Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soy Meat? Anyone know anything about it?

Options
Been going for lunch at a new Indian restaurant that opened down the street from my office recently. They have a really good vegetarian thali. One of the items that's usually in there is a soy meat curry. The "meat" is like finely chopped beef and the texture is almost the same as stewed beef. I asked the owner where they got it and he said they bring it in from the US in sacks. It's dehydrated and I guess they rehydrate it in water and masala. I would love to get some.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Little Steven
    Options
    I was just looking at stuff about it and yes, it's called textured vegetable protein. Thanks!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its a popular protein for vegetarian folks in India. "nutri-Nuggets" or "nutrella" used to be popular brands when i was growing up. Can be cooked like meat items, kinda like the way tofu is sometimes subbed in dishes.

Let me know how much you want. A buddy is visiting from Vancouver, and should be returning to Canuckland next month, so I'll send it with himand he'll mail it to you. I owe you for that shipment of La Bomba. 

Just pm your address.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I got nuthin  :|
    Jacksonville FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    Its a popular protein for vegetarian folks in India. "nutri-Nuggets" or "nutrella" used to be popular brands when i was growing up. Can be cooked like meat items, kinda like the way tofu is sometimes subbed in dishes.

Let me know how much you want. A buddy is visiting from Vancouver, and should be returning to Canuckland next month, so I'll send it with himand he'll mail it to you. I owe you for that shipment of La Bomba. 

Just pm your address.

Oh you owe meal alright but you ain't getting off with $2.99 worth of chopped beans. We get Bob's Red Mill stuff up here. Just never looked at the displays except for grits. Besides Vancouver is twice the distance from here as it is from here to Houston.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Nothing says "thank you" like a huge sack of textured vegetable protein.
  • caliking
    Options
    I see the looney isn't just a coin up there. I said you could have as much as you want. 

And domestic mail within Canuckistan  would be cheaper than international. Without the hassle of customs either!

• caliking
    Options
    Come to think of it... La bomba would probably taste great on Nutri nuggets. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    high quality NON-GMO soy isolate protein 90% for meat food ingredients from factory
    US $1900-2200 / Ton
    5 Tons (Min. Order)
    Other Names: soy protein
    Type: Emulsifiers,Flavoring Agents,Nutrition Enhancers
    MF: C38H60O18
    Certification: ISO
    Color: Milk White
    Shelf life: 12 Months
    high quality NON-GMO soy isolate protein 90 for meat food ingredients from factory

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Since you found a source, you don't need me to send you the 5 tons you need...

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I remember when that used to be called tofu.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    it says on the package you can make chili with that, maybe thats the texas secret, no beans no beef =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    When I went to work for General Mills, we were in the process of removing the equipment of the TVP operation as it was not a profitable venture in 1977 due to very low demand. A cereal mill was installed in that space and it still employs a number of folks to this day. The product we made was called Bontrae and it was used as a meat extender more so than as a replacement. Too small a market for such a large company.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Ooooh not a Texas secret......I don't believe you should put "soy" "meat" in the same sentence.....argh....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I remember when that used to be called tofu.
    TVP/tempeh/tofu all come from the soy plant but then ground round and filet mignon while both being beef are hardly the same thing either.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Way back when, 'bout '73, I discovered TVP at the A&P down the street. Most of my budget went for beer back then. So I came up w. something that made do for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Approx:

6 oz, ham flavored TVP cubes, boiled.
    8 oz Velveeta, chopped up.
    1 cup Heinz catsup
    Hand full of crushed saltines.

Push all into a bread pan while the TVP is still hot. Chill, then slice and fry slabs as needed. Serve w. a stalk of celery. Best accompanied by a 6 of Drewery's, "the beer brewed to be enjoyed cold."

• Little Steven
    Options
    it says on the package you can make chili with that, maybe thats the texas secret, no beans no beef =)

It's actually pretty good. I'm thinking burgers, chili and the odd Indian dish. I eat vegetarian during the work week during the day. I find if I eat lunch with meat I can't eat dinner.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Way back when, 'bout '73, I discovered TVP at the A&P down the street. Most of my budget went for beer back then. So I came up w. something that made do for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Approx:

6 oz, ham flavored TVP cubes, boiled.
    8 oz Velveeta, chopped up.
    1 cup Heinz catsup
    Hand full of crushed saltines.

Push all into a bread pan while the TVP is still hot. Chill, then slice and fry slabs as needed. Serve w. a stalk of celery. Best accompanied by a 6 of Drewery's, "the beer brewed to be enjoyed cold."

When I was growing up that same phrase applied to Schaefer Beer lol

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    stv8r said:

When I was growing up that same phrase applied to Schaefer Beer lol

They must have been using the same corn adjunct mix. The stuff it made was fine under maybe 35F, higher than that, just nasty.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    Since you found a source, you don't need me to send you the 5 tons you need...

I was thinking of rehydrating it in homemade lamb stock.

Steve 

Caledon, ON