Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What exactly is an Eggfest?

Options
I'm a newbie here so I apologize in advance for asking, but what exactly are these Eggfests you speak of? Is it a contest? Do you pay to give away food? Or is it just a gathering of enthusiasts?  The reason Im asking is I will be picking up my first egg (a demo egg) this weekend at the Central FL Eggfest. Also included with the egg are 2 tickets to the event. This is my first BGE and Eggfest... I am curious as to what I am getting into. 
Orlando, FL 

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I think you should go in completely blind and get ready for your mind to be blown!  (i've never been either, but I have a pretty good idea what it is you will be attending)
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Eggfests are organized and sponsored events where volunteers show up to cook amazing food, mostly at their cost, not entirely.  Tasters who pay to attend do so and eat amazingly well.  There are enthusiasts and vendors.  Discounted prices on demo eggs as you know.  Smart way to buy an egg.  It's not a contest, it's a food fest.  They are fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    I'm a newbie here so I apologize in advance for asking, but what exactly are these Eggfests you speak of? Is it a contest? Do you pay to give away food? Or is it just a gathering of enthusiasts?  The reason Im asking is I will be picking up my first egg (a demo egg) this weekend at the Central FL Eggfest. Also included with the egg are 2 tickets to the event. This is my first BGE and Eggfest... I am curious as to what I am getting into. 
    Everyone dresses up as it it were Halloween. There is a prize for best costume. Since you are getting a good deal on the egg, you should put some extra money into your costume...perhaps you may have an even more successful day.

Edit....just bustin on ya. Go have fun, but don't dress up in a costume.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    First, leave your wallet at home.  These scoundrels will convince you that you need $100 thermometers, multiple cooking surfaces, and more gadgets than will fit in your car.   Don't ask me how I know this.  

In reality they are local/regional get togethers where typically a BGE dealer sponsors an event where guys like us demonstrate our skills. Think of it as happy hour in the asylum.   Guys and gals cook for the masses because, well, that's what we do.  We like to feed people amazing delicacies.  You are not expected to cook.  You will sample others' great food and say "holy moly that was amazing".  

You are wise to buy a demo egg.  Great bargain.  

Two words of advice.  Figure out where your second refrigerator/freezer will go.   Ensure your home equity line is ready to be tapped.  And pre-register for AA meetings.  And lastly, if you're not on a statin, get your Dr. to prescribe one. And lastly, put your city/state in your signature line.  

Welcome to the cult. Drink often but responsibly. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    @Rad5 Welcome to the Forum!  Eggfests give you opportunities to see how other cooks use their BGEs.  Use the event to ask lots of questions. Whenever the cooks aren't too busy, they are usually more than happy to show you the ropes.  Ask other tasters, too.  Hopefully the Central Florida Eggfest will have a First Time User class for you newbies.  Don't go too overboard on getting too much stuff just yet until you get some basics down.  Trust us...you get it soon enough down the road.  Start saving $ now.  Good luck and let us know how it went.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    After you figure out an eggfest, go to an unofficial forum event like Butt Blast or Brisket Camp. Much fun to be had at no (event) cost. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the Eggfest.  Every Eggfest has its own flavor depending on the venue/sponsor/attendees. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    On a serious note, make sure you are prepared to handle and haul your new baby! It will likely be hot and heavy. Do some research and talk to the eggfest people about what they recommend. Pickup truck and a means to secure the egg. 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The eggfest you are going to this weekend is a newer/smaller eggfest and will be a good one for you to see what eggfests are all about. Each fest is different and you won't know in what way until you go to a few.

You will get ideas on what and how to cook on your new egg. You won't be pressured to spend any further $$ at the fest. Everyone will be really helpful answering your questions. Just go and enjoy your day.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Damn it, now I wanna go!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Eggfests have a no tokin' policy.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I'm going to the fest this weekend as well. First for me. 
    I want a thermapen. Anyone know if they will be selling them there?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @Rad5 welcome to the cult! As you were told go and have fun! See you at Butt Blast in April 2017
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Is there a website that has information about Eggfests and similar events all in one place? We are doing another road trip next year, June time, would be great to attend one of these events, just need to plan it in.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Is there a website that has information about Eggfests and similar events all in one place? We are doing another road trip next year, June time, would be great to attend one of these events, just need to plan it in.
    http://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • tikigriller
    Options

I actually love the Green Egg More!   (And many many many other things)

Livermore, California
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options

I was just kidding, I did not think you were hoping to light up at an eggfest. Although, they do have eggfests in California. =)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I'm going to the fest this weekend as well. First for me. 
    I want a thermapen. Anyone know if they will be selling them there?
    Only if the dealer selling the demo eggs is selling them, you might want to call the dealer and ask them if they sell them.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I used to cringe when I would read about eggfests where there was voting for the best of this and that. While personal competition may occur between friends then so be it, but eggfests should be FUN tests - not contests. Took me a couple years to get that point across to my dealer after I witnessed displeasure from eggers when it was contest oriented and people never returned. Now 13 years later we have a regular group who come and cook for each other and the crowds and enjoy the comradery!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    RRP said:
    I used to cringe when I would read about eggfests where there was voting for the best of this and that. While personal competition may occur between friends then so be it, but eggfests should be FUN tests - not contests. Took me a couple years to get that point across to my dealer after I witnessed displeasure from eggers when it was contest oriented and people never returned. Now 13 years later we have a regular group who come and cook for each other and the crowds and enjoy the comradery!
    I am all for competition, and laugh at the "everyone gets a trophy mentality" that is so prevalent today, but I agree with you. One of the funniest things I have ever seen was someone losing it because they lost a halloween costume contest. Several others did not "go postal," but did get their noses out of joint. I don't see where something similar to that would promote the egg.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

The Nature Coast Eggfest has a peoples choice competition and it's well received by all. Cooks can opt out of the competition and I always do because I just want to cook on an Egg and have fun.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

The Nature Coast Eggfest has a peoples choice competition and it's well received by all. Cooks can opt out of the competition and I always do because I just want to cook on an Egg and have fun.

Because it's embarrassing to win, year after year.  Why you opt out.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tikigriller
    Options

I was just kidding, I did not think you were hoping to light up at an eggfest. Although, they do have eggfests in California. =)
    Totally!!!  But I would love to do it at an egg fest. :lol: 

Livermore, California
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks All! I have truck to bring the egg home. Hopefully it has cooled down enough to warp some moving blankets around it before I strap it down. Don't want no humpty dumpty!
    Orlando, FL 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    bgebrent said:

They have rules if you do, have to do 3 different items at certain times and I'm to lazy to comply............... :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:

They have rules if you do, have to do 3 different items at certain times and I'm to lazy to comply............... :)
    Laziness is one of my very favorite attributes
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    Thanks All! I have truck to bring the egg home. Hopefully it has cooled down enough to warp some moving blankets around it before I strap it down. Don't want no humpty dumpty!
    Either take the guts out or wedge the firebox and fire ring tightly is a great idea in case you hit a bump on the way home. BGE warranty doesn't cover cracked shells from flying fireboxes - and besides guts out mean easier to carry.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Look for Tiki's Brownies at your local eggfest, 
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Options
    RRP said:
    Rad5 said:
    Either take the guts out or wedge the firebox and fire ring tightly is a great idea in case you hit a bump on the way home. BGE warranty doesn't cover cracked shells from flying fireboxes - and besides guts out mean easier to carry.
    Good idea! Thanks!
    Orlando, FL 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Regarding the demo BGE-as above, a great deal on a once cooked BGE.  Hopefully the dealer has a plan to empty your BGE of the lump before you depart-there have been a few stories of the BGE deciding to restart during the ride to the new house-don't be that guy.  
    Also good advice to start slowly with accessorizing as you will have plenty of time to spend those $$.  And spend you will.
    In addition to asking lots of questions at the fest and here, above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.