Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "Go To Cookbooks" you recommend?

Options
i was just wondering if any of you knew of any go to cookbooks for the egg that a rookie cook like I could look into.  I am starting to explore with the egg, but with the limited knowledge I have about things, I am beginning to ruin more food than succeeding,and I feel like a good book to use a s a guide for a while will get me going and starting to understand more what different kinds of foods do and how to cook them.  I see all of your posts, with things on them and the finished products look amazing but I have no idea how to get to those same results without the details.  Lots of recipes on the big green egg website....are those worth doing?  I only ask,,because I tried some from the pellet website when I got the pellet grill, and they failed more than they succeeded when following them.
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Google...there are, no doubt, some great books. However, I am cheap and can get anything I need off the interwebs. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I just got Meathead.  It's a good mix of tips tricks & recipes.  Haven't got far into it though.

Phoenix 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options

Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    YouTube videos. Check out the smokin guitar player. com. That helped me a lot.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    "Smoke it like a pro on the big green egg"
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @tikigriller  Sounds like you need something that provides a lot of how and why and not just a recipe collection.  Some suggestions:

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling  by Meathead Goldwyn 

I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking by Alton Brown 

Cooking for Geeks by Jeff Potter 

A subscription to CooksIllustraded.com

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @NibbleMeThis has a cookbook called The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook. Don't know how good it is, but the recipes I've tried off his blog are damn good. There's plenty of blogs that do recipes on the Egg if you look around. Just don't do anything that's on mine. I make it all up and steal pictures from other people and pretend they're mine. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

Once you get the hang of temp control and the pros and cons of the various set ups, it should be just following a recipe.  I will follow a recipe exactly as is the first time I try it.  If I don't like it, I know I didn't screw it up.  I will play with it from there, if needed, save it or toss it.

The key thing, I have found, is removing meat at the proper internal temp.  I don't care what vessel your cooking on. 

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Griffin said:
    @NibbleMeThis has a cookbook called The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook. Don't know how good it is, but the recipes I've tried off his blog are damn good. There's plenty of blogs that do recipes on the Egg if you look around. Just don't do anything that's on mine. I make it all up and steal pictures from other people and pretend they're mine. ;)
    http://www.nibblemethis.com  is a great website for ideas =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    One of the best cookbooks that I own, and I cannot recommend it enough, is called All About Braising by Molly Stevens. The braised short ribs is a two day process that comes out amazing. Plus, you can use the egg in most of the recipes.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    One of my favorites is The Food Lab 

Brandon - Ohio

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    If/when you jump into Asian food, Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge" is my most "go to" cookbook. I think the rest of my cooks I can pretty much get on this forum or on the web. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Eric Mitchell was recommended to me by a friend. He has two books out that I have. 15.00 each. He takes each recipie from lighting the grill to finish. I've enjoyed them. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I actually have The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook that @Griffin mentions above and found it very informative when I first started out. The best thing I like about it is that explains all of the different techniques you can use along with a recipe that uses each technique. I've only used 2 or 3 of the recipes and they were very good. Also, it is focused solely on the ceramic cooker rather than using other types of grills or smokers.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Smoker-Grill-Cookbook-Techniques/dp/1612433634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473863973&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Kamado+Smoker+and+Grill+Cookbook

Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Raymont said:
    If/when you jump into Asian food, Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge" is my most "go to" cookbook. I think the rest of my cooks I can pretty much get on this forum or on the web. 

I just got into wok cooking and was thinking about buying this book or her other one, I think it is A Touch of Grace. I decided to hold off until I could actually look at one in a book store or something. I was afraid it would be too complex for me. I'm not looking to do the real complicated dishes right now. I have enjoyed doing some simple stir fry dishes though.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Raymont said:

I just got into wok cooking and was thinking about buying this book or her other one, I think it is A Touch of Grace. I decided to hold off until I could actually look at one in a book store or something. I was afraid it would be too complex for me. I'm not looking to do the real complicated dishes right now. I have enjoyed doing some simple stir fry dishes though.
    Smokey- Yes, the first couple cooks are a little intimidating, but if you pre-measure ingredients/prep, it is actually very easy. I think you'd enjoy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tikigriller
    Options
    Wow. Woke up to so many choices!!!  Thanks to all for the recommendations. I will go through them all and figure out what to grab. Might even go to a store I heard about that sells books off of actual shelves so I can see them all before buying. LOL 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    One of the best cookbooks that I own, and I cannot recommend it enough, is called All About Braising by Molly Stevens. The braised short ribs is a two day process that comes out amazing. Plus, you can use the egg in most of the recipes.
    I agree with this one.  We also enjoy The Food Lab.  I also would recommend the following:

The Japanese Grill
    Smoke and Pickles - not grill/egg specific, but I've done pulled lamb from this and loved it, and the collards & kimchi recipe goes with just about anything off the egg.
    For Asian cooking I really like both Every Grain of Rice and the Pok Pok cookbook.  
    If you're looking for Mexican I've never really been disappointed by a Rick Bayless book.
    My wife has gone through the Southern Foodways Cookbook so much that we'll probably need to replace it soon, as the pages are starting to come off the spiral binding.
    Not a grilling book, but Essential Pepin is outstanding, and you might be able to find it cheaper than the Amazon price, we got our copy and a gift copy for friends at Costco for $19.95.
    The Complete America's Test Kitchen is very solid as well.  Chris Kimball likes food a little blander than I do, but I can adjust seasonings, their techniques are spot on, and it has every ingredient/kitchen gadget review they've done.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I like Adam Perry Lang, but some of his recipes are only good for those who are unemployed (I.e., have a lot of time on their hands). Though not Egg-specific, Steve Raichlen's books offer a lot of great recipes within striking distance of the newbie. A few of his books also explain grilling and smoking techniques, which are the foundation for any cook.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    i was just wondering if any of you knew of any go to cookbooks for the egg that a rookie cook like I could look into.  I am starting to explore with the egg, but with the limited knowledge I have about things, I am beginning to ruin more food than succeeding,and I feel like a good book to use a s a guide for a while will get me going and starting to understand more what different kinds of foods do and how to cook them.  I see all of your posts, with things on them and the finished products look amazing but I have no idea how to get to those same results without the details.  Lots of recipes on the big green egg website....are those worth doing?  I only ask,,because I tried some from the pellet website when I got the pellet grill, and they failed more than they succeeded when following them.

I don't think you are going to get any help from a book if you aren't succeeding with the cooks you've tried. What kind of problems have you had? You'll get a lot more help here than you would from a library of books. Sending you a PM

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Am just going through "The elements of pizza" by Ken Forkish.  Looks pretty good and a lot of good pizza making tips. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    victor1 said:
    Am just going through "The elements of pizza" by Ken Forkish.  Looks pretty good and a lot of good pizza making tips. 

+1 on this book - good info in it, and a great looking book to boot.

To round out the pizza book recommendations;

My Pizza by Jim Lahey is another good book.  Good recipes, although some of his topping combinations are a little too artsy for me though.  Not that that matters if you can get the basics down.  Another great looking book too.

American Pie by Peter Reinhart has a ton of good information.  I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much though, as there are almost no pictures and the ones that were there are b&w.

FYI - these three pizza books were written by the three go-to bread guys

Phoenix 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    ULTIMATE  book of BBQ
    Love some of these cooks
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• abpgwolf
    Options
    Here are my 2 favorite cookbooks:

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling
      by Meathead Goldwyn 
        I used many of Meathead's recipes and have always had good results. Also       see: http://amazingribs.com/ 

Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang
       Adam Perry Lang's recipes are more complex and take more effort and time,    but the results are well worth the effort

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    this book is great.  it has a lot of technique in it.  it does get redundant sometimes but it is an invaluable resource

https://www.amazon.com/How-Grill-Complete-Illustrated-Techniques/dp/0761120149/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474053231&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+grill+raichlen
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani.  Like the way he explains the science behind it.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I personally think you will gain enough knowledge here that you will be able take any recipe and turn it into something you can cook on the egg.  They're all just recipes and your egg can cook like an oven, grill or smoke. The choice is up to you.  

I have the BGE cookbook and it's decent at best. The one book I refer to is Grace Youngs Stir Fru to the Sky's Edge. The sauces she builds are just crazy good.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Mattman3969 -  you must be too deep into Friday and books-somewhere you need to mention your Private Licensed  "Diamond Plate BGE Food Manifesto".  Ever since I co-opted your secrets I have marveled at the out-comes.  Truly a cooking miracle-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.