Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Options
2»

Comments

• bigalsworth
    Options
    the backwards bend hooks the bones slightly to help cut them where the regular side slips over them. same with scales. this video shows crappie where you slice the fillet off the bone, if filleting salmon or big trout its more common to slice thru the bone and remove them later. the backside works its way thru heavey scale easily. northern pike are just getting set up in the area, i did not grow up with those available but i know thru catching grass pickerel thats altogether different than filleting most fish. im sure it would work with them

https://youtu.be/Rq1qjUUBS5Y

That is exactly my style of filleting so that is awesome, and it looks like a leech lake knife purchase is in my future.  Northern pike have an extra set of bones called "Y" bones and if you cut them out you potentially cut out a lot of meat as well.  Many people throw them back because of this, but really it is super easy to leave the Y bones in, cook the fish, and then just take your fork and cut lengthwise up the fillet halfway between edge and the center of the fillet, this will expose those bones and you can pull them out.  There are ways to get rid of the Y bones while filleting without losing a ton of meat but I'm not that good at it and I'm okay with just pulling the bones out after cooking.  Also northern pike can taste bad if you have a shallow lake that greens over the summer, if you have a nice clean fresh lake they taste great.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but to help with part of the question the op asked, I would go try a few different handles out in a store to find what is comfortable for you.  I have always used traditional western knives, but I now have a japanese knife with a round handle and I find it so much more comfortable to use, but its not for everyone.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the backwards bend hooks the bones slightly to help cut them where the regular side slips over them. same with scales. this video shows crappie where you slice the fillet off the bone, if filleting salmon or big trout its more common to slice thru the bone and remove them later. the backside works its way thru heavey scale easily. northern pike are just getting set up in the area, i did not grow up with those available but i know thru catching grass pickerel thats altogether different than filleting most fish. im sure it would work with them

That is exactly my style of filleting so that is awesome, and it looks like a leech lake knife purchase is in my future.  Northern pike have an extra set of bones called "Y" bones and if you cut them out you potentially cut out a lot of meat as well.  Many people throw them back because of this, but really it is super easy to leave the Y bones in, cook the fish, and then just take your fork and cut lengthwise up the fillet halfway between edge and the center of the fillet, this will expose those bones and you can pull them out.  There are ways to get rid of the Y bones while filleting without losing a ton of meat but I'm not that good at it and I'm okay with just pulling the bones out after cooking.  Also northern pike can taste bad if you have a shallow lake that greens over the summer, if you have a nice clean fresh lake they taste great.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but to help with part of the question the op asked, I would go try a few different handles out in a store to find what is comfortable for you.  I have always used traditional western knives, but I now have a japanese knife with a round handle and I find it so much more comfortable to use, but its not for everyone.
    im looking forward to catching a big northern in my lake, theres been a few around 40 inches caught but most are under 20 from what ive seen. deep lake of clean drinking water, its just a matter of time. hate cleaning grass pickerel with those y bones, ive taken to just slicing off the two "backstraps" and tossing the rest ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigalsworth
    Options

im looking forward to catching a big northern in my lake, theres been a few around 40 inches caught but most are under 20 from what ive seen. deep lake of clean drinking water, its just a matter of time. hate cleaning grass pickerel with those y bones, ive taken to just slicing off the two "backstraps" and tossing the rest ;)
    Big northerns are nice, but they pull like logs.  Its the smaller ones, under 8lbs that are fun, the fight like hell.  If you don't use leaders you might want to while fishing for them.  Its not necessary but can save you a hook or two, they swallow them deep.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I've been using Henkles for 20 years.  Got a set as a wedding gift.  Keep 'em sharp with a set of Gatco honing stones and they've always provided good service.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Was given some Mac knives from Japan for Christmas. Pleased with them.