Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control Device

Ive been at it for over a year without any sort of gadget to monitor temp and I think I'm ready. I'd like something that I will be able to set for overnight cooks and work for faster cooks as well. As much as I love sitting around watching the egg work it's magic I've gotten distracted a few time lately and messed up a few meals. I don't want to say cost isn't an option but I am willing to spend on a good unit that will last. 

I like that the digi Q has a fan and can adjust for overnighters but it's pretty pricey. Is it worth it? It also doesn't appear to have a remote viewing option. Neither are deal breakers I guess. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. 

Comments

• I have the Flameboss 200 and love it. 

Setup was very easy, it has wifi capability, a fairly powerful fan, and it will work on different grills.

It was $329.99 on Amazon.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Does it have multiple probes or just 1?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    $239 makes sense to me! But then I'm a satisfied user for 15 years. It is a toy you can live without but it sure is a nice baby sitter when you want to sleep through the night!
    https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=24&gclid=CNCQm8n6r88CFZSIaQoduFwIVg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jwc6160
    So the digi is basically the same as the flameboss without wifi?  I guess I'll have to decide if wifi is that important. 
  • jwc6160 said:

The Flameboss (FB) has 2 probes.  One for the grill temp and one for the meat.  I have an igrill2 with 4 probes that I use if I need more.

Antioch, TN

• jwc6160 said:

The Flameboss (FB) has 2 probes.  One for the grill temp and one for the meat.  I have an igrill2 with 4 probes that I use if I need more.

Antioch, TN

• I use the Stoker Wifi and I do like it.  It comes with 6 ports (1 for the fan, 1 or 2 for the pit (if you want to monitor different places) and how ever many you want for the food.

If you are good with networking then it's a good tool (as it isn't intuitive to setup).  Once you are hooked up you can access your stoker from outside your network (like if you are at work or are running an errand during a cook).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I say be different, get something few have and is very unique, The Smobot!

Here's a link, see it for yourself.

https://youtu.be/jE8YKKz2pp4 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Since getting the Stoker wifi up and running it's been awesome. I came from a cheaper Auber Instruments and it's night and day difference. I'm not saying my previous Auber Instruments controller was bad but this is a whole new level. I really dig the wifi function 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2016
    jwc6160 said:
    So the digi is basically the same as the flameboss without wifi?  I guess I'll have to decide if wifi is that important. 

DigiQ = 10 yrs old & no upgrading, tiny 3 character scrolling "calculator" type screen, fixed speed fan with manual damper.

Flameboss 200Wifi = 1-2 year old & new firmware updates downloaded automatically, large backlit 32 character dot matrix screen, variable speed fan so no damper needed.  (BTW, the FB100 [same unit, no wifi] is same price as the DigiQ)

If you want to log into my FB200 and play with it, just send me an email and I'll give you the info.

Also, here's a good side-by-side review by Firecraft:  http://www.firecraft.com/bbq-guru-vs-flame-boss

Yes, Firecraft and I are both dealers for FB, but that's for a reason.  We both used to sell for Guru, until Guru had to axe all of their dealers because they were getting their butts kicked by FB.  Cut hundreds of us long time dealers, so they could drop the price without losing their profit.......whatever, most of us had moved on anyway.  Nothing wrong with the DigiQ, just a much better option out there now for the same money (or the Wifi model for a little more.)
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I use the Stoker and can run three eggs at once, fan, pit temp, and meat temp for each. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • I have the FB200 and it is nice to have the wifi and be able to change the temp of either probe and set alerts to receive via text to your phone. Also I had an issue where the unit was raising the temp over target on a Sunday. Couldn't reach company by phone and asked here on the forum about the issue. FB rep saw my post and went into my FB unit and made a quick change allowing the temp to stay rock steady for the cook. Don't know about customer support on the others but FB was there when needed.
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • jwc6160
    Thanks all. I'll look into the flameboss. The stoker looks a little intimidating. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    jwc6160 said:

DigiQ = 10 yrs old & no upgrading, tiny 3 character scrolling "calculator" type screen, fixed speed fan with manual damper.

Flameboss 200Wifi = 1-2 year old & new firmware updates downloaded automatically, large backlit 32 character dot matrix screen, variable speed fan so no damper needed.  (BTW, the FB100 [same unit, no wifi] is same price as the DigiQ)

If you want to log into my FB200 and play with it, just send me an email and I'll give you the info.

Also, here's a good side-by-side review by Firecraft:  http://www.firecraft.com/bbq-guru-vs-flame-boss

Yes, Firecraft and I are both dealers for FB, but that's for a reason.  We both used to sell for Guru, until Guru had to axe all of their dealers because they were getting their butts kicked by FB.  Cut hundreds of us long time dealers, so they could drop the price without losing their profit.......whatever, most of us had moved on anyway.  Nothing wrong with the DigiQ, just a much better option out there now for the same money (or the Wifi model for a little more.)
    Jonathan,
    Thank you for the information and the comparative link. Since I don't use my GURU all that often and was not interested in the WiFi aspect then recently I replaced my old BBQ Guru "Competitor" model brains when they went whacko. My decision HAD boiled down to price as I was just replacing the those brains for $96. 
    I do know one thing though moving forward when I am asked in private for a recommendation then it will be a Flame Boss for aspects carefully pointed out here. Thanks!
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I use the Flame Boss 100, which costs a bit less than the 200 but does not have wifi.  If I could do it over again, I would pay the extra money for the FB 200 so that I could monitor long cooks from indoors, no small luxury when the weather is bad.
  • flameboss 200 is well worth the money have tried both the digiq and the FB flame boss wins hands down buy it you will be happy you did
  • I use the Flame Boss 100, which costs a bit less than the 200 but does not have wifi.  If I could do it over again, I would pay the extra money for the FB 200 so that I could monitor long cooks from indoors, no small luxury when the weather is bad.

I haven't sold a single 100 since the 200 came out.  

Even if you don't need the Wi-Fi, get it so the unit can upgrade it's firmware as new improvements and fixes come out.  When the 200 came out, it did not have a pit alarm......then one night about a year ago, it downloaded automatically and now you have it!  Show me one other company that gives you the new and improved version for free.  My $400 Valentine 1 radar detector is going to cost me $300 to upgrade to the newest software so it's not going off constantly from highway speed sensors.

Also, again, even if you don't need remote control or monitoring you might once in a while.  When it wakes you up overnight and saves your cook or you want to get in a quick 9, it will be worth it.  Plus, you learn a lot from the graphs about the stall, rain/snow, and all the other factors affecting the egg.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I purchased the DigiQ with my XL. Now it sits in the box as a backup as my lovely wife bought me the CyberQ last year. I can monitor and adjust the temp at home or elsewhere.
  • I have the digi Q dx2... It's AWESOME.  With that being said, if I did it over I'd go with the flame boss 200.  The digi Q hasn't failed me though, it's spot on every time I look.  I would just like to be able to monitor wifi.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• I have just recently purchased the DigiQ DX2 WiFi.  Personally I am very pleased.  It has WiFi so I can monitor and adjust the eggs temp from anywhere I can get service on my iPhone.  No the fan is not variable speed, but it does have 3 meat probes in addition to the temp probe.  This was a great feature this past weekend when I cooked 4 briskets on 2 levels in my XL and one brisket in my M.  I was able to have a meat probe on each level in my XL plus control its temp at a steady 225.  And was able to use the third meat probe to stick into my M and monitor the dome temp in it.  
      I suspect all of the pit controllers on the market will work fine, you just have to pick one that best suits your needs.  I liked the fact that the BBQ Guru company has been around for many years and seems to have a lot of loyal customers.  I was tempted to get the FlameBoss 200, really liked the variable speed fan.  But I chose the DiGiQ due to the additional probes.  Like being able to monitor different levels or different cuts of meat on the same level when doing a large cook.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2016
    FarmerTom said:
    I have just recently purchased the DigiQ DX2 WiFi.  Personally I am very pleased.  It has WiFi so I can monitor and adjust the eggs temp from anywhere I can get service on my iPhone.  No the fan is not variable speed, but it does have 3 meat probes in addition to the temp probe.  This was a great feature this past weekend when I cooked 4 briskets on 2 levels in my XL and one brisket in my M.  I was able to have a meat probe on each level in my XL plus control its temp at a steady 225.  And was able to use the third meat probe to stick into my M and monitor the dome temp in it.  
      I suspect all of the pit controllers on the market will work fine, you just have to pick one that best suits your needs.  I liked the fact that the BBQ Guru company has been around for many years and seems to have a lot of loyal customers.  I was tempted to get the FlameBoss 200, really liked the variable speed fan.  But I chose the DiGiQ due to the additional probes.  Like being able to monitor different levels or different cuts of meat on the same level when doing a large cook.  

That's a CyberQ, not a DigiQ DX2.

Good controller, and the three probes and multiple fan capability is nice (but you have to buy all of those individually.)  At the old pricing, it used to be cheaper for me to sell two FB200 kits than a CyberQ with 3 probes, two fans, and two adapters.  I know they're cheaper now, so I don't know the price difference.

Either way the CyberQ can be a lot harder to set up if you're not familiar with networking.  I used to sell them with the disclaimer that the customer could NEVER call me for tech support or try to return it (because of past issues.)  FB200 is a simple plug and play--enter your WiFi password and it does the rest.

Both are great companies run by great people.  Shotgun Fred was a hell of a guy, philanthropist, and a Egghead.  Michael Collins of FB is a great guy too and supporter of the Egg......I don't think he's sold enough FB200's to give $25 million like Fred did, but maybe one day right??
  • stlcharcoal , you're right, I used the wrong name.  But when I ordered mine, one grid probe and three meat probes were part of the package.  And it does require some tinkering with network settings.  Wasn't a problem for me, but I can see where it could be for some who are intimidated by tech stuff.  And as I said, I was tempted to go with the FB200, but the additional meat probes of the CyberQ were the deciding factor for me.  And they came in extremely handy this past weekend when I had 5 briskets going at one time.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• jwc6160 said:
    Thanks all. I'll look into the flameboss. The stoker looks a little intimidating. 
    @jwc6160 .. You can PM @stlcharcoal for a really good deal on the FlameBoss 200. I bought both my FB100 and FB200 from him.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • I'll continue to sing the praises of the FB200, I've had it for approximately 1 year and have never regretted the price. I bought mine from @stlcharcoal after discussing the pros and cons over the phone. I love the peace of mind I get when I'm waiting in line at Home Depot and can check my phone to see what temp our dinner is currently at. It does take the sport out of cooking on the egg but that's ok with me!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Thanks @stlcharcoal for the hook up!  Ordered my FB200 today all in prep for the my first brisket cook next weekend.  Going to do it as a party with friends to see how tikigriller does!  Make a regular game out of it!  Go big or go home, right!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks again to all.....love this place!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Just learned that these existed! Cool!
    It's basically "cheating", since it takes the guesswork out of temp control. And one of the things I love most about the BGE is the "analog" nature of it. This makes it digital. 

Does anyone know if these are waterproof? Can you use the Flame Boss 200 in a downpour? To me, that's one of the times you really want one of these things. 
    Large Egg
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    edited August 2017
    Fireboard just announced today that they are really close to releasing their controller for a draft fan that will allow just about any fan out there to be controlled through their app via bluetooth/wifi.

I really enjoy my fireboard. I would hold out for the controller capabilities coming soon. 6 inputs, inexpensive additional probes, optional battery pack, very easy and feature rich interface.
    Pratt, KS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    More info about the "Fireboard Drive":

Let FireBoard take control of your Smoker!

FireBoard Drive™

We are getting very close to the first release in our FireBoard Drive™ line of products.  Production of the FireBoard Drive™ Fan Cable is in its final stages.  

The Fan Cable is much more than a cable -- its a mini board packed with tons of features.  Here is everything that the Fan Cable can do:
    • Variable Speed fan control
    • Drives almost any 12V fan, up to 1.5A* (most 12V fans' connectors use a standard 2.5mm barrel plug)
    • Powers the fan from FireBoard's battery power!
    • Also supports standard 12V power supply input
    • Embedded speaker to provide audible alerts completely independent from phone / cloud
    • Charges the FireBoard battery (and keeps it running) when 12V power is provided
    * 1.5A max power requires 12V power input.  Detailed power / amperage specifications coming soon.

Of course, all these features allow you to easily control your charcoal or wood fired smoker from the cloud using your FireBoard app.  The Fan Cable plugs into your existing FireBoard through the auxiliary port, so all FireBoards have the capability of being a controller by simply adding the Fan Cable and a simple OTA firmware update.

We've been having fun using FireBoard Drive™ on our kettle grills, offsets, and kamado cookers! 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    After calling it "cheating", I ordered and installed the FB200 today. Wow! 
    While it's fun to control the temp manually, and important to know how to; the FB type of device just takes it a new level. 

I got it so that I can do a long slow cook without having to check up on the Egg periodically. I'm sure that's the main benefit. 

However, because the fire is now stoked "artificially", by the electric fan, isn't another benefit that less lump is used? Like how a turbo charger in a car requires less fuel and a smaller engine to product the same power. What are the experts' thoughts?
    Large Egg