Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The First Brisket Starts Tonight!

Options

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    No to foil. It gives everything a steamed taste and ruins bark. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sorry. Someone gave me a real easy strategy for burnt ends and I can't find it anywhere.   burnt ends are required by momma. When the brisket is done, do I separate point and then cube it right away or let it rest or put it back on for a while and then cube and carmalize?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    You have a great meteorite bark right there-no wrap.  Just give it a good 20 minutes on a cooling rack when you declare victory before the FTC til time to inhale.  Game on for sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Totally agree with @lousubcap on letting it hang out before putting it in the FTC. I've had several that overcooked in FTC due to this. Also, I read something on the forum here about allowing the meat to cool to ~140 before serving. I've done this twice now and it seems to have given me a juicier product than when I've sliced at 160-170 internal.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    @minniemoh Thanks!!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Meat hanging on at 200. Parts are.getting buttery but the thickest part is still not butter. Have already made the wife aware that her burnt ends will be a late night snack cause I'm not going to rush this baby until I have buttah!

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Ok. I hit 205. Parts are definitely like buttah. Center is still not what I would call buttah, but it is smooth. How long and how high do I go before just calling it done?

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As mentioned, if the great majority is there, pull it and let it sit on the cooling rack for around  20 minutes then FTC.  The FTC should bring it all home.  Great eats await.
    Edit:  we are talking about the thick part of the flat??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Off the grill. 

Livermore, California
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    That is an insane bark, can't wait to see a sliced pic! 
    LBGE
  • tikigriller
    Options
    No burnt ends. Starting frozen, I just don't and can't tell where the point is with my rookieness and I refuse to ruin anything at this point. Maybe I will figure it out as I slice it up and will wake up early and do them before heading to so cal for a meeting tomorrow. 

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    We shall see. It seems dry and over barked right now. Before slicing I am regretting not wrapping to hold the bark a little less than it is, but we shall see once we slice it up in 90-120 minutes from now.  We are currently resting comfortably all snug as a bug in a rug. 

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Give the Franklin payoff video a look and you can get close enough to finding the line of demarcation (its a crap-shoot) if that is your objective.  If not, (good call) then just slice for the pure goodness.  The sweetest part of that meteorite is the point.  If nothing else, steal a slice before assigning the remainder to  burnt ends purgatory ;) 
    BTW- slightly frozen just means around another 20-30 mins to get with the program.  No worries there.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Yeah. I just want to see how it slices. I imagine from there I will know for next time. The frozen thing was more along the lines that I felt I could not get it trimmed up like the Franklin trim video. Watched the slicing video and am ready when the time arrives. Very anxious. This is the hard part!!!!

Livermore, California
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Yeah. I just want to see how it slices. I imagine from there I will know for next time. The frozen thing was more along the lines that I felt I could not get it trimmed up like the Franklin trim video. Watched the slicing video and am ready when the time arrives. Very anxious. This is the hard part!!!!
    Amen @tikigriller .  I feel your pain!  I watched that trimming video a dozen times and tried to trim like that for literally an hour before I gave up.  I'm getting back on the horse this weekend though and trying again.

Good luck on the slice!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I would say over cooked. The meat below the point is really good, but I could not even carve a piece to drape over a knife to show off. Is overcooking probably a cause of this?  Tastes good, but there is not an entire brisket of good meat here. 

Dissappointed. Learning curves. 

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the disappointment, and I would agree, looks a bit overcooked. It shouldn't crumble like that. That said, it will make some great chopped brisket sammiches. Oh, and that potato dish looks killer, nice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Dang-but if it tastes good then no worries about the style points.  Looks very moist so you should be able to enjoy the rich beef flavor and texture regardless of the way it sliced.  FWIW-
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Over cooked. Didn't even taste good to me. Everyone ate their plate but no seconds. That is all one needs to know. I think I should have wrapped it. Bark was so perfect at 1130 and 185. Wrap to the finish probably would have been the difference but what do I know.  

Until the next one....but it will not be a SRF until I figure this out. That ended up being a waste of taste money. Not learning money, just taste money.  

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Costco prime for the training ground.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Ok. I hit 205. Parts are definitely like buttah. Center is still not what I would call buttah, but it is smooth. How long and how high do I go before just calling it done?
    If your honestly going until everything feels like warm butter you will way over cook everything. Butter has no muscle fibers, and if you cook until meat feels like that it's going to be mush. You called part of it "smooth" ... that is what you want. Not a warm butter feeling. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Over cooked. Didn't even taste good to me. Everyone ate their plate but no seconds. That is all one needs to know. I think I should have wrapped it. Bark was so perfect at 1130 and 185. Wrap to the finish probably would have been the difference but what do I know.  

Until the next one....but it will not be a SRF until I figure this out. That ended up being a waste of taste money. Not learning money, just taste money.  
    Ya. I didn't start buying SRF until after like my 100th or so brisket.  Partly because I didn't even know about it. But if I did. I would have waited until I knew what I was doing. It's a vey expensive piece of meat from them. 

Luckily I can practice with prime for 2.29$ lb. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• tikigriller
    edited October 2016
    Options
     Very disappointed.  Everything was going along so well. To miss the window at the end is awful. So close yet so very far away. Not the way to end a weekend. 

Until next time...I have been humbled. 

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    Options
     Very disappointed.  Everything was going along so well. To miss the window at the end is awful. So close yet so very far away. Not the way to end a weekend. 

Until next time...I have been humbled. 
    Hey... it still looks better than my first brisket... My first brisket was TERRIBLE.  Practice and you will be able to do them in your sleep ;)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @tikigriller, good first try. I have cooked a few briskets and can't bring myself to spend the money that SRF cost and SWMBO would not like it.  I get a pretty good brisket out of a Prime or even a choice.  Try that a few times to get it down then go back to a SRF.  I start by probing at 195 and when most of the flat is soft I pull it and it is around 200.  
    If you want to do burnt ends wrap it and let it rest for about 20 to 30 min then separate to cube up. My wife likes them sauced and I put the BE's back on for about an hour our you could just add a little beef broth to it and put them back on.  If you FTC the flat make sure to have some liquid in with so it doesn't get dry.  Take it out of the foil for a little bit before slicing. Good luck on your next one.  What's left should make good chili.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    You all make this sh!t seem so easy!!!  Thanks for all the support. We shall see how round two goes...and round three, and round four..........

Livermore, California
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    How did it turn out? Looking for some sliced picture. I am doing my first brisket next weekend.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Brason said:
    How did it turn out? Looking for some sliced picture. I am doing my first brisket next weekend.
    Scroll up. There are pictures. It didn't turn out well at all. Over cooked. I have to get down what butter feels like as I just simply didn't pull it soon enough. 

Livermore, California
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself tiki, sounds like all you did was get a head start on some great chili

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163323/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-served-at-salado-after-party-2014#latest
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Yeah man, don't beat yourself up. Practice makes perfect. Personally, I learn the most through my mistakes.  There's always next time.