Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Pink Salt?

Options
What's the deal with it? Different taste than Sea Salt? I have been smoking our Salt  (Sea Salt) and peppercorns for a while now. Smoked some of the pink stuff a while back. Just realized my Salt grinder is pretty much empty..and we are out of smoked Sea salt. Be at least a couple of weeks before I can smoke some Sea salt....
Years ago I tried some of the Himalayan stuff and didn't care for it...seemed gritty but it very well may have been because it was not ground all that fine...looked more like it was just smaller rocks...
Thanks for any/all thoughts...

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It looks pretty.  Tastes salty.  Costs more. 
    Options
    I dig it, get mine from Costco. I use more than I would a table salt or sea salt as the flavor pretty mild.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    It looks pretty.  Tastes salty.  Costs more. 
    ^This. 
    Mined in Pakistan and sold to Westerners. The pink color is iron oxide found in polyhalite which is odorless and tasteless. Pakistan myth is that the natural minerals in the salt are good for you. There are only trace minerals other than the polyhalite.
    I use the coarse pink salt in my grinder because that's the only rock salt I can seem to find lately and it's not that expensive in bulk.

There's too much junk in sea salt for me to put that in my food.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I think the only salt that truly tastes different is smoked salt

the one thing pink salt is not (and you didn't ask this, but sometimes people wonder/ask), is that it isn't at all related to the 'pink salts' or curing. That is nitrite mixed with 'regular' table salt and then colored pink as a visual warning

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jbreed
    Options
    Learning all the time on this board....
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Yeah pink salt doesn't taste different, it tastes like salt. But to my palate its mild. Just my opinion. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    It's salt, but there is the argument that the different crystal sizes and structures (other mineral impurities) affect the salt "bloom".  So while it is still salty, it may be more rounded and linger longer.  All those artisan type salts are finishing salts; they're meant to be added at end of prep/cooking, just before serving.  Whether they really alter the food drastically is personal opinion and how fancy pants you want to be.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    the one advantage to pink salt is that it never cakes up in the mill, my mill is too small for the stuff.  grey salt takes on the smoke better but its really pricey salt.  for me its kosher at home, iodized at work, and seasalt in the plastic grinder at camp where i dont want an expensive grinder. my pink salt sits pretty on the top shelf with my collection of vinegars , thai fish sauces, that really stinky italian fish sauce etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I received a BLOCK of this stuff for Christmas.    I'm told to use it as I would a plank.   
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Can it be used in the bottom of a drip pan?  =)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    be careful with pink salt.  Curing salt is dyed pink so you will not confuse it with seasoning salt.  You can kill your self with curing salt.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not that pricey at Costco they have a big ass container for $10 it's gotta be a couple pounds. As stated above the pink salt is less salty atleast from what I have noticed. I make a lot of bread and I always add a couple grams when using pink salt. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    the salt in pink curing salts is actually more dangerous than the nitrite concentration. They cut the nitrite with salt to make it virtually impossible to ingest. Because eating straight salt is damn near impossible. Especially accidentally

if they didn't cut it with salt, the nitrite concentration would be 100%

if you ate enough pink salts (curing salt) for the nitrite to be a problem, the salt would have killed you long ago

again. A spinach salad has more nitrite in it than a case of hotdogs
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    the salt in pink curing salts is actually more dangerous than the nitrite concentration. 
    Amen brother. But getting folks to believe this is the problem. In most folks minds the word "nitrite" automatically signifies poison for some reason. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Begger said:
    I received a BLOCK of this stuff for Christmas.    I'm told to use it as I would a plank.   
    That's a different thing. Google "salt block cooking".
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Makes one wonder how many bellies have been chucked, trying to cure with Himalayan. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Focker said:
    Makes one wonder how many bellies have been chucked, trying to cure with Himalayan. 
    I almost made that mistake. Lol
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Has anyone found a grinder that will stand up to the Himalayan course rock salt? It breaks every one I tried so far. I buy the fine for bulk cooking, but the course just chews up my grinders. It works in an OXO for manual, but I am looking for a push button for the table.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Dredger Sure I'll help ya spend $$$ :smiley:
     I've used this mill for several years   Even though it has plastic gearing it's done well. 
    SpiceCrafts Salt and Pepper Grinder Set, Stainless Steel Salt Grinder, FREE Recipe eBook & Guide, Ceramic Grinder, Dual Salt Mill & Pepper Mill, Salt Pepper Grinder Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PID7KAM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_6tX4xbC7BAZ4X

I'd love to get my hands on a few of these though. 
    http://shop.kitchengrindz.com/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL, but I am looking for a battery operated one. My OXO manual does a great job, but when I am working with a recipe, the battery operated ones are my go to. They handle kosher salt with no problem, but Himalayan is a tough challenge.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    why the need to grind fresh for a recipe? salt doesn't go stale.

you can get himalayan salt already ground, no?

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited September 2016
    Options
    why the need to grind fresh for a recipe? salt doesn't go stale.
    True dat. Himalayan salt has already sat "on the shelf" about 250 million years and its "sell by" date is probably another 250 million years down the road.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw and @HeavyG. I do use the fine for stovetop cooking, but prepping meat, I prefer to control the grind coarseness if that makes sense.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Never had an electric grinder that lasted. For manual mills, it's hard to beat the Unicorn mills for salt or pepper. I hate using any other pepper mill.
    For steaks, I use the salt grinder because I prefer a more course salt. For regular recipes, the already ground salt works fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00550TI1W/ref=pd_aw_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DXD1SG9C04WZ3MGZYQHX
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Toxarch The "Unicorn Magnum" doesn't appear at first glance to resemble a mill. :fearful:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Toxarch
    Options
    @Toxarch The "Unicorn Magnum" doesn't appear at first glance to resemble a mill. :fearful:
    Just be sure to get the big black one because a lot comes out of it.  ;)
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put a little, or a lot, of peppah in, well, whatever, with the unicorn magnum.