Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I'm going to do a cook with mine tonight or tomorrow.   If I like the results, I am going to go back to my Lowes and try the same thing.  It's just too good of a deal, especially if they go cheaper on the price.

Stupid Question...I assume lump has no expiration date.........

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I'm going to do a cook with mine tonight or tomorrow.   If I like the results, I am going to go back to my Lowes and try the same thing.  It's just too good of a deal, especially if they go cheaper on the price.

Stupid Question...I assume lump has no expiration date.........

Shelf life of a million years.......

Charcoal is the oldest manufactured product known to man.  Not because it necessarily is the oldest, but it's the oldest known since there's no way to destroy it without burning it.
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    picked up 2 boxes today, will hopefully try it soon. just gotta finish off half a bag of Rockwood and half a box of Black Diamond first
    LBGE circa 2016
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Focker said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    Center cut is the best by far, you can use it straight out of the box and you don't even have to sort it.
    Exactly. Whatever you do, don't use a kab with it. The small stuff will fall thru and this stuff is gold. Carry on. 

No need for a KAB. Just gently create a pile of lump with what's in the egg. Why use a KAB to have good lump break apart? This lump has very, very little ash. You make absolutely no sense since you have not tried this lump.
    And you make zero sense with your anti kab stance since you don't use one. Now get out your scale and weigh some of the precious lump. You know, for us "Non-believers".  

I will continue. Just added 2.3 ounces for another cook. With a vey low ash content, the Char-Broil Lump does not need to be shaken; just gently rearranged into a pile before lighting. There is absolutely no need to waste money on a KAB if you buy this lump.   
    I didn't waste any money on mine. The time it saves on clean up was worth it to me. I just shake, dump in lump and light. Your apparently playing lump Jenga gently rearranging piles. Or weighing the stuff. Lol...    
    Don't sh!t yourself @yljkt.  Yes, you did waste money on the KAB.

No, Focker, I didn't. Its all priorities. Time is money to some. My time to enjoy my eggs is sometimes scarce. So to me the investment was well worth it. Plus there's the money I'm saving on gloves. Lol! 
  • yljkt
    Options
    Legume said:
    well, by some calculations I've read, that's well over 2000 cooks, or over four years if you cook with it dinner every night and lunch on weekends
    Longer than that really. The stuff is so good that after a while you end up with more than you started with. Perpetual lump. Its the latest thing... 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    well, by some calculations I've read, that's well over 2000 cooks, or over four years if you cook with it dinner every night and lunch on weekends
    Longer than that really. The stuff is so good that after a while you end up with more than you started with. Perpetual lump. Its the latest thing... 
    EggHeadinFlorida I plan on plenty more while it's on sale.  While I don't like to buy years worth of lump, at the sale price it makes perfect sense.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    EggHeadinFlorida I plan on plenty more while it's on sale.  While I don't like to buy years worth of lump, at the sale price it makes perfect sense.

for 75% off, ill stock up for a few years lol

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Mikee
    Options
    I bought 5 boxes for $7.99 a box. I'll be stocking up as well. Not sure how many years worth I'll be buying; but it will be at least 2 years worth. I'd rather spend the $7.99 now than spend $24 next year. It's not just about the price. The quality of the lump is second to none. Next year it could be $30 a box.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    EggHeadinFlorida said:
    That thread is the most useless one I have read on here.  
    And you think this thread will be better? Center cut lump indeed. $22 > $15 > $8. What does that tell you?
    That Christmas trees are up at your local home improvement big box store 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I bought 5 boxes for $7.99 a box. I'll be stocking up as well. Not sure how many years worth I'll be buying; but it will be at least 2 years worth. I'd rather spend the $7.99 now than spend $24 next year. It's not just about the price. The quality of the lump is second to none. Next year it could be $30 a box.
    It might be that high by Christmas if Lump Jenga catches on. I'll see if I can get some here locally before the rush. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got 3 boxes today to try. Anyone know the weight on these feels like more than 10lbs but less then 20.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Lit said:
    I got 3 boxes today to try. Anyone know the weight on these feels like more than 10lbs but less then 20.

I asked earlier in this thread or another one and they said about 11.  I'm sure @mikee can tell you as it seems he weighs everything from lump to food for secret recipes.

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    I'm sure @mikee can tell you as it seems he weighs everything from lump to food for secret recipes.
    :lol:
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     This is the second time I posted that it weighs 11 pounds for these boxes. 
     Go on the charbroil website and it'll tell you there as well 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    So I am trying out the infamous $10 lump tonight, and would you believe, I filled up the fire box, came inside to get a lighting device and when I went back out there, this sh!t had lit itself and was already burning at 300!!!  This is amazing lump!!!!

Livermore, California
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How many ozs did you out in the egg? What size egg?   I hope the inferno didn't crack your egg!!   Standing by for updates.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yljkt
    Options
    So I am trying out the infamous $10 lump tonight, and would you believe, I filled up the fire box, came inside to get a lighting device and when I went back out there, this sh!t had lit itself and was already burning at 300!!!  This is amazing lump!!!!
    As long as you don't do an overnite chances are you will have more than you started with. It is truly amazing stuff. 
  • tikigriller
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok. Serious review. 

after using it tonight on a newly cleaned egg, I have 4 boxes in the garage that will only be used for emergency purposes. 

At direct with nothing but a grid and the porterhouse, bottom vent wide open, and top of smokeware cap removed, I ciould not get over 550. With the pizza stone in there, I could not get higher than 500. And contrary to some belief, this firebox looks like I went through more than half of it......it definitely did not accumulate. 

I am a rookie at all all this stuff, and tomorrow when I do my ribs, I will be switching to the BGE I have in the garage. This stuff is crap. Not worth $7 much less the $11 I paid for it. 

Stay away. Stay far far away. Don't let the "value" fool you. 

What at the helll am I going to do with these other four boxes. I so wish I would have done my research before trusting some opinions in this thread......and all I had to do was research around here!!!!

damn you Rockwood and your inability to be in California!!

Livermore, California
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bummer dude. Just be glad you did not buy skid loads of that stuff.
    Thank you for the information.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Well, at least you didn't buy a pallet.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've read reviews from folks on other forums that have been quite pleased with the stuff. Like many things, this is one of those YMMV situations.

Here's one:

I just used this in my WSCG this weekend. I found it burns clean and hot, but the best part was the size of the lump. Nothing to large, it all fit in my charcoal baskets. It, along with the charcoal grate set on high, put a nice sear on my steaks. Also, as with most lump, very little ash. 

It's a little pricy at $20 for 11lbs, but I will definitely use it again as its now my goto lump.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok. Serious review. 

after using it tonight on a newly cleaned egg, I have 4 boxes in the garage that will only be used for emergency purposes. 

At direct with nothing but a grid and the porterhouse, bottom vent wide open, and top of smokeware cap removed, I ciould not get over 550. With the pizza stone in there, I could not get higher than 500. And contrary to some belief, this firebox looks like I went through more than half of it......it definitely did not accumulate. 

I am a rookie at all all this stuff, and tomorrow when I do my ribs, I will be switching to the BGE I have in the garage. This stuff is crap. Not worth $7 much less the $11 I paid for it. 

Stay away. Stay far far away. Don't let the "value" fool you. 

What at the helll am I going to do with these other four boxes. I so wish I would have done my research before trusting some opinions in this thread......and all I had to do was research around here!!!!

damn you Rockwood and your inability to be in California!!
     That's weird.  I'm just now using this new lump for the first time I'm going to make some pizzas here shortly.
     It took me about 25 minutes to get the egg up to 500 deg.
     For the next 45 minutes I have been tweaking the air vents and I finally got the egg stabilized at 600°  
     Now I'm just waiting for the pizza plate to stabilize as well. 

One thing I noticed is I did not have any crackling sound,  and even with the bottom vent wide open and no cover on the dome I did not have any flames shooting out the top. It was just glowing like lava. 
     Also the egg was cleaned out completely  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Pizzas are done 
  • tikigriller
    edited October 2016
    Options

So when I went out to check the lump on Sunday, my cook from the night before went through almost all of the lump.  Not a single piece in the box was bigger than the palm of my hand.  I can see how this might be great for something smaller than a large, but it was horrible compared to BGE, which I used for the Ribs yesterday and it was  a noticeable difference.

Saturday Cook was a little more than half a box  of the magic lump.  300 for about an hour or so, and then attempt at getting it hot enough for pizza and searing.  total cook time on the egg between lighting and closing it down, a little over 2 hours.

All joking and kidding aside, I would never buy it again, and it is probably going to take me YEARS to use the 5 boxes I bought, as I will only use it when I am out of lump or just feeling way to lazy to go and buy some.

I am a believer that a sale is usually a good thing, as they just need to clear out product to make way for the next product or seasonal change. In this case, I would bet that the stores were all directed to blow this stuff out due to extremely poor sales as they move onto a different brand.  It will be interesting to see what brand finds its way into Lowes now that my Lowes no longer sells Cowboy Lump, Royal Oak, or now the Magic Lump.

I have Rockford Envy, as I would love to try that stuff.  If you just can't help yourself with the magic lump due to the price, my recommendation would be to buy one box and try it.  If it works for you, then great, take full advantage of the deal and buy a pallet.  My gut says the number this will work for will be small around here.

@eggheadinflorida your pizza looks tasty though!

Livermore, California
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @tikigriller thanks for the great review. I bought one box only, used it once and had similar experience. IMO it's probably suitable for Yakitori style table top grilling ... small cooker, clean burning, no smoke, no leaping flame. May also work as room deodorant or dehumidifier???  Won't be using it in my eggs any time soon though.
    canuckland
  • Mikee
    Options
    I still have 90% left of my magical box. Not sure if want to use or put it up for sale on Ebay.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Ha you have a magical box. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Mikee - if it makes you feel any better I can get 4 cooks from regular Kingsford briquettes on my mini.  It ain't magic it's just a very small chamber to heat up that doesn't need to be heat synced unless you are going indirect and from you post you are not.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    My wife has a.....no, I'll leave that one alone. 

Livermore, California
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    And no one has referenced The Who yet? Shame on y'all. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.