Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you guys start your fire?

Options
I am having some trouble with  getting my temperatures right. I can do pretty good at holding a constant temp but the Egg is choosing the temp and not me. 

I fill the fire ring with BGE lump then use a fire starter cube in two places in the lump. The bottom is open but the screen is closed and I leave the top daisy wheel off. I think I have been shutting the lid too soon.

I want to hold my temps somewhere in the 200 - 300 range but I keep blowing up to 500+. Or the temp drops down to 150 as I think I am snuffing the fire.

I need advice.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You have enough fuel, so your temps are all being driven by airflow.  If your temps are too high, you simply need to close down your vents further.

Eventually the temps will settle in to what you want.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The title you chose is about starting the fire, but the problem you describe is a completely different problem of temperature control.  You said what you do when starting the fire (leave the daisy wheel off, for example), but you didn't say anything about what you do after the fire is going to control the temperature.

I assume you put the daisy wheel back on again when shooting for 300° or below, and I agree with @JohnInCarolina that the problem has to be too much airflow.  So either you have the top and bottom vents open too wide (for 250°, for example, they're both going to be open just a tiny bit), or you have a big leak in the gasket or something.  If you do the "dollar bill test" and close the gasket on a dollar bill and see whether there's some resistance to pulling it out, and do that again and again all around the gasket, you should be able to tell whether you have a decent seal.  If you do, then it pretty much has to be that you have the top and bottom vents too open if your dome temp is 500° or more.  Again, for a 250° cook, both the top and bottom vents would need to be open just a tiny bit.  Try opening the bottom vent only 1/8" and the daisy wheel also almost completely closed.  If there's no leak, I guarantee you won't get 500° and probably you'll actually have to open them up a little more.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I get the bit about closing down the top and bottom vents.

But when in the process do I do that? Also how long after starting the fire before I should shut the lid. It seems when I try closing down the vents the temp drops elow 150. Am I snuffing out the fire by closing down too soon? 
    MiniMax 04/17

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Weber cube for low and slows electric starter for grilling starts a bigger fire
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

But when in the process do I do that? Also how long after starting the fire before I should shut the lid. It seems when I try closing down the vents the temp drops elow 150. Am I snuffing out the fire by closing down too soon? 
    for your low and slows shoot for a temp between 235 and 275, i never try to get any closer than that even though its pretty east to do. it just is not necessary. you need to catch temps on the way up, if you over shoot, the fire gets to big, too much lump is lit, and adjustments then swing more heavily.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

In general I find that it is pretty difficult to snuff out a fire once it's going fairly well.  Just wait a bit and see what happens.  Eventually those low temps will start to creep back up.  

I get mine going pretty good (to where there is plenty of smoke and some flames), and then I drop in my platesetter and close things down to where the vents are such that I'll eventually come close to my target temp.  When I do that the temps tend to be on the low side to start, and then they slowly creep up.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

I use a chimney starter to always start my fires- If I want 350+ I get a good fire and dump in egg, if I want low cook I get a small amount of lump going instead.

For lower cooks I only keep lid open for long enough to get all my parts inside then I leave the Top off and the bottom wide open.  As I see temp coming up I start shutting down the bottom, once I get to around 200 I put the daisy wheel on.  Eventually I get to 1/8" open on bottom and barely open on top.

Someone posted a visual guide one time showing how open to get different temps but this will give you a guide to lower temps

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Had I more effectively used "the google" I could have found this
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Many ways to get the BGE running in the low&slow range.  I open everything up and light in one spot slightly forward of center about an inch or two into the lump load.  Once I see around a softball sized fire going (about 10 minutes or so in) I load the hardware, shut the dome and close the bottom vent to around 1 " open.  When the dome thermo is passing 200*F I put on the DFMT and move the lower vent to about 1/2".  From there I dial it in to somewhere in the 240-275*F range.  Most BGE's have a sweetspot in the 230-270*F range where they settle in.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

I use a chimney starter to always start my fires- If I want 350+ I get a good fire and dump in egg, if I want low cook I get a small amount of lump going instead.

For lower cooks I only keep lid open for long enough to get all my parts inside then I leave the Top off and the bottom wide open.  As I see temp coming up I start shutting down the bottom, once I get to around 200 I put the daisy wheel on.  Eventually I get to 1/8" open on bottom and barely open on top.

Someone posted a visual guide one time showing how open to get different temps but this will give you a guide to lower temps

• noarmysargent
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with xfire. That is the only reason i use my gas grill anymore is for the side burner.  When i camp i use paper towel and cooking oil. When i am at home, i feel like I have better control using the chimney because you know it has lit. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    When I use a fire starter cube, I light it and leave the lid open until the flames are gone which is about ten minutes or a little less. Then I close the lid and let it get to 200, then I close the screen and let it get to 250, then I put in everything and put the smokeware cap back on and set the opening to an pencil eraser tip opening. Leave the bottom vent wide open with only the screen shut and control all temps from the cap or daisy wheel. 

It definitely drops to 150 and then starts to rise slowly once all the gear is in the egg. 

In other words, I follow the guide from smoking like a pro on the big green egg and it has been the easiest and best way to do temps for me. 

When i first started I had the same issue you are having and for me, I was closing the lid too soon, so the flames were making it seem so much hotter inside than it actually was, so I started chasing temps. Once I followed the guide in the book, I was all set. 

Then I bought a FB200 for low and slo after I learned how to control the temps. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    edited November 2016
    Options
    From the book smoking like a pro on the big green egg. These settings are all with the. IT Tom vent wide open and just the screen closed. 

And then he starts every recipe with this. 

“Set the Egg for 275°F (135°C) indirect with a drip pan, filling with charcoal to the top of the firebox. With the top and bottom vents wide open, light the fire and close the Egg. When the dome temperature gets up to about 250°F (121°C), about 10 minutes, close the bottom screen. When the dome temperature approaches 275°F (135°C), about 5 minutes, slide the top of the daisy wheel closed, leaving the petals halfway open.”

Excerpt From: Mitchell, Eric. “Smoke It Like a Pro on the Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Cookers.” Page Street Publishing Co., 2015-02-24. iBooks. 
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/D3cj2.l

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    I light a starter in the middle, wait 10-15 minutes, put in my wood, platesetter and grid then close the dome. I leave the DW open and close the vent to 1inch and let the temp rise and the white smoke die off. Once I get near 220 I close down the DW to where I want it for 225-275 and continue to let the smoke clear until I have the temp I want stable and clear smoke. Then I ad my food.
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I use a chimney (you can use whatever).  I always close the dome right away with no cap and bottom vent wide open to get a draft going and so I can watch the airtemp inside with the dome therm.  like said above, I dump the chimney when it's the right size fire for what my target cooking temp is low, med or high.  lid is closed except when I open to dump the chimney, put in grates, ceramics, etc., then I watch and start fiddling with the airflow as the temp comes up. if I put in a platesetter, then it just takes a little longer for the temp to start to creep up. 

like cooking a large piece of meat, it's the momentum you need to pay attention to, make smaller adjustments as it moves toward your target temp rather than trying to hit the brakes all at once and stop on a dime.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Fire management..

Fire management can be tricky because of the variables that you cannot control..humidity, wind, charcoal type....etc..For long over night cooks set everything wide open for 45 minutes....once the cooker is to temp, throw the meat and daisy wheel wide open and shut the bottom vent to 50 percent, leave it be for ~15/30 minutes, check it, it the temp, if is still dropping, do nothing...let it go for another ~15/30 minutes, check it, if it is still dropping open the bottom vent slide 1/8 to 1/4 inch...and let it go for ~15/30 minutes...check it, if dropping still, open it the same amount as before...the effort here is to eventually find the sweet spot and control the variables listed above to the best of ones ability for the cook on that night. These variables will change on about every cook.

When I say the daisy wheel is wide open, that does NOT mean the slide is open, it means the little star at the top is wide open. 

And if the temp continues to climb, just follow the instructions to the inverse.

If it is windy...all efforts are futile and probably going to have to baby sit it every hour .

Too add...Don't freak out if you are trying to cook at ~225/250 and you see the cooker spikes to 375...it will not affect the finished product...I had my smoker hit 425 once on a windy night...tried to settle it back down to 225 and it never happened...the smokers sweet spot that evening was 275 to 325 for the rest of the cook...

the brisket was awesome...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• michigan_jason
    Options

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    From the book smoking like a pro on the big green egg. These settings are all with the. IT Tom vent wide open and just the screen closed. 

And then he starts every recipe with this. 

“Set the Egg for 275°F (135°C) indirect with a drip pan, filling with charcoal to the top of the firebox. With the top and bottom vents wide open, light the fire and close the Egg. When the dome temperature gets up to about 250°F (121°C), about 10 minutes, close the bottom screen. When the dome temperature approaches 275°F (135°C), about 5 minutes, slide the top of the daisy wheel closed, leaving the petals halfway open.”

Excerpt From: Mitchell, Eric. “Smoke It Like a Pro on the Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Cookers.” Page Street Publishing Co., 2015-02-24. iBooks. 
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/D3cj2.l
    I have that book but I forgot about it. I'll go back and read it now.
    MiniMax 04/17

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    Some good advice on fire management in this thread. I use a harbor freight heat gun to light my egg. works great and quickly, and when it burns out after a year or two I can go buy another one for $8. Just make sure you can remove the front guard over the heat tube on whatever model you buy. on low and slows I get a 6-10 inch area going near the center and then let that run with bottom vent wide open and lid open for 10 minutes or so. add my indirect gear and close lid, but left daisy wheel off and bottom vent open. as I see Temps climb past 200 I shut bottom vent down to between half an inch and an inch and put daisy wheel on with petals wide open. adjust from there. 

If I am doing a higher heat cook I'll light 2-3 areas. 
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Everyone has some good advice here. I light my large egg much the same way as you - and for that reason I'll describe my method. I fill my large up to the top of the fire ring. I light one firestarter cube in the center if the egg - I usually dig out a little hole with my finger and snuggle the cube in between some lump. Once it is lit I just watch it for literally a minute to make sure the cube is burning well. I open the bottom vent all the way with the screen closed. I add the platesetter and close the lid. I open the slider and the daisy wheel at the top wide open. I set an alarm on my phone for 15 minutes and go start preppping supper. When the alarm goes off I go out and check the temperature - I expect it to be maybe 200 degrees - if it's all well I reset the alarm for another 10 minutes and go back to work on supper.

When the second alarm goes off I usually see a rapid rising of temps. I'll often stand around a bit with a frosty beverage and wait for the egg to approach target temperature (assuming I'm looking for something in the 250-350 range). When the egg is near target temperature I close down the top and bottom vents to what experience has taught me is the right setting. For a 250 degree cook the bottom is open about 1/4". I leave the daisy wheel closed and slide the cover within 1/4" or so of closed. Go back in the house and keep fixing supper. Check the egg again in 15-20 minutes to tweak the temperature if necessary.

Ok, did it take 30-40 minutes to come to temp? Yes, but I don't care - it takes me that long to get a meal ready to put on anyway. This method works for me. It's different than most but here it is as an option.

As others have said, if your temps are too high you are letting in too much air. Close the vents more... You'll figure it out soon.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I usually start off with a beer or two.
    Then everything seems to work out, eventually. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,112
    Options
    With fire.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SaintJohnsEgger   You might try raising the temp more slowly.  It's easier to level out where you want to - as opposed to full airflow, and then trying to stop on a dime.

Phoenix 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I am having some trouble with  getting my temperatures right. I can do pretty good at holding a constant temp but the Egg is choosing the temp and not me. 

I fill the fire ring with BGE lump then use a fire starter cube in two places in the lump. The bottom is open but the screen is closed and I leave the top daisy wheel off. I think I have been shutting the lid too soon.

I want to hold my temps somewhere in the 200 - 300 range but I keep blowing up to 500+. Or the temp drops down to 150 as I think I am snuffing the fire.

I need advice.
    Spend $200 and get a Digiq DX2. It'll hold your temp within a few degrees after it gets stabilized. I drove myself crazy playing with vents and finally dropped the $$.
    neve looked back
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Here is a quick question.....for the chimney starter folks on their gasser side burners.....how much lump do you put in the chimney?  Just enough to get a fire going, or do you fill it up?

Livermore, California