Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

27 pounds of Butt on One Egg!

Options
Jimbo
Jimbo Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should have taken a picture, I know, but for a big new years eve party I prepared 3 boston butts that I ordered from a local butcher.[p]I asked for 3 7-pounders as we were cooking for 26 folks for dinner and leftovers later. When I picked up the pork on the 29th, I found that on was 7 lbs, one was 9 lbs, and one was 11 lbs. That last butt was huge. I am now concerned on how to get them on my one large BGE.[p]I dry rubbed them with Barbecue of the Americas rub from Penzey's Spices. A great rub BTW for those who haven't tried it. Anyway, I put the two big butts side by side on a large V-Rack, and the smaller one on top of the other two.[p]I used one Maverick remote probe on the largest butt and the other probe under the daisy wheel cap to monitor the upper dome temperature. Dome temp on the regular egg termometer stablized at 225* and the Maverick read 245*. I set the Maverick alarm at 285* for the dome probe and 200* for the butt probe.[p]It got down to 18* outside that night and the egg temperature bounced around all night. The temp would drop to 200*, and I would have to open the vent a bit to get it back up. Then the Maverick in the dome would wake an hour later me up to cool it down. This went on all night. If we could only get the Maverick to accept low and high temperatures, it would be a great temperature monitor![p]Anyway, they cooked for 24 hours, and still weren't done to my satisfaction: The small one was at 192*, the medium was at 185*, and the large on at 178*. I took the small but off the other two and put it on another v-rack and finished the butts seperately in our double ovens at 325*.[p]Only 16 people turned up at the party and we only ate 2 butts. We took the large one home. Yum.[p]I learned some time ago when doing 2 butts that they should not touch each other less the cooking time increase a lot in the areas of contact, but doing three this big left me no other choice.[p]27 lbs of pulled pork at one time.

Comments