Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options
 Anyone use this lump?  I've never seen it before but at one of my local stores they have it on clearance for $8. a box
 According to charbroil website these boxes only way 11 pounds each  
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Is it Friday already?  =)
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     That thread is the most useless one I have read on here.  Out of all the post on all two pages there's maybe three or four people that commented on the quality of this particular lump everybody else went on a complete rampage  Lol
  • yljkt
    Options
     That thread is the most useless one I have read on here.  Out of all the post on all two pages there's maybe three or four people that commented on the quality of this particular lump everybody else went on a complete rampage  Lol
    Well if you think that's useless, find a little thread called "Devastated". Then maybe "Mangrates". Those will keep you busy for a while. Although I think there's a list of dubious threads somewhere, alot of them are gone. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Lol
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Center cut is the best by far, you can use it straight out of the box and you don't even have to sort it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    EggHeadinFlorida said:
    That thread is the most useless one I have read on here.  
    And you think this thread will be better? Center cut lump indeed. $22 > $15 > $8. What does that tell you?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    Options
    Legume said:
    Center cut is the best by far, you can use it straight out of the box and you don't even have to sort it.
    Exactly. Whatever you do, don't use a kab with it. The small stuff will fall thru and this stuff is gold. Carry on. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Also makes a great gift.

1. cut a hole in the box
    2. put your lump in that box
    3. make her open the box

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
     That thread is the most useless one I have read on here...
    You apparently haven't read enough threads here yet. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Well if you think that's useless, find a little thread called "Devastated". Then maybe "Mangrates". Those will keep you busy for a while. Although I think there's a list of dubious threads somewhere, alot of them are gone. 
    Actually, the "devastated" thread was great. The responses were all over the place. A woman has a broken egg, and knows that an egg forum is the only place where people will truly understand. Some did, some ripped her for the hyperbole, some offered to pitch in to buy her a new one, one member even offered to buy her one himself. Some suggested she made the whole thing up to get money, although all she did was say she was devastated because her egg was broken. Then the thread became PG13 or R, so someone suggested it be toned down because it might offend the lady with the broken egg. She responds that it is all good because she writes steamy novels. That thread was a smorgasbord.
  • yljkt
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Actually, the "devastated" thread was great. The responses were all over the place. A woman has a broken egg, and knows that an egg forum is the only place where people will truly understand. Some did, some ripped her for the hyperbole, some offered to pitch in to buy her a new one, one member even offered to buy her one himself. Some suggested she made the whole thing up to get money, although all she did was say she was devastated because her egg was broken. Then the thread became PG13 or R, so someone suggested it be toned down because it might offend the lady with the broken egg. She responds that it is all good because she writes steamy novels. That thread was a smorgasbord.
    As much as I enjoyed the "Devastated" thread...there were plenty of posts in there that cannot be unseen. Amazing its still there.  
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What is the thought on this stuff?  It's great?  Not so much?  And why is it on clearance at my local Lowe's for $10.99 (regularly $21.98)?   It's also $10.99 online but that just says "Sale" and not "Clearance" like it say at my store.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    EggHeadinFlorida said:
    That thread is the most useless one I have read on here.  
    And you think this thread will be better? Center cut lump indeed. $22 > $15 > $8. What does that tell you?
    here we go, another lump thread  =)

IMO the steep price drop is not because the quality is bad, since most people have no experience with this new coal on the block. I used it last night and loved it (disregarding the $ aspect).  I'd suggest some retailers are dropping the price due to one or all of these factors:
    1) Price appears too high relative to other brands, quality/quantity notwithstanding. 
    2) Supply and demand.
    3) End of season clearance, excess inventory, retailers needing valuable floor space for Halloween and Christmas stuff.
    canuckland
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Canugghead said 
    1) Price appears too high relative to other brands, quality/quantity notwithstanding. 
    2) Supply and demand.
    3) End of season clearance, excess inventory, retailers needing valuable floor space for Halloween and Christmas stuff.

Nailed it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Just because it's the new Friday-checked out the local Lowes on-line shopping and it's still priced at $21.98 / box.  If it drops to the prices listed above, I will give  it a run for something different.  End game-it all burns.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just because it's the new Friday-checked out the local Lowes on-line shopping and it's still priced at $21.98 / box.  If it drops to the prices listed above, I will give  it a run for something different.  End game-it all burns.
    My Lowes is selling their remaining 24 boxes at $10.99 per.

If I happen to be near them this week I might pick up a couple boxes just cuz.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • yljkt
    Options
    Well it is "All Natural", so there's that...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited October 2016
    Options
    but it's not as natural as Premium All Natural  =)

canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood
    Next.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Char-Broil boxed lump is so much better than any other lump. It raises the bar a couple of notches. I tried Rockwood and was not impressed. Tried this and was amazed. This is the lump that everyone dreams about. Lites fast and easy. Hit's high temperature at 500* in 5 minutes. No Smoke.  Stock up now while its on sale!
  • Mikee
    Options

Is this organic?

• Mikee
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    Exactly. Whatever you do, don't use a kab with it. The small stuff will fall thru and this stuff is gold. Carry on. 

No need for a KAB. Just gently create a pile of lump with what's in the egg. Why use a KAB to have good lump break apart? This lump has very, very little ash. You make absolutely no sense since you have not tried this lump.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Char-Broil boxed lump is so much better than any other lump. It raises the bar a couple of notches. I tried Rockwood and was not impressed. Tried this and was amazed. This is the lump that everyone dreams about. Lites fast and easy. Hit's high temperature at 500* in 5 minutes. No Smoke.  Stock up now while its on sale!
    Are you serious or kidding? Kinda hard to tell, especially the way this thread is going
  • Mikee
    Options
    lousubcap said:

lousubcap said:

lousubcap said:
    I got 5 boxes from Lowes for $7.99 a box. I will get more. Its by far the best bang at that price.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mikee said:

Is this organic?

Yes, of course it is.  I just chose not to exploit such an unregulated tag word everyone else tries to capitalize on.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Are you serious or kidding? Kinda hard to tell, especially the way this thread is going
    Pretty sure he's being serious.  And I agree.  I picked up a box last night to check out the hype.  It was far and away the best lump I've ever used.  Lit really quickly, no sparking, the entire firebox was raring and ready to go about 5 minutes later, and it burned beautifully.  I've tried most of the popular lumps and they are all fine.  Not too much difference to me.  I'm no lump aficionado though, but this stuff was way better.  Really the first time I've ever noticed a huge difference in a lump. 

Now I'm wondering how / why it's so much better?  It's the "center cut" feature?  Or are they doing something else different? 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    Options

I really did not feel like going to Lowe's today...thanks a lot....now I have to......

What is that equivalent to though in lbs?  This obviously is not the same as a 20lb bag of BGE.........I pay $29.99 for that......

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California