Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Need some help for vehicle leasing

Options
Its time for a new family vehicle.  We typically trade every 3-4 years, drive about 13K miles per year and usually have very little equity at trade-in time.  So, its time to start exploring leasing to try and save a few dollars.  I know @thatgrimguy and @Mickey have some experience in the car sales field, so my questions are directed to them and any others who know more than me, which is probably most of you.

How do I go about negotiating a lease?  Most things I read online say to negotiate the price of the vehicle like you are buying.  Typically if I buy, all the mfg rebates come into play.  Is this the case when leasing?  Typically when I buy, I negotiate total out-the-door price, i guess when leasing I would negotiate monthly payment?  

Where does the little bit of equity I have in my current vehicle go?  I assume it gets applied to whatever down payment is required for the new lease?  When my lease is up and I want to lease again, will I have to put a significant amount of money down to get a new vehicle?  

Are there any particular vehicles to stay away from when leasing?  Anything in particular I need to look out for in the leasing terms other than the obvious price and mileage restrictions?  

As you can tell by my questions, I'm totally new to this process and appreciate any help you guys can provide.       

Shucker
Eastern North Carolina
Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    edited September 2016
    Options
    One question I have is why you've been trading cars in after only putting between 40 and 52k miles on them?  Do you just prefer newer cars?  Because that's not a ton of miles on a vehicle by today's standards.  

I think leasing makes sense if you're just one of those folks who doesn't drive a ton, and who just wants to always be in newer or near-new cars.  Nevertheless, I think some depends on the type of car you're looking for - sedan or SUV let's say, and whether you're after something basic or more on the luxury side.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I know absolutely nothing about leasing but I would offer that you consider the driver to trade every 3-4 years.  For me, absent any significant safety enhancements then I don't get the need.  I am likely in the great minority here but I bought my current ride 13+ years ago (2 years old a time of buy).  Another in the stable is 18+ years old and still going strong.  A different look...Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Then I know I could not help - I typically buy 1yr used, and drive it until it drops. My current SUV is a 2003 and has 217K miles on it. My other car is a 2011 and has ~54K on it and just paid it off last month.  We will put what we were paying monthly into separate account and buy another car next year and park the SUV for "hauling" purposes only.  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    We keep our cars about 10 yrs at least. Pay it off and enjoy it with no payments. Today's cars and SUVs are capable of it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I don't think there is a smart way to do what you are doing. Cars are the worst investment there is and trading every couple years to me means you have money and don't care. A car is barely broken in at 50k miles. My 2005 accord is still running strong and has been paid off for like 8 years. I bought it used with 7k miles on it for just over half the sticker price and 2 years old. My best advice is buy a car a year or 2 old and shop around for a deal. You can find cars a year old with 20k miles on them and 30-40% off dealer prices. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    In Georgia, you have to pay full taxes on the vehicle at the time of purchase. That makes a lease very unattractive. Check your state regulations before signing. A fleece is rarely wise. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im coming up on 27 years sitting in the same seat =) its time for some new paint.  i have no understanding how a 40k vehicle can lease for 200 a month, it makes absolutely no sense to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    im coming up on 27 years sitting in the same seat =) its time for some new paint.  i have no understanding how a 40k vehicle can lease for 200 a month, it makes absolutely no sense to me
    Artificially inflate the residual value of the vehicle. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I have a 2004 liberty approaching 150k miles fast. Runs great, uses no oil between changes. I put the absolute cheapest oil i can find in it. 

Proper maintenance intervals and doing the preventative stuff will keep you on the road a long time. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• fishlessman
    Options
    Artificially inflate the residual value of the vehicle. 
    i just cant make the math work =)
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    It makes sense to the company leasing it to you!  :smiley:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Not the advice you are wanting, but I agree with the feedback you are getting. If you have plenty of disposable income and put a high priority on a nice vehicle, leasing could be the right fit for you.   

Lease vehicles are mainly for people that like luxury vehicles and new vehicles under warranty, but for a lot of people it is a way to drive more car than they could afford just buying one. 

You mentioned "a little equity" - keep driving them until you have more equity, you are just now getting to the point where depreciation slows down.  Buying used, the 40k-50k range your vehicles are in, are what a lot of used car buyers are looking for.  The vehicle has a ton of mileage left to go, but the original owner to a large percentage of the depreciation.

As far as actual help on leasing, I am sorry, I can't help there.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    How much is due at signing and how many miles a year? 
  • DieselkW
    Options
    Leasing is a long term rental contract. You pay for it, for a while, then give it back. Then they sell it at a profit.

For instance: Lease a new vehicle that would sell for $30k at $500/month for 3 years. You pay $18,000 - or a little more than half the vehicle value when new.

They will sell this vehicle for $22k, more or less depending on the miles you put on it. Put too many miles on it, it's worth less, but you pay for that difference at 35¢ per extra mile. It's actually more profitable for the dealership than selling the car new.

I think it works best for corporate use. It's a write off as an expense, not an asset because there's no transfer of ownership. There's a tax advantage for companies to lease instead of own.

Benefit is routine maintenance is free - but they'll mandate you bring the car in for those maintenance periods. In return for always having a car payment, you get to drive a new car every few years.

Unlike your home, your car depreciates over time.

I buy used cars, trade them in for another used car every 3-4 years. The benefit is I can pay them off in a couple years, so I get a year or two without car payments my way. New car buyers take the depreciation hit for me.  The downside, I have to wait until 2018 for 2015 technology.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lit said:
    How much is due at signing and how many miles a year? 
      the shop across the street leased a truck, 2 years 200 a month, 10k miles per year 1999.00 down at signing. at 18 months in they called and took it back for a 40 k truck, same 200 per month, no money down, 2 more years, 10k miles per year. both trucks 4 door, 4x4 drive, dodges half tons, free fluid changes thrown in as well. what does not make sense is you can still find trucks with lower prices at dealers, we just recently bought a f550 dump, 32k from a dealer 12k miles on it 1 year old v10 and we get the full writeoff on it, truck was used for lawn clippings, it replaces the truck i learned to drive with back in the 70's =)
    fukahwee maine

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies.  We're looking at leasing the next vehicle for tax benefits as recommended by our accountant.  As for keeping a relatively new vehicle, we do it for a few reasons.  1) Its nice to know that anything that goes wrong is covered under warranty.  Like that $1,500 power lift gate actuator, or the $1,200 cruise control that went out with just a few thousand miles.  2)  Either we spend the money on something or Uncle Sam gets it.  Better to use the money to help out #3 than give it to the government.  They get enough as it is.   3) Perception of success is important in our business so we try to keep newer vehicles.  

We currently own several vehicles.  A couple have six-digit mileage on them and are paid for.  This scenario was brought up strictly for one vehicle to try and get a feel for the ins-and-outs of the leasing process, not as a request for advice on how to get the most bang for our buck out of a new vehicle purchase.  Thanks again for the replies and I do look forward to replies from those who may be on the inside, or those who have been through some leases before.          

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Negotiate purchase price first.  Then be prepared to negotiate residual value and money factor.   You can generally find current information on a car buying forum particular to the car you are looking at regarding the current residual value and money factor for the model and lease term you are looking at.  Don't focus on the size of the down payment until after you have the purchase price, money factor and residual settled.  The available incentives can be different for purchases and leases, so when researching available incentives check whether they can be applied to leases (for some, like the USAA discounts that some manufacturers offer veterans and their families, the amount of the incentive is different for a lease than a purchase).  

There is lots of leasing info on the car buying forums, and you should check that out before you go into the dealership to talk numbers.  

hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

We buy a new vehicle every 3-4 years for myself and my wife. We live in the country and travel to work 60-70 km each day. Leasing doesn't make sense for us as we would be over the kms. We have no way to get to work if 1 vehicle goes down, as we don't work close at all and different start times.

We don't have kids, don't drink (to excess), don't gamble. I have a side business that I can write off my truck on so it is a tax deduction and the most tax deductions happen in the first couple of years. In the winter we have some traditional Canadian weather with blizzardy roads etc.

My brother asked me why I bought my new truck, I said because I can. Im  willing to pay for the reliability of a vehicle for both of us.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    If lease payment is a tax write off then negotiate for more annual miles.  That way you don't wind up with an over milage penalty payment.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My Daughter just came in from Dallas Saturday and picked up her Lease Highlander. Leasing works for her in that she puts gas, very few oil changes and a set of tires on her car (5th lease). She only will do a 36 month / 45,000 mile lease. 
    This is my thoughts on leasing:
    ****1 Only lease from someone you know and TRUST!
    *******2 READ RULE #1......
    The reason for 1 &2 is you can be screwed so much more in a lease than a retail buy. 

My advice if you are looking at a lease is to pick your car/truck and shop that same car/truck with several dealers including the trade. In about 3 shops you will know what is going on.  Pay attrition to the internet department of the stores (via computer).

I do not lease, pay cash as I had not bought a car/truck in 30 years (loved the Demo's for my wife and I). 
    Good luck and I you have any question just give me a call
    Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MO_Eggin
    Options
    As noted above, a lease is a long term rental contract.  You pay monthly "rent" on the difference between selling price (equivalent to the negotiated purchase price) and the residual value at the end of the lease term (typically a percentage of MSRP) plus interest.  Negotiating points are generally the sale price (make sure to include in the agreement that all cash incentives further reduce the sale price - in other words, are for your benefit) and money factor (aka interest rate); the residual value (% of MSRP) is probably non-negotiable if you're leasing from a manufacturer or its captive financing arm.  

Understanding the numbers, and looking out for dealer profit centers like miscellaneous fees and interest rate mark ups, will result in a better deal than trying to negotiate a particular monthly payment.  There are numerous lease calculators online, make sure to double check the dealer's monthly payment amount; you will need to find out how your state handles sales tax on leases (some tax the entire value of the car up front, others apply tax to each payment, etc).    Also, for leases you are generally better off not putting money down as a "capital cost reduction" - if the leased car is totaled while driving home from the dealer, that money is typically lost (gap insurance generally only covers the leasing company); no money down does mean a higher monthly payment, but you can invest the "down payment" money and use that to offset the increased payment.  Lastly, note that some manufacturers give a discount on the interest rate for providing additional security deposits.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • shucker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    My Daughter just came in from Dallas Saturday and picked up her Lease Highlander. Leasing works for her in that she puts gas, very few oil changes and a set of tires on her car (5th lease). She only will do a 36 month / 45,000 mile lease. 
    The reason for 1 &2 is you can be screwed so much more in a lease than a retail buy. 

My advice if you are looking at a lease is to pick your car/truck and shop that same car/truck with several dealers including the trade. In about 3 shops you will know what is going on.  Pay attrition to the internet department of the stores (via computer).

I do not lease, pay cash as I had not bought a car/truck in 30 years (loved the Demo's for my wife and I). 
    Mickey
    Thanks!  Question for you.  A neighbor of mine who leases tells me that his theory on leasing is to sign a 39 month lease, then trade every 24-30 months and he always stays ahead, never has to pay a significant amount of $ down on the new lease, and monthly payment stays the same.  He swears it works as long as you continue on that cycle and stay within the same price-range vehicle.  This thought sounds too good to be true and really has thrown me off.  Especially since he can't explain how it works, just tells me that a car dealer friend of his told him to do it that way.  Does that scenario make any sense at all from a car dealers perspective?     

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "How you pay for a car" is a financial tool, and the only way a tool can be bad is if you use it to do a job for which it is not intended. We actually lease mine (trade every 3 years), finance my wife's (she likes to keep it as long as she can), and we paid cash for the older fun car.

I finance cars for a living. PM me what you want and I'll see if I can find a contact in Eastern NC, someone who you can trust.
  • Mosca
    edited September 2016
    Options
    shucker said:
    Mickey said:

Mickey
    Thanks!  Question for you.  A neighbor of mine who leases tells me that his theory on leasing is to sign a 39 month lease, then trade every 24-30 months and he always stays ahead, never has to pay a significant amount of $ down on the new lease, and monthly payment stays the same.  He swears it works as long as you continue on that cycle and stay within the same price-range vehicle.  This thought sounds too good to be true and really has thrown me off.  Especially since he can't explain how it works, just tells me that a car dealer friend of his told him to do it that way.  Does that scenario make any sense at all from a car dealers perspective?     
    Some manufacturers have a pull-ahead program that pays up to the last 6 months of a current lease, plus covers excess wear and tear up to $500 and waives the turn-in fee. Nissan does it, and sometimes GM.
  • tikigriller
    Options

I run a car Dealership.  I can answer any question you have about leasing, or anything anyone wants the REAL INSIDE SCOOP on when it comes to cars, sales, service dept, anything!

Leasing is NOT renting for one.  People like to THINK that way, but it is just not true.   You are paying for the car that you use.  Period. 

Here is a simple way to look at it...........Leasing is basically an alternative form of financing with a walk option.  In three years (most are now doing 39 months), you check multiple things.....is the car working for the family?  What is it worth in relation to your buy out price?  Do you still want the car? Etc etc etc.  I am not saying one should lease a car with the intention to buy it out at the end, but I can tell you, it is  smarter to do it that way, then to sign up for some 84 month contract!  With the lease, you can walk away at lease end.  My wife and I were in a Land Rover Lease when gas hit $6 a gallon out here in California.  Based on what our residual was, which is what we paid down to in the lease, our car was worth $15,000 less because there was no value for the gas guzzlers at all.  We walked away from it all and the bank ate the loss.  Everyone that was in a purchase that had to get out of those types of rigs because they could not afford to pay for gas, lost that $15,000, because the car is worth what it is worth.  Another example of leasing being a good thing...we have a model that the residuals 3 years ago were all set u p at about $27,000.  The market on the car weakened a ton with new models coming out, and all  those cars had a value of about $22,000...with most of them being sold as Certified Used Cars for around $25K.  So everyone that leased, only paid down to $27K, but everyone that purchased, owns a car worth $22K...see how the leasing folks win?

leasing is the BEST WAY to buy a car, If you have a habit of changing cars like the majority of America does, which is every 3-5 years.  If a car is just a car, and you keep them for 10 years or until they blow up and die, then leasing is NOT for you!  You will hate it!

Set your mileage up right.  Be very realistic to your annual mileage you drive a year, and do NOT sign up for less to save on the payment.  if you drive 12K, do a 15K lease..this gives you cushion and will prevent you from staring at the odometer freaking out about mileage.  MOST leases are .25 per mile, with the lower priced cars usually coming in at .15-.20 per mile over.  This will be answered on your lease contract.

As far as working a purchase and then switching to lease, be careful with that strategy, as manufactrer's DO have different incentives for lease vs purchase. SOmetimes the lease is a better incentive and sometimes it is the purchase.  Example...we have a $3000 Incentive on a purchase for one model, and no incentive for a lease, so the selling price will differ $3000 to the higher price.  We have another model that has a $2500 incentive for a purchase, but a $4800 incentive for a lease, so you can get a lower selling price on the lease!  make sense?

Best thing you can do is just submit some online inquiries.  You will have acouple dealers throwing offers at you and within a couple days, you will know what is a good deal and what is not.  Stay away from the dealer that does not want to give you a price until you come to the store.  Go figure out the car you want, how you want it packaged, leave the store, and then go get your pricing in order.   There are good dealers out there, and there are still some really shady ones.  Your gut will instantly tell you which dealer you are dealing with after some brief email exchange or phone calls.

A dealer prefers you to lease because it puts you back in the market in 3 years for a new car.   Plus, your lease return is the used car everyone looks for, so it helps our used car inventory as well if we are able to buy the car from the bank.   And if they guess LOW on the residual and the car is worth MORE at the end of the lease, you TRADE your lease in, don't TURN it in, and then you get the equity still just like you would on a purchase.

You are NOT required to maintain your car at the dealership either.  Do I recommend it being on the inside...absolutely.  We fix more stuff that a Jiffy LUbe Tech screws up than you would probably believe, but if you know how to work on a car yourself, or have a trusted mechanic, then that is fine.  The only way that would cause a issue, is if you needed to file a warranty claim, and for some reason, there was doubt that you were taking care of your car correctly.  The only maintenance records manufacturer's will honor are from the dealer.  this is extremely rare, as the dealer is paid more for  warranty repair than for customer pay items, so we actively look for warranty coverage.  (Warranty pays our full labor door rate--$180 an hour out here in California!)  Manufacturer's, contrary to popular public opinion, do not look for ways to NOT pay for a repair.  They actually look for ways to cover items, as it creates amazing loyalty.  The issues usually come up when someone obviously is not taking car eof their car (you would be amazed at what we see), or they have something that is just not a covered part and they can't understand why it isn't.  Yes...some people think brake pads wearing out should be covered under  a warranty.

I will PM you my phone number.  Happy to explain anything, as  this post is way too long, and will not  only confuse some I imagine, it will probably spark debate.   By the way..type of store I run....totally transparent, customer focused.  I hate the car buying games just as much as anyone or any consumer, and the process is soooo much more enjoyable for everyone involved when you provide info, do things transparent, and genuinely have an outlook that getting a new car should be a fun and exciting time, and not something someone should dread  having to do.  We also find in our service drive, that when we only sell repairs that are actually needed, people continue to come back over and over again, so when the more profitable repairs are actually needed, we get to do them, as we have earned the trust in a deserving manner.   4.5 star yelp rating for my store..which is unheard of in this industry...and as y ou can tell, I have not said the brand or store, as I am not trying to pitch anything here....I will give you or ANYONE any car buying advice they need.  It's  the least I can do for all the incredible cooking advice I have gotten since joining this board!

things to watch for for an old school car dealership:

Mark Up over and above MSRP

Packages pre installed on all their cars (wheel locks, door edge guards etc)

Selling HYDROGEN AIR for tires to create a lighter tire and better gas mileage(this one just busts me up)

Sells transmission flushes.  this really is not even anything most people ever need to do and most manufacturer's do not recommend it.

Avoidance in giving price out in email format.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • shucker
    Options
    @tikigriller thanks a ton for all the information.  it is very helpful!  you mention "And if they guess LOW on the residual and the car is worth MORE at the end of the lease, you TRADE your lease in, don't TURN it in, and then you get the equity still just like you would on a purchase".  What if they guess high and the car is worth LESS?? do I get screwed?  Just trying to piece this whole thing together.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

• tikigriller
    Options
    shucker said:
    @tikigriller thanks a ton for all the information.  it is very helpful!  you mention "And if they guess LOW on the residual and the car is worth MORE at the end of the lease, you TRADE your lease in, don't TURN it in, and then you get the equity still just like you would on a purchase".  What if they guess high and the car is worth LESS?? do I get screwed?  Just trying to piece this whole thing together.

No you don't!  That is the best thing about leasing!  You just need to turn it back in.  You do need to take care of your car, as they do have wear and tear charges if you beat it up.  Basically, a Manufacturer tries to figure out what the car is going to be worth in 3 years, with 36,000 miles on it (assuming a 12K per year lease), and be as accurate as possible.   They will run a higher residual to create a lower monthly payment to be competitive with other makes, and when they lose on those, that is basically a different form of an incentive, as your payment is made up of the difference from your SELLING price of the car to the residual, which the residual is a % of MSRP.

MSRP=$40,000

Resdiual is 55%=$22000

You get a selling price of 37000...there is your price gap--$15K plus interest, that creates your payment.   Residuals are NOT negotiable, but the selling price IS.

Most of the car companies do not nickel and dime you to death on the wear and tear.  If you take care of your stuff, you will be fine.  It is when you lease with Wells Fargo or Bank of America (actually, not many of those banks even lease anymore) that will nickel and dime you to death, because they are just a bank and have no invested interest in what vehicle you own.  A manufacturer wants you to lease another one of their cars, so they are easy on the wear and tear, throw loyalty money at you to create a new lease a competitor can't do, and as someone else mentioned, a lot of times, do a pull ahead program where they will waive remaining payments to get you out of your lease early!  My brand has a two payment waiver right now. So moral of the story..if you lease  a Honda, make sure it is Honda financial, Toyota, TMCC, Nissan/Infiniti--NMAC etc.

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mosca
    edited September 2016
    Options
    tikigriller is spot on, I couldn't write that long because I was still at work. 

I leased a '14 Maxima, and Nissan didn't change the body style in '15 like they were supposed to but instead kept making '14s until mid-March of '15, then released the '16s 6 months early. So, two model years both with 18 month runs. The result is that the value of '14s and '16s are pretty much tanked, but I'm okay because my 39 month value is contractually fixed. So I can drop my car off next year and lease a '17, avoiding the problem of owing more on my '14 than it is worth.

Someone wrote earlier that money factor and residual are negotiable. Residual is never negotiable, it comes out of a book or off a manufacturer's chart. Money factor may be negotiable but often it is not, if it is incentivized by the manufacturer then it is usually not permitted to mark it up. 

Most dealerships offer prepaid maintenance as an option, and some manufacturers include it at no cost (BMW, Audi, MB, etc). I personally like it and include it in my leases. Ask the price and calculate the rate for the services included, and figure that it is locking in cost for the term. It might be worth it for you, it might not be. 

We are also as straight up as the day is long. But I take no offense when anyone criticizes car dealerships; as soon as I try to defend the business, a story appears in the press where someone is getting screwed. I'd rather just go about my business and let that speak for itself. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The ONLY item I recommend you buy (add on to lease) is GAP Insurance. Nothing other. You don't need it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tikigriller
    Options
    Gap is usually included in most leases already by the manufacturer. 

Pre paid maintenance is good if it is from the manufacturer and not a third party and of course, if the price is right. You can definitely come out ahead with the right price. 

When it it all comes down to it, each person has their idea of a great deal for them. If you get where you need it to be for you, and you feel good about it, go for it. There are some people out there that need to save every single penny and will waste hours and hours of time to save $5 a month. Not my cup of tea. Better things to do with my time. 

A lttle price research and you will know what price to look for. 

Livermore, California