Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas and pulled pork

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum

We started off our weekend making pizzas. When we don't plan ahead, we've been using the Tom Thumb/Randall's/Safeway pizza dough and splitting it into 4 balls and making 8" pizzas. Started off trying to come up with an ABT pizza. Started with Philadelphia Chive and Onion cream cheese spread, then some mozzarella, bacon and jalapenos.

Got distracted and let it get away from me a bit more than I liked, but it still tasted good. I think next time, I'm going to dice up the jalapenos instead of rings as there was only one bite of heat per slice.

Duke got pepperoni which he had no interest in eating that night.

Prosciutto and arugula and not sure what was on the fourth. Mrs. G threw the whole fridge at it. If I had to guess, pepperoni, bacon, prosciutto, salami and mozzarella and buffalo mozza.

Later that night, the butts went on. I found out a friend of mine has been really sick and the doctor's couldn't figure it out. After about a month, they figured out it was West Nile followed by meningitis. So one of the butts was going to him and his wife. 225F with hickory and pecan.

Took a picture first thing in the morning. Not quite done, but the last one I remembered to get on the Egg. Temp bumped to 250F.

Duke found a golf ball and decided that the ash tool would make a perfect golf club for him and no, it doesn't really work that well. Guess we are going to have to get him some toy clubs.

The only shot I managed to grab of one of the butts being pulled. After taking it over to my friend's house and visiting, I was wiped out and too tired to get a pic of it plated up. Hell, I was almost too tired to even want to eat...almost.

No cooking on Sunday, but we did take Duke to the Fair for the first time. Not sure what I was doing in this pic. Duke had a great time and loved the corn dogs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Great Pics! Lil Duke is growing fast. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Great pies and butt.... and Duke most of all..... do you know how hard it was for me to type DOOK?   LOL
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great looking pizza's and pork. Delicious. I have done the za abt. It is much better with chopped peopers. Also added some chopped green onion. Worked nicely.
    The ash tool could replace my sand wedge. I'd hit it about the same.
    Duke is all boy, thats for sure and growing up fast. Definitely making mom and dad very proud.
    Great post thank you for sharing.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Food looks fantastic. Hope your friend is feeling better soon, some fresh pulled pork like that can't hurt. Outstanding work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Great pics @Griffin.  Pizza and pork are always favorites.
  • Griffin
    Options

@GATABITES thanks. I can't believe it myself. Some times I still shake my head and say to myself "I have a kid? When did that happen?"

@JohnnyTarheel haha. Sorry.

@YukonRon Thanks. Definitely will chop the peppers next time and will try some green onion. He is all boy. Two speeds...go and sleep.

@StillH2OEgger he's getting better day by day, gaining some strength back. He had actually fallen asleep right before I showed up, but his wife gave the scoop. He texted later thanking me. It was a surprise and he had no idea it was coming.

Rowlett, Texas

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Excellent post! Food too.

The ash tool isn't a Driver... it's a sand wedge. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Griffin
    Options

What do you do when you have all that leftover pulled pork? Make tacos, which my wife did. Or tostadas, which I did. Took the pork and simmered it in chicken broth along with some cumin, oregano, chile powder, onion and garlic powder and some black pepper. While that's warming up, fry up some corn tortillas. Take the tortillas, spread some refried beans on it, add the pork, some white ontions, cheese, cilantro and hot sauce. I tried both Monterrey Jack and Queso Fresco because that's what we had on hand and I preferred the Jack.

So after, eating pulled pork sandwiches for two meals, tacos for one and some for lunch today, giving away a good chunk, of the 18lb pre-cooked pork, we were still able to freeze 3 - 1.5lb bags for future use.

Rowlett, Texas