Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Tips

Options
SemolinaPilchard
SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Everyone may already know this, but in case not, here are some ideas I googled. Gather up all important documents, jewelry, photo albums or anything that means a lot to you and put it in the safest place you can find, such as your washer or dryer. Just don't forget they are in there before using them again. With my memory I would tape a note on the washer or dryer door to remind me. Take pictures or video of everything to prove ownership to the insurance company. Have insurance company phone numbers in your phone, and on paper in case the battery dies. Set fridge and freezer setting to the coldest settings. Also, a full freezer will stay cold longer. Put pitchers of water, bottled water, or even things like rolls of paper towels in the freezer. They claim that will work. Fill bathtubs with water in case you need it for flushing. Unfortunately it looks like it will loop around and hit Florida again. After the storm get any debris out of your neighborhood. All of that debris will become missiles if the hurricane returns. Let's hope this thing make a serious right turn. Good luck to all.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok.  Never would have have thought of any of that stuff.   Thanks. 
    Options
    Quite the timely delivery of information right there.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Quite the timely delivery of information right there.
    First off, yes, the timing could have been better, but better late than never. Secondly, the entire list can be done in a very short amount of time. Thirdly, if these tips help only one family it will have been worth it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    No man...it's good stuff.

I have no doubt that anyone looking for useful hurricane preparation tips would first think of finding a random thread on a cooking forum. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I have no doubt that anyone looking for useful hurricane preparation tips would first think of finding a random thread on a cooking forum. :)
    I think his target audience is the cooking forum.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    After the storm passes on the east coast winds shift offshore and you get a day of good surf. That's my tip.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    after the storm calms a bit check the beaches for seafood. not sure what gets tossed up in florida but its a sea clam bonanza up here for chowdah
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ok.  Never would have have thought of any of that stuff.   Thanks. 
    Stay classy, @nolaegghead

New Albany, Ohio 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Read elsewhere:  freeze a coffee cup full of water, then set a quarter on top.  If you return from an evacuation and the quarter's at the bottom of the cup, your food's probably ready to toss; if not, the power wasn't out long (if at all) and you're good.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@Botch beat me to it. Was gonna say the same thing. We used to do that when we lived in Corpus, but we musta been more poor cuz we used a penny.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Judging by the amount of posts from people on this forum saying they are about to be in the hurricane. I would say he has found his target audience and they will probably read this thread. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Putting your stuff in the washing machine doesn't really help if there's a flood.
    NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Judging by the amount of posts from people on this forum saying they are about to be in the hurricane. I would say he has found his target audience and they will probably read this thread. 
    Once you get your home prepared, there are hours of sitting home waiting for the storm to arrive and leave.  Lots of time to spend web surfing.  I am always looking for new tips.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Putting your stuff in the washing machine doesn't really help if there's a flood.
    Put it in ziploc bags and then into the washer. Washers are highly unlikely to float away in a flood and the drum is water tight as long as the water doesn't go over 3-4 feet or so.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    All good tips.  My priorities were money, gas and clean underwear. :)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Simple tip:  most of this can go into a "bug out bag" that's ready to grab and go. I Keep important docs on a usb drive that I have vac sealed from the old food saver, Updated quarterly. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Our priorities were. Protect lives....ours, family, friends, neighbors and our fur babies. Ensured LP tank topped off for standby generator power & tested generator under a load. Secured loose items outside. Plenty of fuel in vehicles and lump for cooking if needed. Lots of water and food. 
    Storm has passed us now. No power except for generator driven. Everybody is safe. It's still dark so haven't fully assessed all the damage. But from looking outside yesterday I would say it's mostly downed trees and debris to clean up for weeks. Be safe and enjoy this time with your family. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL glad to hear y'all are safe. From the weather channel reports, it looks like jax beach got it pretty hard. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Blake, nice to know you guys are safe. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Jeremiah Ya. All of The Beaches... Flagler, St Augustine, Jax etc got pummeled!
    Seawalls, docks, homes, highways etc are heavily damaged if not completely gone all together. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL -  glad it was only as you describe for you.  Most excellent preparations, and they paid off.  Stay safe.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    Read elsewhere:  freeze a coffee cup full of water, then set a quarter on top.  If you return from an evacuation and the quarter's at the bottom of the cup, your food's probably ready to toss; if not, the power wasn't out long (if at all) and you're good.  
    I do something like this to keep an eye on my freezer. Half-filled small plastic bottle frozen standing up and left on its side in freezer. If ice changes shape, freezer was too warm. Amount of melt is a crude indicator of temp and time.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Simple tip:  most of this can go into a "bug out bag" that's ready to grab and go. I Keep important docs on a usb drive that I have vac sealed from the old food saver, Updated quarterly. 
    I changed our bag to an orange homer bucket from home depot. It seals water-tight (I put some stuff in a bag in the bucket anyway), it's bright orange so it stands out if the crap really hits the fan, and you can sit on it.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    We lost power for about 5 minutes total. No structural damage, just some tree limbs to pick up. Had some friends from the beach stay with us, all good. 
    Jacksonville FL