Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt

Options
I have always been curious and skeptical about turboing a butt. My mind always pondered, how can cooking fast be as good as low & slow. So late on Friday, wife demanded pulled pork. Saturday morning I picked up an 8 pounder and on it went. I started out at 275° for a couple hours thinking to allow smoke to work it's magic then bumped up to 375°. Meat went on at 10:00 AM and was done at 5:00 pm. Pulled just like a low & slow and was delicious as usual! Regardless of the cooking method, I still cannot help myself with that darn bark! Wife warms me that I have no gallbladder anymore and sometimes eating too much fat punishes me but not this time. Flameboss was so helpful as we were running errands all day and my timer went off while at lunch. So nice to be able to bump the temp up from my phone!

--
Jeff
Near Twin Cities, MN
Large BGE

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    That looks soooo good. 

My whole thing about turbo, is when I have a day off and I am planning a longer cook, I just don't want to be in a hurry. I enjoy the amount of time it takes to cook it so far. Part of the fun. 

Agree with you about the Flameboss. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks good man.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Good looking hunk of pork there! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Nice looking.
    I only do them high and fast now.  I shoot for 350º and usually on for 5 hours or so.  Nice afternoon cook.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I typically do the same. Start off below 300 and then bump up after a couple hours. Brisket is my only cook anymore that goes more then 12 hours. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.