Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving Multiple Stir-Frys - How do you do it??

My initial success wokking has had its cost too. My family typically gets together in the mid afternoon of New Years Eve day (12/31). If it is at my house I usually do something nice on the grill: Beef Tenderloin, Beef Wellington etc. If it is at my brother's house he usually gets a bunch of Chinese food from a high end Chinese restaurant. This year was to be at my brother's house. I got a call from him last night. He was talking to my dad who told him he shouldn't send out for Chinese food when I can make better Chinese food than any restaurant he's ever been too. Thanks dad! - I guess.

So here's the deal. My  brother asked about doing it at my house instead and he would pay for the ingredients. That part doesn't worry me. What worries me is making enough food for 8-10 people. I am guessing I would need at least 3 main entrees and where I have one wok and one Egg and one me, therein lies the problem.

I"ve had good luck holding my rice in a covered bowl for 10 minutes or so in a 200 degree oven with apparently no ill effects. But what about the main dishes? I would have to make each one and then hold it while I make the next one. Have any of the stir-fry eggsperts around here done something like this and pulled it off? What methods did you use to hold one dish while you prepared another and how did it turn out?

I still have the option of bailing if I don't think I can pull it off.  But as my brother pointed out: My father isn't normally that outspoken (impolite) - so he must really like what I am doing. TIA for any suggestions you may have.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Jim,

You can do it.  I had the same situation at Christmas last year.  My herd was 8 people.  I bought a three pot Crock Pot at Bad Breath & Beyond.  I made my fried rice early and kept it in the oven (like you do), then I pre-cut each dish, made the sauces, and arranged them mis en place (as the Cajuns say)..

As you know, each cook goes fast, so the actual cooking doesn't take all that long.  I also made cheat notes in large type to keep at the Egg, for the dishes I hadn't memorized.  When you finish with one, put it in a crock, and go to the next.

Here is what I bought.

http://www.crock-pot.com/product.aspx?pid=11066  (It makes a good serving tray also).  I had it all on the counter, and people dished it up themselves.  It went over well.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited December 2012
    Thanks VI, that looks perfect. It looks like a really nice unit that I would get some use out of other times of year too. I take it the food doesn't lose too much of its crispy consistency when saved that way? For me the consistency of food is as important as it's taste. One of the things I like about doing my own stirfries is the soft but crispy veggies that you turn out. I assume you use the warming temperature setting to hold it right?

I planned to do exactly as you described for everything else. That is why I have lots of glass and stainless steel bowls in various sizes. I also have a ton of full, half and quarter sheet pans for when I do multi item cooks like this. I get organized in the house, so I don't have to do much thinking on-the-fly at the grill. I always put a recipe I'm going to cook into my recipe software, YummySoup! and I always can have a printout of it at the grill with me or view it on my iPad. We seem to think a lot alike in terms of our prep.
  • Jim,

I don't recall having any loss of texture by keeping it at the warm setting in the crockpot.  Also, I started the cooks about 30 or 40 minutes before we ate (as I recall)..  I think I had made some hor d'oeuvres for my wife to serve while I cooked.  

You'll do great, as usual.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    The crock pot is a good holding container for this event IMHO.
    When doing the main dishes with veggies, be sure to undercook them as they will gather heat from the dish as they sit and get softer.

All so a few recipe ideas that will work.

These ribs will keep for a couple of hours or so under foil and/or in the oven low 200.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1238448&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1205528&catid=1

Some more appetizers

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1248397&catid=1
  • jfm0830
    Thanks for the links Richard, I will definitely check them out! Thanks again VI. I'm confident I can pull off cooking these dishes because I have made them before with no problems. My concern was having them ruined after I got done with them. I'm feeling much better about it now and I'd say bring on the whole famdamnily! Jim
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Jim,

Here are a couple of ideas that might work well, since you are in a time crunch.  Make wonton soup, using your own wontons and the broth made from your own chicken stock.  It can be made well ahead of time, and it's better than restaurant quality (which is a requirement in your household).

Here are a couple of links.  It's not hard if you buy the wrappers.  

I make wontons and dumplings and freeze them for later use.  You can steam the dumplings and serve with dipping sauce.

Here is a link.  It's Japanese, but who'd know ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MBX-SXnmg  (I wish this lady was my grandma).  
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    i have never done multiple wok cooks but have done the whole dinner thing. chinese ribs and sliced red pork go on first around 300 degrees, when finishing start the rice, into a warming tray in the oven while the fire is increased for the wok cook. wok away. take wok off grill and cook the ribs briefly again over the hot fire just to crisp them up, then on goes the terriaki strips on skewers, takes only  a minute tops. after the wok cooks done your looking at 3 to 4 minutes tops for the ribs basting away and a nother minute for the steaks, then slice the redpork loin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I never would have thought of that 3 pot crock pot, but that sounds like the way to go, Jim. For the first dish you wok, I'd under cook the veggies a bit as they will stay warm the longest and continue to cook a bit, 2nd batch cook them a bit more, etc, etc.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    @jfm0830
    How did this actually end up going?
    I'm facing a similar thing, but my thought was to have each person (6 or 8 guests) assemble their stir fry in a couple of bowls (protein, hard veg, soft veg) and have the aromatics and pre-made sauces EGGside...  Then I could either add some soaked rice noodles or they could go back inside and scoop out some fried rice...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    @Village Idiot
    Have you ever done something similar to what I just described?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If VI doesn't respond I know @tarheelmatt has wok'd for the masses before.  Maybe he will chime in on is approach.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jfm0830
    All in all it went well. I picked up a 3 well food warmer at B,B & B which was on sale for X-Mas. I made the rice first and the things I felt were more fragile towards the end of the cook. As V.I. mentioned I pre-measured and precut the ingredients and had them arranged on one tray per recipe and in the sequence I would use them out at the Egg. As I brought the finished food in from one cook, I poured it into the food warmer and, cleaned the wok and grabbed the next tray and headed back out to the Egg. It was hectic, but I was happy with the results.

The food did lose a little being held in the warmers compared to when I've had it fresh off the wok. But was it still better than take-out Chinese? That is a big yes.

Good luck
    Jim
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    why not buy 2 more eggs and woks to match. Am I missing something here. Your Brother could help with the cook - good family time.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• jfm0830
    JMCXL said:
    why not buy 2 more eggs and woks to match. Am I missing something here. Your Brother could help with the cook - good family time.
    Funny thing is I actually have 3 Eggs, but I think I am the only one in the family willing to go outside and grill when it was -2 degrees. There is something surreal about being out in that type of cold and worrying about not letting the temps rise beyond 650 degrees when I opened the lid to cook.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    jfm0830 said:
    Funny thing is I actually have 3 Eggs, but I think I am the only one in the family willing to go outside and grill when it was -2 degrees. There is something surreal about being out in that type of cold and worrying about not letting the temps rise beyond 650 degrees when I opened the lid to cook.
    Understand... just thought it would be a good excuse to add to the egg family
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/