Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin Food Suggestions

Options
Last minute trip to Austin to meet up with my wife looking for recommendations on Tex mex and other dining option.  Franklins in the early A.M.  Is a given. All suggestions are appreciated. Go.....
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• StillSmoken
    Options
    I know there is a previous post on this, but I'm limited to my cell so no search function.  
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    I like rudy's and the salt lick
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Been there a few times now. When I go, I prefer to have a 20 minute wait at La BBQ over a 6 hour wait at franklins. Food is almost identical IMO (yelp agrees).  I know there are some franklin bromance boys here who disagree. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I know last time a few of us recommended Torchys Taccos for whoever was here.  Trailer Park Trashy
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I know there is a previous post on this, but I'm limited to my cell so no search function.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195288/heading-to-austin-for-my-60th/p1
    It was my post :-) It should provide you a lot of info. Valentina's Food Truck for their Brisket Tacos is highly recommended. Nothing fancy but even Aaron Franklin recommends them. Franklins is a must, but get there early. We lined up at 6:00 AM and were 2nd in line. Its like a tail gate party. Chairs should be available that early and they have a coffee truck that opens up at 8:00 AM. I would go there again. Salt Lick is good for the experience. We were there on Memorial Weekend so some of the spots in Lockhart were closed. If you can go to Snows BBQ they are only open on Saturday.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Juan in a Million for breakfast tacos. They were featured on Man vs Food for their tacos challenge.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• StillSmoken
    Options
    @dstearn thank you for the link.  We are at Franklins now. Got here about 7:30am #20 in line.  Got cooler full of beer.  My wife has been here before.  I plan on getting 3 lbs briskets, 4 links sausage, some ribs, and a bit of turkey.  I plan on eating it for dinner as well.  Did I miss anything?Already got a few beers down the gatch.  Pumped up. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    If you are there long enough, try dinner at Woo Chows and if there for the weekend, try brunch at Juliet's.  You won't be disappointed.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I know last time a few of us recommended Torchys Taccos for whoever was here.  Trailer Park Trashy
    If you want tacos, Torchys is a good place to try.  Good food, but in addition to the usual tacos, they also have wide variety like pulled pork, fried avacado, salmon, chicken strip, portabello....also, get the chips and queso.  

Trailer park taco - hillbilly style is like trashy style, but with chorizo and bacon added

Its austin, so they do it on purpose but the "Democrat" Taco is damn good.  I feel bad even saying democrat and good in the same sentence though.  I feel like I need to go do something honest to prove I dont support HRC.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jak7028
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Been there a few times now. When I go, I prefer to have a 20 minute wait at La BBQ over a 6 hour wait at franklins. Food is almost identical IMO (yelp agrees).  I know there are some franklin bromance boys here who disagree. 
    I clicked this thread to post this.  

The the owner, LeeAnne, is a grand-daughter in the well known Mueller family.  She also hired John Lewis, one of Franklin's pitmasters.  Very high quality BBQ.  

If you are wanting some Tex Mex, Lupe Tortilla has really good beef fajitas.  Chuy's is another well known Tex Mex place that has a lot of good dishes, and they serve a creamy jalapeno ranch that you can put on anything or drink out of the bowl it is so good.  
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    xfire_ATX said:

Trailer park taco - hillbilly style is like trashy style, but with chorizo and bacon added

Oh hell... I know exactly where I am going for Lunch today.  Good thing its an 8 mile bike ride to get there to ride that off.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    For Tex-Mex my wife and I like Verdes

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Hope you Texas folks realize how good you have it! 
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    You know if you make it out towards Lake Travis/ Lakeway.  Come see the sunset at Lucys on the Lake.  Incredible view, weather should be tolerable and the food is great.
    http://www.lucysfriedchicken.com/on-the-lake/

• jak7028
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    Hope you Texas folks realize how good you have it! 
    Especially when it come to BBQ in central texas.  Everyone talks about Franklins and Lockhart.  There are quite a few good places around that no one even talks about.  

Austin is very good about having a lot of local places, but also a lot of diversity in the food.  It is easy to gain wait living there.  
  • jak7028
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    jak7028 said:
    xfire_ATX said:

Oh hell... I know exactly where I am going for Lunch today.  Good thing its an 8 mile bike ride to get there to ride that off.
    With only 8 miles, you will have to ride back and forth and only get one taco per visit.  No telling how many calories is in that taco.  Not that I care, I would eat it anyway.  

You can always tell when someones picked up a bag of tacos that are good - grease is seeping through the bag by the time they get to you.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No telling how many calories is in that taco.  Not that I care, I would eat it anyway.  

400. Not as bad as you would expect.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We like Matt's El Rancho for Margaritas and cheesy greasy tex mex. Valantina's is the 2nd best bbq in town behind Franklins. All the other suggestions are valid. If you want to break the bank you could visit Uchiko for dinner tonight. It's the best restaurant in Austin in my opinion. And it's priced accordingly.

• xfire_ATX
    Options
    @jak7028 it appears its ~410 calories  According to my Garmin tracking it was ~700 calories to ride there and back.   That means I can have two... !!

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    If you're staying downtown I recommend the tortilla crusted catfish at the Shady Grove on Barton Springs Road. Then, maybe go play a round of mini golf at Peter Pan down the street before it gets razed to the ground and turned into another condo.

Chuy's TexMex next door is an Austin food icon. Certainly not 5 star good, but quite tasty none the less and the atmosphere is interesting. However, I prefer their location on Research Blvd. Maybe hit the Pinballz place mentioned in a different thread after dinner.
    Gittin' there...
  • jak7028
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    @jak7028 it appears its ~410 calories  According to my Garmin tracking it was ~700 calories to ride there and back.   That means I can have two... !!
    Looks like it is 410 for the trashy version (which is lower than I thought.)  You still need to add in for the bacon and chrorizo if you got the hillbilly, and I add the poblano ranch also.  Probably puts you in the 600 calorie range per taco.   

Its a lot of food, but 2 of those tacos and sharing chips and queso would probably be almost 1500 calories.  
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I like 99% of tex mex places, it takes a lot for me to dislike.  One of my more recent likes is Polvos on south first.  Very Austin.. I imagine Chuy's was once like this. (I love Chuys).  I love Torchy's, and I think they will end up going national.  Good tacos and slick marketing.  They are growing.

Another, if you're way out in Lakeway is Los Pinos.  I know I'll get support on this one.  Used to be more of a dive before it burnt down. 

I also like Maxs' wine dive.

If you want to see some uniquely Austin bar hopping, go down Rainey street. Wear overalls, grow a beard, wear a bowler, and be a beer snob that doesn't bathe.   6th street is so yesterday.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    No telling how many calories is in that taco.  Not that I care, I would eat it anyway.  

400. Not as bad as you would expect.
    400?  That's got to be in hexadecimal or something.  I'll believe 0x400!

:)
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    Another, if you're way out in Lakeway is Los Pinos.  I know I'll get support on this one.  Used to be more of a dive before it burnt down. 

I remember it burning down but cant say I went beforehand.  Cant say I could picture it being more of a "dive" either.  This is low budget Mexican Food at its ___________.  Food is authentic, Service is usually Horrid but I still go back.

If you want Mexican Dive food and youre in town, there are a few of these around "Taqueria Arandas".  They are kinda like Rays Pizza in NY,  youre never sure which is the original.  I always ate the one named "Taqueria Guadalajara Arandas" which felt just like local places in Mexico.

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Food is authentic, Service is usually Horrid but I still go back.
    Hostess rolls her eyes as we enter, everytime.  I love it.  Authentic food, pozole is great there.  Refried beans have bacon fat. 
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice.  I just woke up from my Franklin food coma.  I ordered way to much food.  The good news...I know what's for dinner.  I think we'll grab some breakfast tacos in the a.m.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Valentina's is a must. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Chuys. Stubbs. Magnolia (love butter mmmmm!)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Where are you staying? I'll shoot you a few good breakfast spots. 
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    We are in An Vrbo not to far from the airport.