Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seriously?!

Options
2»

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    HeavyG said:
    Are you pointing out the ad says for camo and the stock picture isn't?  

confused puzzled i dont get it what computer
    Well the second picture does show the camo on the logo plate.

So the "shock" is that the entire drum isn't covered with a vinyl camo sticker? If it were covered entirely I'd like to see a time-lapse of it all melting off. :)
    I'm still wondering what the post is about. Skippy skipped town?
    The point of the post was to highlight the cost of an overpriced UDS.  $850 is pathetic.
    Why? Because you feel a ceramic cooker with green glaze is superior? 
    Because $850 is a joke.  Not because the egg is better.  The post is in Off Topic for a reason.  You can build a UDS for under $250, but because some KCBS or other affiliated circuit stamped it, people believe it's worth a ****.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    RedSkip said:
    HeavyG said:

So the "shock" is that the entire drum isn't covered with a vinyl camo sticker? If it were covered entirely I'd like to see a time-lapse of it all melting off. :)
    The point of the post was to highlight the cost of an overpriced UDS.  $850 is pathetic.
    Because $850 is a joke.  Not because the egg is better.  The post is in Off Topic for a reason.  You can build a UDS for under $250, but because some KCBS or other affiliated circuit stamped it, people believe it's worth a ****.
    Can you build that smokers clone, have it work as well, and sell it for less? If so, your in business. If not....well....
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @yljkt

There are several other companies that already do this. Pit Barrel, Big Pappa Smokers, etc.  I have no interest in making a company in selling drum smokers.  Could I make it for less than $850, most definitely, just don't care to, nor have the time.

If you are interested, below are some Google Searches for ya...

Pit Barrel Cookers
    Big Pappa Smokers
    "Daddy Cooks" on YouTube shows you from scratch how to build your own...and many others.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Is it just me or is everyone a little edgy tonight? Do y'all need my recipe for margaritas??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,535
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    HeavyG said:

Well, yeah, cuz you can pour cold water into it to adjust the temp without it cracking!   =)

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @jeremiah skip the recipe and just bring a pitcher over. 

PS bring extra supplies. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I saw these spoons once, and it was ridiculous.  They worked just like other spoons, but they cost, like $100 each.  Blasphemy!
    Options
    On the way brother. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I saw these spoons once, and it was ridiculous.  They worked just like other spoons, but they cost, like $100 each.  Blasphemy!
    Those spoons came with coke already loaded
    a
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Is it just me or is everyone a little edgy tonight? Do y'all need my recipe for margaritas??
    Not edgy, but I do need that recipe.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Those spoons came with coke already loaded
    a
    I think that would probably be horse.
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I'm cutting back severely on my drinking.   So I'm an inflamed ahole tonight, not just a regular ahole.  I apologize to all.
    Jeremiah said:
    So I'm an inflamed ahole tonight
    This might help 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Sounds like the start of a Yeti vs RTic comparison thread.

"Your stupid for buying something that I found cheaper"

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    GaryLange said:
    They are asking $850+ dollars for this. You can go find a drum and build one yourself for most likely a $100.00. No way is that contraption worth $850+ dollars.
    That contraption won the American Royal, the World Food Championship BBQ and OVERALL divisions last year.  They are the kings of Drum smokers. *(the Smoking Hills is the team that was cooking for those 3 comps)
    If comp track record is a factor in your cooker purchase decision making, look up the Bullet's track record, and a fraction of the price.

For the record, I don't judge a cooker by the awards it's gathered, or the goofy organizations behind them.

But hey, to each their own.
    Those three competitions are a little different than winning your local KCBS comp. Winning the World Food Championship $100,000 with BBQ off any cooker is an accomplishment. And it proves that, at a minimum, it's a well designed cooker.  A proven design for $800 isn't that crazy. 

It has a cult following. I give that much more credence than the "goofy organizations" or awards. it's the same reason I bought a Green egg instead of the cheaper equivalent that comes with all accessories in Red.  So cooking ability isn't the only reason any of us at this site buy a cooker.

Those saying it's "just a UDS"  No, it's a perfect UDS. There is a significant difference.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So this whole competition BBQ stuff is a real thing? Teams and national events and all? Hmmmm, I thought it was just local stuff. Do they have trading cards and stuff too?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BilZol said:
    So this whole competition BBQ stuff is a real thing? Teams and national events and all? Hmmmm, I thought it was just local stuff. Do they have trading cards and stuff too?
    It's a big deal to some people.   I'm surprised there isn't a snarky Hollywood comedy about it.
    Options
    Of course they have trading cards. I have a Meathead Goldwyn rookie card in perfect shape.  =)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    BilZol said:
    It's a big deal to some people.   I'm surprised there isn't a snarky Hollywood comedy about it.
    It's about time for another Christopher Guest mockumentary, that would be excellent.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Of course they have trading cards. I have a Meathead Goldwyn rookie card in perfect shape.  =)

It would actually be cool. Appetizer card. Favorite recipie card. Limited edition secret card. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Or a mad rare Christopher Kimball episode worn bowtie card. Hahahahahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."