Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lexington BBQ

Options
Im in North Carolina for a few days. Is it worth driving an hour for? 

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have had it before.....I think not......but I would drive 3-4 hours for some SC Low Country BBQ, hash and rice! Just kidding of course.

All BBQ is good....some just better than others. @tarheelmatt can guide you in to some good places to try.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Smokey Joe's in Lexington.  Would I drive a hour there and a hour back to get some?  Probably not, but if you've got time to kill why the hell not.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    edited October 2016
    Options
    are you talking about Lexington BBQ the restaurant or to Lexington to try some Lexington style BBQ?

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Don't really know. I was originally thinking the restaurant, but i am open to suggestions. I am staying in Mooresville. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Go down to Charlotte to Midwood Smokehouse. You won't be disappointed! Pork, brisket, wings...all good!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Here's the BBQ trail map for NC. The place in Statesville is pretty close to you. Lexington is about an hour from Mooresville.  The BBQ Festival is Saturday, so you may want to avoid that area on Friday night and Saturday.  

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I enjoy Lexington BBQ (HoneyMonk )my self. Nothing like a chopped sandwich with a skin on it. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pasoegg
    Options

agree with Matt...go to Lexington BBQ restaurant and get a coarse chopped plate with a tea.  No lipstick on the pig and enjoy the taste of wood fired BBQ...especially if you are from out of town....Many good BBQ places in the town of Lexington.  If you have time, check out Lanier's Hardware in town.  Got one of everything and some stuff you blow the dust off cause you been looking to buy one for years but could not find one!!

Winston-Salem, NC

• acmoser76
    Options
    I don't have extensive experience with barbeque in Lexington, but I would highly recommend Blue Door Smokehouse. My wife and I went to visit one of her friends last year, and I found this place on Yelp. It's in a small, beat-up building next to a residential area. There were cars parked down the block for this place. We were there a little after 1pm and they had already sold out of their pulled pork. The brisket was some of the best I've ever had. The ranch baked beans were excellent too. Not sure if it's worth driving an hour for, but if we ever get back to Lexington there's no way I'm not eating there again.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • flexfusion
    Options
    By all means check it out.  We lived in Greensboro for ten years and went there for lunch at least twice a month.  It's great!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Can't go wrong with Lexington BBQ

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    Can't go wrong with Lexington BBQ

The top pic looks really good. The bottom looks like fried rice, but still looks good.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    In Mooresville area give Boss Hog BBQ in Sherril Ford, off Highway 150 a try.    Lancaster BBQ in Mooresville is decent also.  They have a lot of nascar themed stuff in the restaurant!  Fits the local flare!  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Or try Randy''s Bbq in Troutman.  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Chuck, as Matt suggested Honey Monks don't even think about the famous one...you will be disappointed! There is a small one on 64 east just out for town (Randys) that is pretty good.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've only been to Lexington once, ate at the Lexington Barbecue, and it was wonderful!  I like smokier barbecue than NC BBQ tends to be, so I asked for "brown," which includes more of the bark, and it was really wonderful.  Typical Lexington-style BBQ emphasizes the flavor of the pork, and they don't put much of a sauce on it (mostly a little vinegar) and it's not very smoky, compared to Texas BBQ, for example.  But my "brown" chopped BBQ was just delicious, the fries were just perfectly cooked, the hush puppies were great, they were hot and fresh.  It was simple, old fashioned food wonderfully done.  I've never eaten anywhere else in Lexington so I can't compare.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I have been to Lexington BBQ restaurant and I will never go back...... just not my kind of Q. For me it was boring with little flavor. I don't care for vinegar as a sauce. I do like the BAR-B-Q CENTER have eaten there 3 times and always leave full and happy.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Bar-B-Q Center is very good and I don't think it gets enough love in the local Q community. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I used to wear this place out 15 years ago...

• flexfusion
    Options
    Jupiter Jim I believe taste is in the eye of the beholder's tongue. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    I don't have extensive experience with barbeque in Lexington, but I would highly recommend Blue Door Smokehouse. My wife and I went to visit one of her friends last year, and I found this place on Yelp. It's in a small, beat-up building next to a residential area. There were cars parked down the block for this place. We were there a little after 1pm and they had already sold out of their pulled pork. The brisket was some of the best I've ever had. The ranch baked beans were excellent too. Not sure if it's worth driving an hour for, but if we ever get back to Lexington there's no way I'm not eating there again.
    Are you talking about Blue Door in Lex Ky?  Or is this a crazy coincidence?  Sorry friday beverages are in full swing for me already
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • pasoegg
    Options

Place was good back then...They have went to frozen hushpuppies and they are terrible.....hard as my youngin's head...BBQ ok but in Lexington you better bring the full game...everything needs to be on point and fresh or the patrons will sniff you out.  I remember pulling in there with my truck and bass boat and went to the curb service side and eating in the boat.  It was really good but that was 15 years ago.  I can't recommend them anymore.

Winston-Salem, NC

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    pasoegg said:

Place was good back then...They have went to frozen hushpuppies and they are terrible.....hard as my youngin's head...BBQ ok but in Lexington you better bring the full game...everything needs to be on point and fresh or the patrons will sniff you out.  I remember pulling in there with my truck and bass boat and went to the curb service side and eating in the boat.  It was really good but that was 15 years ago.  I can't recommend them anymore.

I must admit, Speedy's has declined lately. My FIL likes it there. I got a chopped sandwich with a skin on it from the Monk and it mighty tasty. 

Here lately I've been recomended HoneyMonk and BBQ Center. Cooks BBQ is also good, but off the beaten path. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site