Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ryder Cup

Options
Gman2
Gman2 Posts: 421
I love this stuff. LET'S GO USA
LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    It is fun to watch
  • EggNashville
    Options
    And it's on all day... :)
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Golf really needs to think about doing more events like this. So much more fun to watch when you have a team to root for instead of just watching guys play golf. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    With all of the BS going on lately, watching unbridled patriotism is quite refreshing. 
  • Gman2
    Options
    Amazing golf and pride for our great country really gets the blood pumping, doing my best to hold off on popping the top on a cold one!!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    Amazing golf and pride for our great country really gets the blood pumping, doing my best to hold off on popping the top on a cold one!!
    Why!?!?!?  Days off start with that for me!    

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    It's been crazy around here. Every 5th vehicle on the road is a bus full of people. Chaska the town where the course is located shut down the whole school district for the week because of the tournament. My buddy is doing security out there. He's on some hole pretending to work. I think he had to pay $300 to work security for the week. I told him he's an idiot. Who the hell pays to work security? Golf fans I guess. For anyone who hasn't seen the hecklers putt challenge it's a pretty cool story. Here's a video below:

http://www.kare11.com/mb/sports/golf/heckler-challenged-at-ryder-cup-and-sinks-putt/327852220
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm pulling for the US of A, but can't bring myself to root against the Euro's.  Simply some amazing golf on display this weekend.  Sit back and enjoy the quality of golf being played.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Reed is becoming a Ryder cup hero 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • cheeaa
    Options
    Its so funny when europe misses or makes a bad shot and we cheer. Lol
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I love this tournament. Had the pleasure of going years ago in Brookline, MA. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Golf really needs to think about doing more events like this. So much more fun to watch when you have a team to root for instead of just watching guys play golf. 
    The only way to ruin the event is trying to duplicate it somehow and watering it down. Nobody seems to care about the Presidents Cup.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I love the Ryder Cup. Was out there yesterday and will be on Sunday. I love the emotion, but the jackass factor is also off the charts. The morons who insist on yelling at times intended to disrupt golf shots or just to get their voice on TV should be beaten.
    Stillwater, MN
  • tikigriller
    Options
    The only way to ruin the event is trying to duplicate it somehow and watering it down. Nobody seems to care about the Presidents Cup.

I just think for me anyways, Team Games are more fun to root for, AND I LOVE WATCHING GOLF.  I prefer to watch a Match Play Event, where head to head is more like a game.  The Ryder Cup definitely holds a special place, and always will, just like a Major, but even the Olympic's was a different kind of rooting vs. just a normal weekend tournament.

Livermore, California
  • Gman2
    Options
    It's on the bucket list for me! Bethpage might be fun!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My friend who's working security update:

Nothing to do with the game...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Lots of good replies. Lots of good/great shots being hit. Poor old Westwood, he never was a good putter. GO U.S.A.! 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Reed is a beast!  He carried Speith today!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Today's the day!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• McStew
    Options
    We need this one this year for Arnies Army 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Gman2
    Options
    McStew said:
    We need this one this year for Arnies Army 
    Yes we do!!!
  • cheeaa
    Options
    jabam said:
    Reed is a beast!  He carried Speith today!
    This dudes a badass. At least the most badass you can be and still play golf. This ryder cup is the funnest golf ever to be watched. True story
  • Gman2
    Options
    Big win!!! USA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2016
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm pulling for the US of A, but can't bring myself to root against the Euro's.  Simply some amazing golf on display this weekend.  Sit back and enjoy the quality of golf being played.
    You get it. I figured you would. 

Yes it's a USA against the world and it brings you together. 

Golf is more than that. It's a gentlemans game. A game of respect and honor. 
    As it was noted a few posts below your the incessant cheering of a bad shot by the europeans is pathetic. The gregarious USA chants when something positive happens is appalling and loud and distracting for the groups around. 
    I was watching on Friday but turned it off and haven't watched since as I was embarrassed for the game, and I won't watch it again. 
    For those that really know the game and were brought up in the proper etiquette of golf will get my comments, they still may not agree but they will get it. 

I know I'll get flamed for this, And have no dog in this fight. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Some amazing golf and sportsmanship by both teams.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    Options
    what a day 2018 Is only going to be better 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    So here is my take. 

Golf and everything etique is part of the magic of the game and why I love it so. And I really do have a serious love and addiction for the game. 

That being said.....

the Ryder Cup is different because it is a team game, so cheering something that either causes a win for the home team due to something done poorly by the opposing team, how do you not cheer that?  You cheer when a Dodger in my case has an error in a game that allows my team to score or win, so why is it any different when the opposing team in a team golf sport does something poorly, which inessence is a error that benefits my team. 

We we aren't booing the man, the golfer, we are booing the Team, which is extremely different. 

The crowd is is what makes the Ryder Cup so special. If you can't see the emotion it creates with the players themselves, then we aren't watching the same event. 

I think it it is a refreshing and welcomed change to watching pro golf. 

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    They said it well on the broadcast, Ryder Cup atmosphere is more like NCAA football.  

No excuse for the as$holes out there, but the rowdy cheering is great.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Agree completely with those tired of the jackasses. I am, too. Having said that, it did not spoil what to me was a great event, tremendous play and actually good competitive sportsmanship between the players from what I could tell. Don't think you'll ever see a guy make 10 birdies (Mickelson) and halve his match (with Garcia) again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Agree completely with those tired of the jackasses. I am, too. Having said that, it did not spoil what to me was a great event, tremendous play and actually good competitive sportsmanship between the players from what I could tell. Don't think you'll ever see a guy make 10 birdies (Mickelson) and halve his match (with Garcia) again.
    Mickelson/Garcia match was fantastic.
    I really dislike Garcia...but I found myself pulling for Garcia. Not because I wanted him to win, but because it was firing up Phil and he was answering the call. Happy to see them take a split. Phil was amazing.
    Nice to see the US players fired up. In the past it seemed like many of the players were just going through the motions but really could care less if they won.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas