Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison ribs

Anybody have success?
Figured on my quest to try something different, we would give it a whirl.

Walkerswood marination overnight for its punch,  a la Karubecue(which would make my own feces delectable), using the standard IA wild cherry. 

220s for 4-5 hours until toothpick tender?

Have poked around, some guys parboil, or foil.  I'll spritz every so often, but don't see myself boiling or foiling.

Any help, recommendation, is appreciated.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Never tried it before, but always wondered.... Staying tuned to your post to see. I'm sure you searched it, but this link below seemed like something easy enough to adapt to the egg and your marinade plans. Like I said, haven't tried it so can't say either way, but worth a read @focker.

http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?p=1379
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Luvnlife said:
    Never tried it before, but always wondered.... Staying tuned to your post to see. I'm sure you searched it, but this link below seemed like something easy enough to adapt to the egg and your marinade plans. Like I said, haven't tried it so can't say either way, but worth a read @focker.

http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?p=1379
    Thanks for sharing.  Those ribs look awesome.  I think I'll foil in the WSM now.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    looks great. I usually do a milk bath for a couple of hours on venison roasts or tenderloin.  Not sure that would help a lot here though.  For fear of drying out, I would probably basket weave bacon across the top.  toothpick tender seems right since I don't know that you will get a lot of pull-back from the bone with so little fat.  Staying tuned though!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    We have experimented with them multiple times, and never had results worth duplicating.  That being said, we used Texas deer, which are smaller and tougher than northern deer.  I am assuming by the Quad Cities mark and the picture, those came from a heavier deer.  

Venison doesnt have the marbling or enough fat you can render for ribs to turn out really well.  When we have cooked them, we ended up with drier, tougher meat.  Some turned out decent and people ate them, but not good enough they were worth the effort.  

I think foiling is a good choice.  Bacon is good advice also.  I agree you will need to add some fat to it.  Also, from what I remember, we got minimal pullback, if any on the bones.  We just made judgment calls on thinking the meat was as tender as it would get, any longer cooking would just dry it out.  We could of been wrong on our judgment calls as well though.

I am interested in the results though.  If they turned out well, please post details on the cook including deer info if known(sex,size,type,region).  I am able to hunt different areas, might try saving the ribs if I can get a deer similar to yours if you have good results.    

Disclaimer - I am picky when it comes to venison.  For Texas deer, I only use the backstraps/tenderloins for any kind of steaks and grind up all 4 quarters for hamburger meat or I make my own jerky.  I will cut steaks out of the hind quarters from northern deer though.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Cool!  Definitely share the results here.  That's one piece I've never heard anyone cooking from deer and am not sure why.   Looks good in the picture!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Tried last year and won't do again. The tallow just isn't pleasant. Maybe there is a way to render it but then I expect the ribs to be dry. Either way, eat them hot because as soon as they get below molten, they are gonna get waxy. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Thanks guys for the advice.  Not really expecting much out of this, and have only some time, charcoal, and a few spoonfuls of WW invested.  But here we go with hickory and apple.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    How'd this turn out brother Focker?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    bgebrent said:
    How'd this turn out brother Focker?
    Still underway bud, just foiled with a bottle of Red Stripe.  

Kids are having smores by the fire pit, adults hopefully edible ribs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Out of the Red Stripe bath, painted with Walkerswood bbq sauce.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gmac
    I really, really hope they turn out awesome. 
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    So pulled at 4.75 hrs.  Betty ran hot, 300 through the 2 hr braise.  This was the most important part.  Huge thanks to @Luvnlife for sharing the link.

Not gamey at all, tasted similar to beef.  
    Now, you do have to channel your primal instincts to work through some fat that will not render, membranes.  It didn't taste bad though.  The hickory and jerk heat really helped even things out.  Guys, this far exceeded my expectations.  The meat was tender, peeled easily off the bone and membrane after a 20 min rest loosely covered in foil on the plate.  A different doneness texture than pork.  I went in not expecting it to be.

I will take a more traditional spicy bbq approach tomorrow with the other slab.  Glad I had second thoughts at work on the carcass, and took my Dewalt sawzall back over to my brothers the following night.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gmac
    Super glad it worked out. 
  • Luvnlife
    edited November 2016
    So happy it worked out @focker now I'm ready to try it! That looks like an awesome cook!! Only jealous I couldn't try them too. 
  • Glad they were edible. I went through a few runs with them and just couldn't get over the gamey flavor even with the soaking and rub. 

Maybe ill I'll give them another run. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Makes me want to go sit in the stand!  Great looking cook.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Focker
    Thanks guys, we were all caught off guard. 

3 Neanderthals, standing at the sacrificial altar in the kitchen, drinking SA Octoberfest, and destroying these ribs with no plates, utensils....buddy said he needed to watch the Revenant.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2016
    2 for 2.
    Went for a traditional spicy BBQ approach, Game On after I chucked the Holy Cow.

Braised with a can of Dr Pepper, Stubbs' Original paint at the end.
    Betty ran at 270s, 280s during the 2 hr braise.
    Aged for a few days in the fridge, they were awesome.  Nice ring too, smoked them at a lower temp.  Meat just peeled off the bone, no gamey, off flavors.  Another shout out to @Luvnlife.  This method works.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Luvnlife
    Right on! Glad to see @Focker those look really good. Nice job on the cook, even got the smoke ring.... You're making me hungry. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Thank you for posting. Never tried it on the BGE due to past experiences. Never even close to good in appearance, flavor or texture.
    Will try @Luvnlife suggested recipe, next time I get the chance.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    This looks like a good candidate for sous-vide.....food saver them with your marinade....let go about 5 hr @ 130.....then sear on grill.....
  • Focker
    55drum said:
    This looks like a good candidate for sous-vide.....food saver them with your marinade....let go about 5 hr @ 130.....then sear on grill.....
    Great suggestion.
    I pondered that, but these ribs are Uuuuge.
    Would need to use a garbage bag to SV. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Glad they turned out well for you! I personally haven't tried them smoked but do cut off for grind meat when processing! I see a cook like this in my near future! Thanks for the post
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Glad they turned out well for you! I personally haven't tried them smoked but do cut off for grind meat when processing! I see a cook like this in my near future! Thanks for the post
    Thanks @CountryBoy,
    Much respect for grinding, that's a lot of work.

I was really surprised how good both racks came out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities