Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slightly OT: How To Perfectly Reheat Pizza

So I would rather eat leftover pizza cold then deal with rubbery crust (microwave). Saw an article about reheating on the stove top, so I figured I'd give it a try. Into a cast iron pan on medium heat, covered with foil, for 6 minutes. Crust came out a little crispy/crunchy, cheese was melted, darned near perfect. 

The bonus of doing it this way is that I'm not heating up the entire kitchen using the oven. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
     I agree with you - microwaves ruin pizza

I go fairly low heat right on the grill.  
    Phoenix 
  • What works for us on reheating is to put pampered chef pizza stone with cold pizza on it in cold oven. Turn oven on at 350 and pizza ready in 15 minutes or so. Perfect everytime...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    CTMike said:
    So I would rather eat leftover pizza cold then deal with rubbery crust (microwave). Saw an article about reheating on the stove top, so I figured I'd give it a try. Into a cast iron pan on medium heat, covered with foil, for 6 minutes. Crust came out a little crispy/crunchy, cheese was melted, darned near perfect. 

The bonus of doing it this way is that I'm not heating up the entire kitchen using the oven. 
    i do this but start cheese side down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'll give it a try. How does a toaster oven do with reheating pizza?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I've actually fired up the Egg to reheat. I'll nuke it too once in a while. Or, I'll preheat the oven to 400 and cook for about 4-5 minutes.

Options 1 and 3 work best. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I've heard a cup of water in the microwave will prevent pizza crust from getting rubbery, but I've never tried it and never will. I'll eat it cold first. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I don't. I'm in the cold Za with cold beer camp. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    LOL, don't know why anyone would eat either cold or nuked pizza. I would throw it out first. :sick: I'm with fish on this one; CI skillet or griddle, stove top, cheese side down, then flip. No foil. A Blackstone would work too. If I had one. Not perfect, but the best I've tried.

Serious Eats once ran an article where they used a waffle iron. I tried that too. But only once. Not for me.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/01/leftover-pizza-waffle-iron-delicious-crispy-gooey-cheese-stuffed-snack.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    its less rubbery in a micro if you do the 20 second on then off then on thing. i leave the pizza out on the counter all night, its less cold then eat it with the morning coffee =) from the days i had to hide it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Carolina Q Michael. :lol: When I make pizza it's a rarity there's leftovers. Haven't had cold or microwaved pizza in a very long time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Microwave ovens work by heating water molecules----thus they don't really heat the "food", they heat the water within.  As a result, any time I reheat anything in the microwave, I wet a paper towel and cover the food, sometimes sprinkling in a little extra water with the food---depending on what I'm heating.  In essence, you get a "steamed product" effect by doing so, and don't succumb to the excessive drying effect that most people have.  Think of a piece of meat on a gas grill---leave it for too long, you cook all the moisture out and you are left with a piece of shoe leather.  Different avenues, but similar results / effects
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Carolina Q Michael. :lol: When I make pizza it's a rarity there's leftovers. Haven't had cold or microwaved pizza in a very long time. 
    @NPHuskerFL, hahaha, I hear ya, Blake. I literally never have leftovers when I make pizza. I know how much I will eat and that's what I make. Once in a while, when visiting relatives, we'll buy one from a local joint and that might get reheated the next day.

My son came for a visit recently and stopped at Frank Pepe's in New Haven (about an hour away) for a clam pie on his way here. I did have to reheat that one. My other son brought me a DiFara pie from Brooklyn once. I was in Virginia, a 5 hour drive. Needless to say, I reheated that one too. :)

But never cold!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I don't. I'm in the cold Za with cold beer camp. 
    I'm with husker, cold, 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Any heat source other than microwave works for me.