Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen poll

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    ...also allowed to be as judgy as you want to be.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bobroo said:
    I think anyone who purposefully misuses such a well designed tool like a $100 Thermopen thermometer for something other than what it designed for is pretty disrespectful.

You are allowed to be as stupid as you want be in this country though.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

I don't owe any product respect if I've spent my own money on it.  If I want to use it to dig in the garden, that's up to me.

That said,  I choose not to use my Tpen for uses outside those intended.

Phoenix 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Never tried either but it could work in a pinch I guess
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    No and no. 
    That's what spatulas are made for............not $100 Thermapens. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've pulled it with a thermopop before, but if moving 5 ounces of protein is going to do serious damage, it ain't that well made.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No & No
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I've flipped accidentally while deep probing, the meat got a grip on my probe and wouldn't let go. Had to shaky shake the probe out
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I've flipped accidentally while deep probing, the meat got a grip on my probe and wouldn't let go. Had to shaky shake the probe out
    This happened to me in my twenties 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Always protect your probe when deep probing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    That's why they call me swivel hips....
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    No and No
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I figured it was only a matter of time before this went south  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    No 

Options
    blasting said:
    bobroo said:
    I think anyone who purposefully misuses such a well designed tool like a $100 Thermopen thermometer for something other than what it designed for is pretty disrespectful.

I don't owe any product respect if I've spent my own money on it.  If I want to use it to dig in the garden, that's up to me.

That said,  I choose not to use my Tpen for uses outside those intended.

Someday I hope the original poster finds something that they really appreciate. 

Better yet, someday I hope they create something they really appreciate and are proud of. 

'Till then they are entitled to wash their car with the American flag as many times as they want--'ya know, 'cause you bought the flag, right?
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    It seems silly to get a high priced precision instrument that can make the difference between perfect cooks and guesswork and use it for something else that may damage it. I actually started using tongs not only for lifting food off the grate but for holding it properly while using the thermapen
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    bobroo said:

such disrespect, using a thermometer for an unintended use!

anyway.

i don't use my thermapens for anything anymore.  threw both of them out after they STB'd.

the water resistant one wasn't so water resistant.  and my oldest one worked for a short time again after i added a new battery, but within a couple weeks was already going mental on me again.

i cook by feel again.

but i don't think it is such sacrilege to flip a chicken breast with a thermapen if you really want to.  to each his own.

doesn't mean someone is "stupid".  i frankly think it means he does what he wants and isn't uptight.  lotta brand name worship on this forum. 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I probably shouldn't speak for other people but they probably meant abusive rather than disrespectful. A Thermapen is a precision instrument and I treat all 3 of mine as such. Using a Thermapen to flip meat is kind of like using a precision micrometer for a c clamp. It's yours, abuse it like you want.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    FWIW, I use my precision micrometer to measure my lump when I'm sorting it, and I use my thermapen like an ice-pick to break up any pieces that are too big.  I wouldn't try to lift or flip anything with it, straight in and straight out is how it was designed and I try to respect that.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Acn said:
    I've pulled it with a thermopop before, but if moving 5 ounces of protein is going to do serious damage, it ain't that well made.

I agree, there is more than 5 Ounces of pressure to even open it..I like multi use, not going to pick up a brisket with it...And If I break it, I'll buy another
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Acn said:

I agree, there is more than 5 Ounces of pressure to even open it..I like multi use, not going to pick up a brisket with it...And If I break it, I'll buy another
    Exactly.

You have to be really careful with the hotdogs and sausages though. When the probe comes out, they can squirt all over the place really hot......

Oh that could go south really fast.  I am stopping myself.

Carry on...

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yes and yes. I do it with a Thermopop. Small but mighty.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I use it to pick up chicken fingers and chicken breasts. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Yes it's multi-functional. You can even stick it up your ass the next time you're sick and check for fever.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No and no
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I use two of them like chopsticks and eat with them instead of the dreaded fork.
    I can make sure each bite is perfect temperature at a glance  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I use two of them like chopsticks and eat with them instead of the dreaded fork.
    Brilliant!   If a bite is a little cool, you can use one as a skewer.  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Dobie said:
    Brilliant!   If a bite is a little cool, you can use one as a skewer.  
    Oh yeah, perfect kabobs every time 
    Jacksonville FL
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited November 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    I haven't yet, but I don't see how it is any different than that tongue meet flipping thing that some use that poke the meat to flip it
    You mean a pig tail flipper? The curl on the flipper gives you control, but a staight probe  on a Thermapen is more of a chance especially if there are any adult beverages involved. One last thought I wonder just how resistant the Thermapen probe is to bending as it is designed to probe, not lift. Anybody want to sacrifice tgeir $90 TP for the answer? Didn't think so!  =)
    Thanks to you I ordered the Pigtail flipper, in both lengths. While I still have some practicing to do I'm finding them uber useful and effective, they just don't check temps worth a damn. Found my Thermapen does great at that though, it just would suck as a food flipper. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Here is the flipper I use. (When the Thermapen is out of reach :smiley: )  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    BilZol said:

Thanks to you I ordered the Pigtail flipper, in both lengths. While I still have some practicing to do I'm finding them uber useful and effective
    With a little practice you'll be flipping pancakes with them! And I'm not kidding!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.