Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan

Options
A few drip pan questions.

Do they serve any purpose other than keeping your setter clean?  

Does it matter if you just put water in the pan or do things such as beer, spices, etc make a difference?

Is it safe to use the drippings of chicken/turkey for gravy?  I've seen setups where birds are cooked above pans for gravy or even other food such as veggies and it always made me nervous. 

Thanks

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I use one to keep my egg clean. I have tried liquid but not seen and difference water, apple juice and other stuff. I now use nothing but the dip pan.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    I make gravy out of drippings all the time and live to tell the tale. You can pick up one of those cheap fat separators to drain off excess fat. Although I leave a bit because IMO that is where the flavor is. My Gramma used to roast turkey in a roasting pan and then add carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, etc during the last hour. Grew up eating like that, probably not as healthy as a separate veggie dish but never suffered any illness from it. Interesting to see what others say. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Keeps the setter clean-keeps grease from running on the coals and imparting a bitter taste....ditch the liquid in the pan on any ceramic cooker...put foil balls under the pan so the pan is not directly on the plate setter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    That's what I figured regarding the liquid. I have been adding liquid to longer cooks because the drippings burn after a while when they hit the pan. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    That's what I figured regarding the liquid. I have been adding liquid to longer cooks because the drippings burn after a while when they hit the pan. 
    Make sure your pan is not sitting directly on your platesetter.  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    The drip pans you can buy from CGS are awesome.  When you wrap them in foil, they will not go all the way to the bottom of the PS, so when you put them in the PS, they do not touch the bottom at all, so you don't even have to use balls of foil.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Why are foil balls necessary to keep the drip pan off the surface of the platesetter?
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    rsterman said:
    Why are foil balls necessary to keep the drip pan off the surface of the platesetter?
    They aren't, you can use plumbing tees or 90*'s or 5/8" or larger nuts or anything that won't burn. The platesetter or indirect piece gets hot from the heat of the lump (radiant like) so you need something to produce an air gap so the drippings don't burn and ruin the flavour of what you are cooking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    A few drip pan questions.

Do they serve any purpose other than keeping your setter clean?  

Does it matter if you just put water in the pan or do things such as beer, spices, etc make a difference?

Is it safe to use the drippings of chicken/turkey for gravy?  I've seen setups where birds are cooked above pans for gravy or even other food such as veggies and it always made me nervous. 

Thanks

If you are going to use the drippings you really should use some kind of spacers between the indirect piece and the pan. If you have an Indian market near you you can usually get stainless pans about the right size for real cheap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    Bumping on the thread... The air gap is needed even if the pan is holding liquid?

How much distance for the air gap is recommended?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Haven't done any scientific research on the distances. I use half inch copper tee fittings. I never use liquid in the egg unless it's in a pot. All you will accomplish with liquid in a drip pan is holding your temp down.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Bumping on the thread... The air gap is needed even if the pan is holding liquid?

How much distance for the air gap is recommended?
    Depends on the volume of liquid in the pan. If there is not enough it will boil off and you'll end up with burnt greasy stuff.

1" ? 1/2" ?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Kiton2011
    Options
    I'm gonna try some chicken broth, diced onions, chopped celery & turkey neck in a roasting pan under the bird . I'm raising the pan off the plate setter so the liquid doesn't burn. Eventually I'm going to do a roux & mix all together for a gravy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .