Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a good Jalapeno popper Recipe?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Here is a great tutorial from @NibbleMeThis  on the basic technique.
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/09/tailgate-heroes-abts.html

You can get creative and put whatever you like in them.  I like to use some Jimmy Dean sausage.  I will brown 1/2 lb of sausage and then mix that in with the cream cheese while the sausage is still hot to soften the cream cheese.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hard to make a bad ABT...but my least fav so far was stuffed with real crab meat, and I love crab.

Like Ozzie said above, I still like the basics.
    Don't try and go healthy with the cream cheese and use low fat. I melts and lumps funny to me.

I also like the Philadelphia in the small tubs and use chive and onion most os the time. The jalapeño is also good.

If you are going to use plain cream cheese mixing your fav rub in helps. Just don't do this to far in advance because the rub will make you cream cheese watery. Same goes for seasoning the bacon wrapped around the ABT. Don't season and wrap them up or seal in a zip-loc. Seasoning will start drawing out moisture and it will be a soggy mess. Season and wire rack rest in the fridge is good or just season on the grill. These are just my thoughts.

Some also like to dice up some little smokeys and mix into the cream cheese or add a whole one on top the cream cheese and then wrap in bacon. Some also freeze the little smokey to help keep the cream cheese cool to give the bacon more time to crisp. Other, like me, like to use thin slice bacon while many will par cook the bacon a bit first to give it a head start.

So many options and they are all good as long as you cook the bacon and get it a little crispy.

Have fun...and post some photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    One trick I have used is to partially cook the bacon in the microwave before you wrap.  That helps it to crisp better.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I agree with Photo Egg. Use good cream cheese. I love to use a good hot sausage and mix it in the cream cheese. I sometime use bacon and sometimes just the cream cheese and sausage. I also use the filling for stuffed mushrooms.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    The last couple of times I've made ABTs I lost almost all of my cheese filling during the cooking process.  I think I may have gotten my temp up too high but I'm not positive.  Has anyone else had this issue before?
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    In addition to using about anything for the main course, use whatever you favor for the cheese.  My "go to" is a habanero pepper jack but will throttle down to just a pepper jack depending on who will be consuming.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i really havent found one i dont like. cream cheese with pulled pork, italian sausage, chourico, vidallia onion, peaches and blueberry, maraschino cherry and cayenne pepper dark chocolate.....im sure i missed a bunch =) peaches juice up with the jalapeno and seem to be hottest of all of them, i dust sugar on those, no bacon.  a whole proscuitto ham on the way, i see some shrimp abt's wrapped in proscuitto coming soon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    bdub60 said:
    The last couple of times I've made ABTs I lost almost all of my cheese filling during the cooking process.  I think I may have gotten my temp up too high but I'm not positive.  Has anyone else had this issue before?
    It can be a challenge at times to get the bacon crisp and not over cook the pepper and cheese to the point it squirts out.
    Make sure your cheese and pepper are ice box cold before you wrap them and I normally leave my bacon out for 30 minutes or longer to soften so it cooks faster and stretches better when I wrap the pepper. As other have said above, par cooking the bacon also helps. Just not so much that it tears when you are wrapping the pepper.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    pimento cheese makes a great filling, so does artichoke & jalapeno dip (Costco has good one, avail lots of places).
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Cream cheese, slice of pineapple, wrapped in bacon, dusted with dizzy pig. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Saute sausage, drain, fold in cream cheese and shredded pepper jack, sprinkle in your favorite rub.  Stuff the mix into jalapenos, wrap with bacon if you've got a note from your cardiologist.  Sprinkle with more rub.  Grill.  Add some good bbq sauce toward the end.  Or omit the sauce.  Make more than you planned, bc there won't be leftovers.  

There's a zillion ways to do this and all of them are awesome.  To use a phrase often employed in another context:  "The worst jalapeno popper I ever had was fantastic."
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited December 2015
    This one is excellent, simple poppers, no bacon wrap.

The link didn't work.

It's under "Italian Stuffed Jalapeños", it's a Fieri recipe (but a good one).

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I just do cream cheese, colby jack, and cooked breakfast sausage mixed together, stuff the jalapeño, wrap in bacon, then cook.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    I do the standard ABT process with shredded Gruyere, cream cheese, diced pineapple and one 31-40 ct shrimp in the middle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Just made a batch of ABTs on Sunday; 8 peppers cut in half. Cooked two Johnsonville sausage patties while prepping the peppers. Sliced the patties and used them they way you would use the Little Smokies. I will add some heat to the cream cheese with other seasonings. My preference is to use thin bacon. It makes wrapping them easier. As I wrap I can stretch it to the point where I can put in a toothpick starting at the top. I cooked them at roughly 275* for 2.5 to 3 hours. Pull them as needed. With a two tier setup on the mini I can get 20-25 ABTs on it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    bdub60 said:

I cut the pepper so it looks like a canoe - stuff it with something - then put the pepper back together before wrapping with bacon.

I didn't use to put the top back on the pepper and ended up losing the good stuff - no more.

Thanks OP for the thread - ABT's are now on the menu for the weekend if not sooner.
    Phoenix 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    bdub60 said:

Don't cut the end off the pepper if you are slicing them in half. Gotta have the end on it to keep the filling in. Cook indirect and anywhere from 250-350 depending on what else you got on the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I boil my jalapeños prior to grilling them and cook the bacon half way (beware if you boil in the house!!)

My favorite is dove breasts with cream cheese. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Take the original cream cheese version and season liberally with DP pineapple head, then grill raised indirect. The sweet heat combo is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2016
    Griffin said:
    Don't cut the end off the pepper if you are slicing them in half. Gotta have the end on it to keep the filling in. 
    I agree! I have seen people lop off the butt end and then wonder why their cheese melted and ran out! Instead I take a knife and run under the doily under the stem. Then I cut my pepper in half and presto I have a boat that will hold my cheese and sausage filling!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Griffin said:

Don't cut the end off the pepper if you are slicing them in half. Gotta have the end on it to keep the filling in. Cook indirect and anywhere from 250-350 depending on what else you got on the Egg.

I try to slice down the center of the stem; it allows for picking up the jalapeno.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    For those of you who have Publix Grocery in your area....they their spinach and artichoke dip....as a filling.....then wrapped in bacon. Brings me joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    I love the basic one.

Jalapeno, philadelphia cream cheese, little smokies, bacon.

I put a little bit of dizzy dust into the cream cheese, and a lot of red eye express on the bacon.

====

For family who doesn't like spicy food (yes, those exist). I've done a few variations.
    1. Replaced the jalapeno with a small bell pepper. Turned our surprisingly decent
    2. Removed the dizzy pig, added paprika and a little garlic.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Little smokies, pimento cheese, and some rub. Don't use thick cut bacon. Thinner the better. Cook them indirect. Drink 5 beers and check on them
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cream cheese mixed with some cheddar and DJ'a boudain then grill till tender. Also good if wrap with bacon. 

• Here's how I roll. (Pics above) Core the jalepenos, fill with cream cheese, wrap in bacon and cook. I've found that a direct grilling maintains the spice, while smoking them until bacon is done loses the spice. Either way is great. Even people that don't care for spicy foods enjoy these. 

Variations: chop other peppers like serranos and habaneros to add to them and their seeds to the cream cheese to make it even spicier. Adding garlic, or your favorite seasoning mix, to the cream cheese makes for cool flavor profiles.

If you'd like to go real hot, mince a few habaneros, add them and their seeds to the cream cheese, then stuff back into a habanero that still has their cores and seeds intact. Wrap with bacon and grill/smoke them. Only a few die hard spice lovers will enjoy these. They will make parts of your mouth temporarily numb, but that's part of the fun... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Do a forum search for MPDs by @henapple .
    The best ones yet.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Chubbs said:
    Little smokies, pimento cheese, and some rub. Don't use thick cut bacon. Thinner the better. Cook them indirect. Drink 5 beers and check on them
    That's exactly how I make mine. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    8oz cream cheese , 8 0z chedderjack beaten until smooth, fill and wrap with low sodium bacon. goes on with the low and slow, , start looking in two hours.

More meat please !! :-)