Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smarter Starter Fluid at Home Depot

Options

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Every "BBQ/grilling" I ever had where they used lighter fluid, the end product ALWAYS tasted like lighter fluid.  That is why I now use Lump charcoal and a chimney to start it.  I have also always heard "NEVER use lighter fluid in the Egg." 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I prefer diesel over gasoline. Jet fuel in a pinch. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:

Can't agree with you, at all.  

@RRP suggested that the OP's fluid was pure alcohol (which it may be), and hence cannot taint the food (and lots of folks here use alcohol to light).

I did? Actually I meant a liquid alternative. At $46 for that jug of EVERCLEAR I use it sparingly and only when I have gotten frustrated with the speed of my usual methods. Already I learned to stand back! WAY the H*LL back using that stuff. Houdini would be proud of some of my balls of fire! Actually I hate using the stuff for that reason.
    I noticed the bottle had been emptied a bit, but I just assumed you were doing shots (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options

RRP said:
    BilZol said:

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care. Never said his food stunk. I said that I bet his lighter fluid did. Comprehension, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 
    Perhaps I should leave your comment alone but I just can't. Sooner than later you might want to at least be able to acknowledge who Myron is in the BBQ world - he's no backyard dude doing an occasional butt and some ribs.
    http://porkbarrelbbq.com/the-25-most-influential-people-in-bbq-number-5-myron-mixon/

I don't mean any disrespectime but I guess I'm not into the BBQ world. Don't follow sports teams either. I cook what I like and my family and friends seem to as well. I've been influenced more by my piers then anyone on a competitive circuit. I'll look through his cookbook at some point I'm sure but am finding Eric Mitchell's books quite enjoyable right now. 
    You sir are more likely to influence my experience in cooking then Myron, but more power to him. I'll get around to his book eventually. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Botch said:
    dopey said:
    @BBQBuddy would have deserved the troll button, 
    but so many responses appeared to think he was serious.... Slow clap, good job sir
    Can't agree with you, at all.  

@RRP suggested that the OP's fluid was pure alcohol (which it may be), and hence cannot taint the food (and lots of folks here use alcohol to light).
    @BilZol claims that "it stinks"; I've actually never used lighter fluid so it may, I'm gonna be checking a few cans with my reading glasses next time I'm in Lowe's/HD.  I could easily understand there are fluids out there that are not alcohol or have other additives.  Regardless, I would think ligher fluid would be aimed at the lump, and if a few drops hit the ceramic, yeah, it could soak in, but as the heat rises volatiles, any volatiles, "soaked" into the ceramic would quickly gas off and burn.  
    Myron Mixon has published at least two books on barbequeing, and has won many national contests, but yeah, I bet his food stinks of lighter fluid.  

Perhaps I need another intranetz break, this is like arguing with trump supporters.  :|
    One of the cooking shows on tv a woman chose to use an egg but the people that started it for her used lighter fluid. She lost cause the judges could taste it in the food even after burning off the lump.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @Lit That would've been Lee Ann Whippen of Wood Chicks BBQ. I remember that episode. I believe they were borrowed eggs.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    blasting said:

I give up.  I typed two terrific replies, and each time decided I'd regret it in the AM.  
    I feel this way about some of the other popular threads going tonight!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lighter fluid adds the "terrior" of American back-yard BBQ (as you probably remember dad's) to the flavor of the food.

Options
    Lighter fluid adds the "terrior" of American back-yard BBQ (as you probably remember dad's) to the flavor of the food.

Twue Stowy:  My Dad always lit the Kingsford with gasoline, so my finely-developed palate may be slightly shifted.
    At least the fumes never screwed up my jellllll hic olookasquirrel!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:

Twue Stowy:  My Dad always lit the Kingsford with gasoline, so my finely-developed palate may be slightly shifted.
    At least the fumes never screwed up my jellllll hic olookasquirrel!  
    Mine too.  Maybe that's why I salivate whenever I'm around a shop with internal combustion engines.
    I would never use lighter fluid in my egg. I don't have the patience for it. This is what I use. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Botch said:

Perhaps I need another intranetz break, this is like arguing with trump supporters.  :|
    Every time I ask a Hillary voter why I should vote for her and if she is lying about her health this is all I seem to get.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    BilZol said:

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care.
    Myron is one hell of a cook, and is one of @SGH's personal heroes. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It seems like it might be worth a try.  As mentioned plenty of people use some type of alternative liquid or fuel to ignite and this might be something completely different than standard lighter fluid.  That is how they are marketing it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQskZw3sgtQ

FWIW it has pretty mixed reviews

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NonaScott
    Options
    Pretty sure @BBQBuddy is a she
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I prefer diesel over gasoline. Jet fuel in a pinch. 

Wonder why this didn't show up in my notifications?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    BilZol said:
    So at least your used to losing arguments. 

I'm sure the volatile parts of the lighter fluid flash off, I'm sure they evaporate. So does gasoline. It still stinks when all is said and done. 

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care. Never said his food stunk. I said that I bet his lighter fluid did. Comprehension, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 
    Civility, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    So at least your used to losing arguments. 

I'm sure the volatile parts of the lighter fluid flash off, I'm sure they evaporate. So does gasoline. It still stinks when all is said and done. 

Civility, give it a whirl. It's amazing when you get the hang of it. 

Wow, if that was uncivil in your book based on what I was responding to you should probably block me. Did you even read what I was responding to??
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    based on the product info, this lighter fluid is (likely) made from  coconut oils hydrogenated to C12-C14 alcohols

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    based on the product info, this lighter fluid is (likely) made from  coconut oils hydrogenated to C12-C14 alcohols

That's what I had too.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i still remember how good leaded gas used to smell. this new gas stinks but it still starts a good fire =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Steve619
    Options
    So, if anyone is really interested, the product is ethanol with bitrex, per the msds (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/3f/3fe4c01a-03c3-4903-b9bb-0b166640196a.pdf)
    Should be safe, odorless, and not effect food taste. Personally, I'm very happy with my propane torch & will stick with that.
  • BilZol
    Options

If that means my backyard will smell like the beach all my BBQs will turn into luaus. I'm in!

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I prefer Castor Oil i get the same blue smoke in half the time.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    So they took fatty acids (from vegetables most likely) and turned them in to esters.  And added ethanol.  The esterification decreased the boiling point of the fatty acids.  Added some proprietary agent - BITREX, whatever the hell that is.

Sounds pretty food-safe to me.

ROBOT: 01000110 01101111 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01100101 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01110010 01101011 00100000 01100010 01110101 01110100 00100000 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101001 01110100 00101110 00100000

Options
    BilZol said:

Now, I still don't know who Myron is, don't really care.
    Myron is one hell of a cook, and is one of @SGH's personal heroes. 

His bull$hit notwithstanding, he certainly has my respect. His accomplishments more than speak for themselves. He has truly earned his place among the Q Gods. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Pretty sure @BBQBuddy is a she
    Yep.  And this is my Buddy:

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    Steve619 said:
    So, if anyone is really interested, the product is ethanol with bitrex, per the msds (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/3f/3fe4c01a-03c3-4903-b9bb-0b166640196a.pdf)
    Should be safe, odorless, and not effect food taste. Personally, I'm very happy with my propane torch & will stick with that.
    Sounded safe to me too.  Then again, I'm a little afraid of all the torch, weed burner, flame throwing devices all the gentlemen prefer.  It's a girl thing. 

My uncle had a kamado close to 50 yrs ago.  He actually ordered it from Japan.  He used mineral spirits!!  LOL  It didn't even have a temp gauge..he just fired it up and let er rip!  Best turkey I ever had...
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Steve619 said:
    My organization stuck at least four stupid icons on my computer desktop to look up MSDS's (I work in a cubicle farm and once had an industrial accident with a staple remover) but never thought of looking up the sheets for this (or any other, for that matter) products.  Thanks!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blasting said:

I give up.  I typed two terrific replies, and each time decided I'd regret it in the AM.  
    Gasoline is my go to.....
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga