Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pest control and wood

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
I have some hickory and oak that is uncovered in my garage - I recently started having a bug exterminator guy spray for insects.

Was looking at the wood today and thought, if insect spray has gotten on that wood I probably shouldn't use it to smoke anything. 

Am I correct should I pitch the uncovered wood?
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    First thing I would do is call your exterminator and ask if he was spraying directly on the wood, thru the wood, behind the wood.

If he was dousing it with pesticide I don't think I would smoke with it. If he realized it was your smoking wood and was careful to spray around it and not on it I would probably smoke with it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If he did spray it, you could always use it in a fire pit, and cook over the red flower embers. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it was sprayed, do not use it for smoke wood.   Fire pit outside would probably be fine but I wouldn't hang around it until the outside charred up.
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Could just be borax/borates. Check with them before assuming death shall befall ye
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I used to be an exterminator. Not saying I'm right here but in general most of the insecticides used today don't have that long a shelf life. Usually about 30 days would be max depending on what it is. I'm not suggesting you use it. Wood is cheap but if you were to have done so inadvertently I am sure you would be just fine. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hans61
    Options
    gmac said:
    I used to be an exterminator. Not saying I'm right here but in general most of the insecticides used today don't have that long a shelf life. Usually about 30 days would be max depending on what it is. I'm not suggesting you use it. Wood is cheap but if you were to have done so inadvertently I am sure you would be just fine. 
    So throw it in the shed and use it after a month?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm not gonna say that. However, I think throwing it out in the rain would likely wash off anything you have on it. How much are you talking about?  Like I said, wood is cheap. Or if you have a pile, toss the top ones and the rest will be good. This would likely be a contact, not a fumigant so it only goes where it's sprayed. 

If if its blocks, split the outside off and they will be fine. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hans61
    Options
    It's not a ton, thanks for everbody's advice! I'll probably just burn it in the fire pit to stay on the safe side.
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Could just be borax/borates. Check with them before assuming death shall befall ye
    Troof!

Borax turns fire green but should otherwise be safe on your smoke wood.  Still, call them to find out what they used.
    Options
    gmac said:
    Yes, most organophosphates degrade quick into harmless compounds, especially when wet or in the sun.   If that's what the stuff is.  

Most of the good ol' organochlorine pesticides hung around forever.  That can be good or bad.
    Troof!

Borax turns fire green but should otherwise be safe on your smoke wood.  Still, call them to find out what they used.
    Jesus buddy. Can i post for once without getting a google follow up?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I remember a time when this place was much less unfriendly.  Good day, sir!
    Options
    The guy didn't tell me what he uses but said the wood should be fine
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Freddie's Pest Control was on duty last weekend.  The successful mole trapper.

Flint, Michigan
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Reading this thread just gave me a Celtic Wolf flashback.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I liked him. But dude was occasionally Captain Google. 

"I am a card carrying member of MENSA!"
  • Hans61
    Options
    I liked him. But dude was The original Captain Google. 

I had to google MENSA - agreed Stike is in that club :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I liked him. But dude was The original Captain Google. 

I had to google MENSA - agreed Stike is in that club :-)
    Stike is not in that club. Triple nines maybe

(actually, also not) 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Googling is fine. What I found funny was the way CW would google something and then try to convince everyone that he had always known it.
  • Hans61
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown is in that club?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    He is like the hair club guy in that old commercial, he is not just a member, he is the president.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Googling is fine. What I found funny was the way CW would google something and then try to convince everyone that he had always known it.
    That was my point
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @JustineCaseyFeldown is in that club?
    As i said on both accounts, no

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Diatemaceous earth for bugs.  Non toxic and itll wipe out insects.