Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all: I need a a step by step recipe for what you guys call the 3/1/1 or is it 1/1/3 method of cooking ribs

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Mike C.,
    Here is one posted by a fellow egger. Hope he does not mind the posting.
    Pork, Baby Back, 3/1/1.5 Ribs, Gfw's

Directions
    1 Baby back ribs are about my favorites. And my favorite method of preparation has become the 3/1/1.5 method - first let me say that the first part of the idea came from George T with his 3/2/1 method and my method is about the equivalent. Three steps...
    2 when the dome hits about 200 degrees I drop on some chips and put on the ribs - it will take about 10-15 minutes to slowly hit the 250 mark - smoke time.
    3 3 hours indirect at 250 degrees over firebricks and a drip pan. During this stage I turn every 30-45 minutes.
    4 1 hour wrapped in foil and back on the grill - still indirect at 250 degrees.
    5 1.5 hours split between indirect and direct, but still at 250 degrees. I generally put the ribs back on indirect for about 30-45 minutes and then remove the firebricks and drip pan and put them back on direct - at this stage, during the last 30-45 minutes, I will sometimes add BBQ sauce - but then again, there are other times when I don't.
    6 Don't worry about being exact and may sure that you watch the temp - last week I did the first 3 hours and noticed that the temp had risen to 300 degrees - only 45 minutes in foil followed by about 1 hour direct - great ribs - shorter time, but still the same great taste. Good luck and have Fun!
    A Blow by Blow Description
    First 3
    1 -12:26 PM - the ribs are on the grill. They were covered with the Memphis Style rub yesterday at about 3 PM and then rested in the Refrigerator until now. The BGE is at 225 and the drip pad is sitting on the traditional '|__|' firebrick setup. The drip pan has a little water.
    2 -1:15 PM - Just flipped the ribs - it's still a long time until 6 - time to mow the yard - next flip will be about 2:15.
    3 -2:06 PM - The bottoms have been up since the last flip. Now it's time to do it again - about every 45 minutes.
    Next 1
    1 -2:55 PM - The grass is mowed and for the next 45 minutes while I trim a few trees, I will commit, according to many BGE forum members, a sacrilege - the ribs are wrapped in foil and put back into the BGE. Over the last few months I have received several messages about results- not once have I received that didn't like the end result. The best ribs are the ones that you think are the best - not necessarily the ones that others like!
    Last 1.5
    1 -03:48 PM - The ribs are out of the foil and back on the grill. No, they aren't mushy but I'm sure that they will be tender. The dome temperature is about 240 degrees.
    2 In about 1.5 hours (5:15) I'll remove the two flat firebricks and the drip pan and put the ribs on direct. They are already starting to look good.
    3 -05:13 PM - almost time for the BBQ sauce - Click on the picture for a larger view - it doesn't look like the 1 hour of foil time did much damage! At 5:30 we'll add a little of Gfw's BBQ Sauce for the finish. Note the drip pan is gone - ribs are on direct at 240 degrees dome temp.
    4 -05:25 PM - 1st layer of BBQ Sauce applied to the bone side.
    5 -06:04 PM - ready to eat - and I ate them all!
    6 -06:30 PM - ALL GONE! again the picture speaks for itself! Try these ribs - you'll like em. Tonight's ribs are all gone - these are what I call "Pull off the bone" ribs - if you need a knife, they just aren't right. If the meat doesn't pull, they just aren't right. Done by the 3/1/1.5 method, the results were about perfect.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Gfw[p]Source: BGE Forum, Gfw

[p]

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    Mike C.,
    Also check out WessB's awesome guide
    http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/foilribs/foiled_ribs.htm[p]Personally have done this exactly as described several times and they are amazing

• stormyddog
    stormyddog Posts: 43
    Options
    I usually pour some apple juice and beer into the foil with the ribs, really gets them to that fall off the bone stage.
    Stormy

• Unknown
    Options
    Richard,[p]Two things I consider to be important. [p]First, when in the foil, be sure you have meat side down in the liquid as you want to braise the ribs (grid temp is at 250 to ensure the liquid boils). [p]Second, when you open the foiled ribs give a twist to a couple of bones to ensure they are as tender as you want. Some of us want the ribs to fall off the bone, others don't. [p]Good luck
    Howard