scales for initial cut?  do you cut from the belly up to the spine behind the gills with it to not cut through the scales, or do you just saw through the scales?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2016
    the backwards bend hooks the bones slightly to help cut them where the regular side slips over them. same with scales. this video shows crappie where you slice the fillet off the bone, if filleting salmon or big trout its more common to slice thru the bone and remove them later. the backside works its way thru heavey scale easily. northern pike are just getting set up in the area, i did not grow up with those available but i know thru catching grass pickerel thats altogether different than filleting most fish. im sure it would work with them

https://youtu.be/Rq1qjUUBS5Y

fukahwee maine