Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just want to remind ALL BGE folks to be careful when cooking on their Big Green Egg

Options
Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion but here goes.  I bought my older model large Big Green Egg 3 years ago from an individual who rarely used it.  I loved this monster.  I was like a proud mama.  I take full responsibility for what happened and I know I have no right to any warranties. The only purpose of this message on this Forum is to warn others not to get too complacent when using your Egg, like I did this past Sunday night.  After finishing grilling steaks, around 8pm, I failed to shut down the bottom vent of my Egg.  Around midnight, we were awakened by the police banging on our door telling us our house was on fire and to get out immediately.  We grabbed the dog and once outside, watched as the side of our home, fence and deck, was engulfed in flames. Our amazing fire department put out the flames quickly, nobody was hurt and the damage we sustained was exterior only.  Thank goodness we have an insomniac in our neighborhood who looked out at just the right minute and saw the flames.  On Monday, my husband and I were cleaning up the debris from our neighbors yards and I collected approximately 20-30 shards and pieces of what once had been my pride and joy.  We will never know for sure exactly what happened, but it appears to have exploded due to the heat buildup. The Fire Marshall reminded me of things that I knew but had pushed aside in the back of my mind: be vigilant about shutting down the vents properly, place your Egg on a fire resistant surface, not directly on a deck with no protection underneath.  Be sure that your Egg placement is not under soffits, overhangs or near gutters or downspouts, and be cognizant of your shrubs and low hanging tree limbs.  We were very lucky, we know this, but I still feel like I have lost a very dear friend.  I am mourning the loss of my Big Green Egg, but happy to be here writing on this Forum. Stay safe, folks. 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Glad to hear that your family is safe.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Wow.  This is scary, as there have been nights prior to egging, when one too many beverages were taken in and I forgot to turn off the gasser before only to be out of propane the next day!

Thanks for the reminder and glad everything is going to end up being OK.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Bte
    Bte Posts: 3
    Options

Still a huge BGE fan. Just a fan with a renewed respect for its power. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for reaching out with your first forum post to provide a very personal reminder regarding cooking outside, and especially with charcoal and any wood products.  Glad it was exterior damage only but as you note it could have been much worse.  That's the first explosion I have heard about.

Edit:  That's the right approach-back on the horse.  BTW-your dome cap must have been extremely effective in sealing the BGE.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Exploded due to heat build-up? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bases can crack with low temps too, had a fire from a cracked base doing a low and slow overnight, fortunately the fire went out for whatever reason on the deck. eggs dont belong on decks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't understand how it could have exploded.  For an explosion you need a lot of contained pressure to suddenly become uncontained, with the bottom vent open your BGE couldn't have built up any pressure.  You sure it didn't bust up after it fell (because whatever it was sitting on was on fire and burning up?) Was the top vent left open?  Was the bottom vent wide open?  I would think if the top was shut, but the bottom open, the fire would go out.

Glad everyone is okay!!  We got ours used too (came with the house) and the stand almost caught on fire one night because there was nothing beneath the egg, it was sitting on the ceramic feet on top of a wooden box.  Thankfully it was a fast cook and I was keeping an eye on it and caught it before there was actual fire.  I went out to check on the food and noticed smoke coming from *under* the egg and realized what was happening.  We'll be rebuilding the deck this winter along with the BGE stand, and the new stand will have no wood near the BGE to avoid any potential for fire.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    bases can crack with low temps too, had a fire from a cracked base doing a low and slow overnight, fortunately the fire went out for whatever reason on the deck. eggs dont belong on decks
    Or wooden tables.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Star_TrEGG
    Options
    @Bte Glad you and your family are safe.  Hope you get back on the saddle soon.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad it ended as well as it did. I'm not sure I understand the "exploding egg" thing though. Unless it was right next to a propane tank or cylinder.

We see pic after pic on here of eggs (and gassers) sitting on attached wooden decks, under roofs, too close to windows or doors (carbon monoxide). My own egg is too close to the house, too close to a window and, while not ON a wooden deck, is right next to one.

I think it's time to make a few changes. Not sure what I'll do, but I need to do something!  As do many others on here.

Thanks for posting.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Very happy you and your family escaped injury.

As long as we have a safety thread, I'll just add one small note. If you light your lump with a propane torch like I do, please take the extra five seconds to put on a pair of safety glasses first. A stray spark hitting your eyeball can put you in a world of hurt (ask me how I know).
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Wow!  :o

I'm glad everyone was safe!

I actually verbalize my shutdown (it's the pilot in me  =))

Bottom vent - closed
    Daisy wheel - stowed
    Top vent cap - installed
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Your Egg wasn't close to a tanerite Supply was it?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, hopefully you insurance is good and glad to hear the safe outcome.  Come back soon to show off that new egg, it's not like replacing a dear pet, they're just as good.  That's amazing it exploded.

I've certainly done the same as @tikigriller with my gasser
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Strong first post!  Great reminder.  Glad y'all are safe.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. We all likely have moments where we don't treat our Eggs with the respect we ought to. Your story is a powerful reminder that it shouldn't be so. Glad everyone was okay. 

Once you get the new Egg up and running, I suggest you have your vigilant neighbour over to thank them for their part in reducing the tragedy. On second thought, any good Chinese takeout in your neighbourhood?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    This happened to my sisters friend in late September...

"I don't even know where to begin. Wednesday night I was grilling for the family and had an accident with the propane tank and it set fire and engulfed me in it's flames."

Still going through Burn Treatments on her legs- never did see how it happened.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Or wooden tables.

When I had mine on a deck (and my son does now), we use 3x5 piece of hardibacker board (used as underlayment for tile (walls or floor)) it is concrete-esk and fire retardant. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    HeavyG said:
    Or wooden tables.

When I had mine on a deck (and my son does now), we use 3x5 piece of hardibacker board (used as underlayment for tile (walls or floor)) it is concrete-esk and fire retardant. 
    Not enough. Chris Cappel (@Dizzy Pig) had his egg on his driveway a good 10-15 away from his open garage door. Lost his house.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options

Bte said:
    Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion but here goes.  I bought my older model large Big Green Egg 3 years ago from an individual who rarely used it.  I loved this monster.  I was like a proud mama.  I take full responsibility for what happened and I know I have no right to any warranties. The only purpose of this message on this Forum is to warn others not to get too complacent when using your Egg, like I did this past Sunday night.  After finishing grilling steaks, around 8pm, I failed to shut down the bottom vent of my Egg.  Around midnight, we were awakened by the police banging on our door telling us our house was on fire and to get out immediately.  We grabbed the dog and once outside, watched as the side of our home, fence and deck, was engulfed in flames. Our amazing fire department put out the flames quickly, nobody was hurt and the damage we sustained was exterior only.  Thank goodness we have an insomniac in our neighborhood who looked out at just the right minute and saw the flames.  On Monday, my husband and I were cleaning up the debris from our neighbors yards and I collected approximately 20-30 shards and pieces of what once had been my pride and joy.  We will never know for sure exactly what happened, but it appears to have exploded due to the heat buildup. The Fire Marshall reminded me of things that I knew but had pushed aside in the back of my mind: be vigilant about shutting down the vents properly, place your Egg on a fire resistant surface, not directly on a deck with no protection underneath.  Be sure that your Egg placement is not under soffits, overhangs or near gutters or downspouts, and be cognizant of your shrubs and low hanging tree limbs.  We were very lucky, we know this, but I still feel like I have lost a very dear friend.  I am mourning the loss of my Big Green Egg, but happy to be here writing on this Forum. Stay safe, folks. 

Didn't explode from heat buildup. Don't think that is a possibility. I use a big shop vac with the hose in the exhaust to get mine hot and have never had anything but a cracked base. I did have an egg "related" fire as well and extend you all best wishes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Glad y'all are safe.  Agree with @fishlessman Smoking L&S can start fires too.  And possibly worse because most of us don't babysit it for 12-24 hrs.  Hot & Fast you'll usually see it happen.  Either way good PSA.
    https://youtu.be/p0osfUMvtzo
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    A friend and I went help one of his relatives cut down a tree, and after that they cooked steaks for us. While we are eating, I learned that the house had been rebuilt because of a fire. So I am sitting there thinking we are eating a steak cooked on a charcoal pit that is sitting on a wooden deck that is connected to a house that had to be rebuilt because it burned down. What is that line from Ron White?
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Sounds like I will be moving mine off of our composite deck and put it on the concrete slab next to the deck
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Sounds like I will be moving mine off of our composite deck and put it on the concrete slab next to the deck
    I'm just hoping my composite melts and doesn't burn 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am so sorry about the fire. I am glad you and your family are safe. Will you be replacing your egg?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just thought I'd add - it's always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher within reach of your Egg while cooking. I keep one about 25 feet from the Egg (inside the house), but even then, I should really keep one right within my Egg table. 

Good for protecting your house and loved ones (or in @Mickey's case, putting out smouldering wings).  ;)
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Glad no one was hurt. So sorry this happened but glad no one was hurt.  I do keep mine on cement patio beside my deck. It is not as convenient but I do feel safer. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm grateful that you and your family are safe, and even that the damage apparently was less than it might have been.

I used to have my BGEs in wooden tables, but after a few stories like this one, and many pictures of wooden tables that were charred or simply burned down, I now have my Eggs in a cinderblock table sitting on firebricks, all with a stone surround, and before I go to bed I go out with a flashlight and make sure that no kidding, the Eggs are cool and everything looks fine.  I feel silly about it, sometimes, because they're always fine, and it's just hard for me to picture how a fire could start given where they are, but this story just made me feel a lot less silly.  Thanks for the reminder to us all!
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options

Not enough. Chris Cappel (@Dizzy Pig) had his egg on his driveway a good 10-15 away from his open garage door. Lost his house.

I remember reading about that on the old forum (which I guess is really this forum). I believe a spark shot out of the lower vent. For those of you who roll your egg out of the garage to cook, spin the egg so the vent points away from anything that you don't want to get burned. The screen should stop this, but sometimes the screen is not closed.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I would assume the egg cracked and then "exploded" in the resulting fire.  Leaving the bottom vent open with the rain cap on is not unsafe (except you waste lump).