Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HyVee and La Quercia, blowing the motherload

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
Eating breakfast with dad, strolled back to empty the bladder, and there it was....the full line of La Quercia out of Norwalk, IA.  This HyVee in Milan is the only one in the area with all 5 Prosciuttos, up to the Acorn.  It was hanging there, staring at me. lol

Ho...lee...Fock.

Dude at the counter was super cool, insisted on shaving off some Speck on the Hobart to try...I caved.  

Another out of body culinary experience.  My wallet is going to take a serious hit this holiday season.  Would love to get my fat paws on some Acorn.

Nephew Q tried it.  The guy said you're in trouble when the kids get a hold of it.  He's right, nephew loved it.  Although he's confused on team loyalty, his words when asked were on point.
"Buttery....salty, soft, smooth....smokey...all I know Uncle Pook is that it's good, my mouth is watering." lmfao

Just thought some Midwestern eggers might want to explore this.

They're doing a charcuterie, wine, cheese tasting from 2 to 4 tomorrow, 30 bucks a head.  Gramps is penciled in to watch the kiddos for a few hours.  Can't wait!

As always, thanks fer lookin'
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    That looks pretty tasty.  I doubt our Hy-Vee has it even though it is a big store.  The new thing down here for Hy-Vee is the  Market Grills going in.  People are saying it is pretty good. 
    https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Man, I miss everything pork-related from my days in IA. La Quercia was just starting up when we lived near Iowa City. Good stuff. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I just drove by the place where the rumored Hyvee is going and noticed they broke ground. I can't fricken wait! The local grocery chain here in town lacks big time in the meat department. So looking foward to Hyee showing up. Even though the local grocery store is 20 second drive from my house. Acorn feed prosciutto is outstanding. Hard to beat with any cut of meat. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    Yeah our Hy-vee was the first to have this. 50th and Mills Civic in WDM, it is awesome, love the hard salami cut super thin, so much flavor! As for Hy-vee Market Grille, besides every time I order online they look at me as if I was an alien, the food is actually really good and really cheap.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    That looks pretty tasty.  I doubt our Hy-Vee has it even though it is a big store.  The new thing down here for Hy-Vee is the  Market Grills going in.  People are saying it is pretty good. 
    https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/
    They handed out free coffee for a month cards for our breakfast, which was great.  Some of the old timer vets I went with on the Honor Flight meet at one just about every morning.  They're grumbling about the change, because it was stupid cheap before the upgrade.  Still cheap now.  I applaud it though.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man, I miss everything pork-related from my days in IA. La Quercia was just starting up when we lived near Iowa City. Good stuff. 
    It so is, and worth getting shipped to your door cali, just sayin'.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JT272929 said:
    Yeah our Hy-vee was the first to have this. 50th and Mills Civic in WDM, it is awesome, love the hard salami cut super thin, so much flavor! As for Hy-vee Market Grille, besides every time I order online they look at me as if I was an alien, the food is actually really good and really cheap.
    It takes a lot to tickle my fancy, and that lingering array of flavors got me giddy at HyVee today as we walked out.  Best thing, the associate knew what he had, all of it....very helpful.  This will hurt so good. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I just drove by the place where the rumored Hyvee is going and noticed they broke ground. I can't fricken wait! The local grocery chain here in town lacks big time in the meat department. So looking foward to Hyee showing up. Even though the local grocery store is 20 second drive from my house. Acorn feed prosciutto is outstanding. Hard to beat with any cut of meat. 
    V,
    HyVee is top notch bud, all around, great organization.

So glad they're branching out to your neck of the North woods.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Another score at my local HV is Milton Creamery cheese curds and their quark cheese.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Das some pricy Puerco. Of course ours is priced per 100 grams. That coke I bought back in the day doesn't seem so extravagant now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Just checked Google Maps, all I can say is, " Road Trip!"

IL 
  • Focker
    Options
    Das some pricy Puerco. Of course ours is priced per 100 grams. That coke I bought back in the day doesn't seem so extravagant now
    Yes it is, but worth it. Was introduced to them earlier this year on an Iowa Ingredient episode.  They don't Fock around.
    https://youtu.be/ZwEs0ajSWmE

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Love the Illinois beanie with the Hawkeyes sweatshirt!  Does he have Spartan socks on?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Options
    Love the Illinois beanie with the Hawkeyes sweatshirt!  Does he have Spartan socks on?
    Cyclone socks. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Focker said:
    caliking said:
    It so is, and worth getting shipped to your door cali, just sayin'.  =)
    La Quercia products are available at my local Central Market (sort of a gourmand grocery store, and prices reflect that). But I've had IA pork shipped to me more than once :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bow chicka wow wow

Harvest Ale,
    from l to r
    Speck, Tamworth Americano, Comte, Piccante.

The Americano is heavenly.  

Kind of skipped over the BS, went straight to bourbon, beer, then prosciutto, with a sprinkling of cheeses.  Keep going back to the Speck.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm not sure what half of that stuff is but it looks delicious.

Probably not the same thing but I have a ton of acorns in the back yard. You are welcome to them if you want them.  =)
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Guess I'll have to make a trip over there to check this stuff out.  Headed south next week and may need to snag a couple tasty treats to take along.  Been looking for a reason to visit that meat market with all the brats anyway.  The hat really should go, though ! 
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys, it was mind blowing.

@Bentgrass,
    You got to sit down for one of these.  This was the second charcuterie tasting, and they're growing.  Cannot be beat for 30 bucks per person.

Between the bourbon, wine, beer, charcuterie, and cheese, my fat a$$ got so much more than my money's worth.  They even sent me home with a to go box full of La Quercia Speck, my favorite of the offerings.

Picked up a log of this Nduja spicy prosciutto spread.  Straight up fire on good bread.  Sooo good.

The Columbus Genoa Salume was excellent.

Another great video on their operation in Norwalk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78JlGOe4UE

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Bentgrass
    Options
    I am embarrassed to say that I am going to google what this stuff is.  Guess I have led a very sheltered life culinary wise.. I didn't know it was going on.  Looks incredible !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    I am embarrassed to say that I am going to google what this stuff is.  Guess I have led a very sheltered life culinary wise.. I didn't know it was going on.  Looks incredible !
    Bentgrass, it really was incredible.  Before you go, call and make sure John, or executive chef Brandon is working, great guys, with a passion for this.  They will take good care of you. 

Meatheads is a great stop.  They have the grinder mastered out there.  I have a pack of their Gummi Bear brats to try in the freezer.  Their Bloody Mary brats with Zing Zang, and Chicken Spinach Mozzerella are really good.  So many different flavors to try.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HondaHawk
    Options
    It's great. 

I live in Norwalk. 

Go Hawks!
  • Focker
    Options
    HondaHawk said:
    It's great. 

I live in Norwalk. 

Go Hawks!
    Nice!  Next time through, I'm stopping for a tour. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Did I mention you suck Brandon! Jk of course. I'm really jealous. Enjoy my friend!
  • Focker
    Options
    Did I mention you suck Brandon! Jk of course. I'm really jealous. Enjoy my friend!
    Next time I hear of another tasting, I'll let you know.  Would be worth a trip to the QC for you guys.  Just make sure the wife drives home.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Next time I hear of another tasting, I'll let you know.  Would be worth a trip to the QC for you guys.  Just make sure the wife drives home.  ;)
    It's a date!
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    It's a date!

LMAO
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Some people have all the luck. Wonderful post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Some people have all the luck. Wonderful post.
    Thanks much Ron, and all started by having to go to the restroom at the grocery store.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities