Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Soft Cooler Owners Enter

Options
I just got home to find my new RTIC soft 30 on the porch. 

Yall, it smells "turrible". I mean like it was processed in China, boxed up, boated topside through the tropics, sat in a Texas warehouse for a few August days and shipped here. Overwhelming chemical smell. 

Ive had a few Yeti Hoppers on my boat and this has never been an issue. 

Is this this normal? Does it go away? Is there a cleaner you used that could mitigate some of this?  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    I bought a pair of the high heat grill gloves and they stunk like that. I aired them out in the garage for a few days and the smell went away. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Difference is you never smelled a Yeti Soft Cooler right out of the box.lol
    They are removed from the plastic and box and put on the shelf where they sit...
    Unzip your cooler and let it air out. It's also waterproof. Sponge it off with a little mild soap and rinse if you want to speed the process.
    The fresh plastic/rubber smell of mine went away quickly.
    I have mine in my office under my desk. No issues. The odor never, to me, really had a chemical smell. Even a new pair of rubber tennis shoes out of the box has a smell for a few days.
    But I have to admit, you have a way with descriptive words.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    fill it with ice and beer, drink all the beer and smell it again. =)
    I like your problem solving skills...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    They are removed from the plastic and box and put on the shelf where they sit...
    Unzip your cooler and let it air out. It's also waterproof. Sponge it off with a little mild soap and rinse if you want to speed the process.
    I have mine in my office under my desk. No issues. The odor never, to me, really had a chemical smell. Even a new pair of rubber tennis shoes out of the box has a smell for a few days.
    I wiped it with water and a rag let it air out overnight last night and this morning it has a smell that much more resembles a pair of new shoes. Still strong, but not near as overwhelming. 

The chemical smell though is still in my garage where the cardboard box is...I'm wondering if it wasn't something on the box. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

fill it with ice and beer, drink all the beer and smell it again. =)
    This is the best advice I've received on this forum to date. If I had a seal, you would have earned one. 

Instead I guess I'll just leave you with this.

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I wiped it with water and a rag let it air out overnight last night and this morning it has a smell that much more resembles a pair of new shoes. Still strong, but not near as overwhelming. 

The chemical smell though is still in my garage where the cardboard box is...I'm wondering if it wasn't something on the box. 
    Glad it's getting better.
    My box and packing was clean and odor free.
    I bet you are right. Might have picked up some gas or diesel on your box.
    We ordered a platform dolly for our office. It's ULine brand. It has a rubbery molded coating on the rounded handle. The handle reeks of a petroleum smell. It's getting a little better over time but it has been 2 months...You can smell it as soon as you walk in the door. Thinking about cutting off the coating.lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Anybody use these yet. Kicking around whether I want to get one or not.
    What I am looking at, is how long it would keep something frozen, as in fish fillets when coming back from vacation.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    What I am looking at, is how long it would keep something frozen, as in fish fillets when coming back from vacation.
    I've kept ice in it for 24 hours with no issues. It's pretty impressive. I filled it up with frozen beef past weekend and took it to my granddad. It was in there for 15 hours and everything was still frozen with just a few cold packs. I really prefer it to dragging my buddy's Yeti Roadie around. 

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Ordered an RTIC 30 Softpak last week. At checkout it said it wouldn't ship until mid-October. Surprisingly, it shipped a few days ago and will arrive Wednesday.

Looking forward to giving it a sniff test after unboxing. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I changed my two dogs food this past weekend.....you want to talk about squirting stank. Lord have Mercy. Ops....sorry this probably didn't fit here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @northGAcock changing dog food is the WORST. I did that the other day and I guarantee it was worse than the smell in that cooler. 

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock changing dog food is the WORST. I did that the other day and I guarantee it was worse than the smell in that cooler. 
    Thanks man....sorry If I took the air out of your post. I could use some fresh air about now. =)

• northGAcock
    edited September 2016
    Options

• Gamecock24
    Options
    I used it at North Myrtle Beach last month and it worked wonderfully.
    Columbia, SC - in the market for a LBGE
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I changed my two dogs food this past weekend.....you want to talk about squirting stank. Lord have Mercy. Ops....sorry this probably didn't fit here.
    Did you mix it with old? Straight up is a problem, I try to go 50/50 for a few days.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Did you mix it with old? Straight up is a problem, I try to go 50/50 for a few days.
    I did not mix.....I have changed foods several times in the last year (two have been discontinued) and had no issues. I didn't really read or get assistance in the selection this time. The is a more complex formula with vegetables and fruits. It clearly tore them both a new one. I went and got some of the old and now trying to play catch up. I have a neighbor who is a veterinarian....and she is gonna get me some stool firm-r-upper tomorrow if things aren't firming up a bit. I have learned the hard way on this one.

• pescadorzih
    Options
    I've kept ice in it for 24 hours with no issues. It's pretty impressive. I filled it up with frozen beef past weekend and took it to my granddad. It was in there for 15 hours and everything was still frozen with just a few cold packs. I really prefer it to dragging my buddy's Yeti Roadie around. 

Thanks for the info. I just wish they had a longer warranty. Only thing keeping my from pulling the trigger at the moment. Decisions, decisions.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • HeavyG
    Options

Thanks for the info. I just wish they had a longer warranty. Only thing keeping my from pulling the trigger at the moment. Decisions, decisions.
    Well, I see Yeti has decided to copy RTIC in offering a flip top lid soft cooler - the Hopper Flip™ 12.

It appears to be about the same size as the RTIC 20 Softpak. The Yeti does have a 3 year warranty vs the RTIC 90 day warranty on their soft coolers. However, the Yeti also costs about 3 times as much.

As you say...decisions, decisions.

I'm fine with RTIC's 90 day warranty as they have a 90 day hassle free return. Just give it a good inspection and load it down to see if it has any weak seams or the like.

Anyway, I'm guessing the chances are pretty good both the Yeti and RTIC come out of the same Chinese factory town.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options

Chat from RTIC about their very short warranty on their soft cooler:

(06:04:30 PM) Visitor 82632883 is now known as darian.

(06:04:30 PM) darian: You are very bold stating your better warranty 7 vs 5 years on your hard coolers and I now have 3 of your hard coolers.
    Your soft pack coolers only state hassle free 90 returns. Is that it...? Compared to Yeti of 3 years and at least a year on most other quality soft coolers like Pplar Bear.

(06:04:39 PM) *** Tina joined the chat ***

(06:06:59 PM) Tina: I do apologize but that is the warranty for all our product except the hard coolers.

(06:08:51 PM) darian: Why do you feel your soft coolers are such a weak product?

(06:09:23 PM) Tina: We do not that is just the warranty.

(06:11:18 PM) darian: That makes zero sense. If you believe you have a quality product it would show in your warranty.

(06:11:54 PM) Tina: We only offer a 7 year warranty on the hard coolers.

(06:13:21 PM) Tina: https://www.rticcoolers.com/warranty

(06:14:27 PM) darian: Avoiding the question and restating the quality you have in your hard coolers which I already pointed out in my first chat line does not explain your VERY short warranty on your soft coolers that you claim are better than the others.

(06:16:19 PM) Tina: I do not know why the warranty for the softpaks are only 90 days.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Tina has learned that Visitor 82632883 shall not be messed with! 
     :o 

F ("forget") the warranty. The RTIC softcoolers kick butt. You won't regret it. You will regret it if you buy the Yeti. 

I own 3 yeti hard shell coolers and a soft pack RTIC. I regret buying the Yeti's.. I could have bought another egg with what I would have saved.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Tina has learned that Visitor 82632883 shall not be messed with! 
     :o 

F ("forget") the warranty. The RTIC softcoolers kick butt. You won't regret it. You will regret it if you buy the Yeti. 

I own 3 yeti hard shell coolers and a soft pack RTIC. I regret buying the Yeti's.. I could have bought another egg with what I would have saved.
    I already have one of the soft coolers. Really like it, but their warranty is lame.
    I probably just made their Sh*t list with my chat.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    Does anyone have the 40?  I was looking at getting a 30 or the 40.  Is the 40 that much bulkier?
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Does anyone have the 40?  I was looking at getting a 30 or the 40.  Is the 40 that much bulkier?
    They give the dimensions on the web site. Hard for us to make that call for you. I have the 30 and like the size but that does not mean it's large enough for you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    My RTIC SoftPak 30 arrived today.

Seems well made. The shell is all thermally or sonically welded so there is no stitching to abrade away over time.

Even tho I looked closely at the dimensions on the RTIC website when I ordered it my visual brain was surprised by how small the box and cooler actually appeared. I expected it to be a bit bigger. Dimension-wise it's actually the perfect size for my needs - just thought it would be a bit larger. Silly brain.

Mine did have a light "new plasticy thingy" aroma. Nothing I find objectionable or room filling gagging and I had to get my sniffer down into it to detect any odor. Regardless, I did set it outside with the lid open to air out. Won't need it for a few days anyway so I'll see if a couple days of outgassing to the great outdoors makes any difference.

RTIC inlcudes a little tube of zipper lube which is a nice touch.

Looking forward to getting at least 90 days of use out of it before it falls apart right after the warranty expires. :)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    You guys must beat the crap out of your soft-shell coolers to be spending so much time on the warranty.  I have a Polar Bear ( got it during the 2 for 1 sale last fall) and paid zero attention to the warranty. But I am likely not giving it the work-out you have planned.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You guys must beat the crap out of your soft-shell coolers to be spending so much time on the warranty.  I have a Polar Bear ( got it during the 2 for 1 sale last fall) and paid zero attention to the warranty. But I am likely not giving it the work-out you have planned.  
    Point taken. Agree.
    Just seems odd that a company that blows so much hot air about how much better their product is would have enough faith in their product to stand behind it longer than 90 days.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jhwilkin
    Options
    I received a 40 when the first shipments went out. That thing was way too big for a soft sided cooler and I returned for a 30. 
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @HeavyG if you run out of zipper lube just use wax it works better
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have so much to say about zipper lube, but I'll refrain.....until tomorrow.