Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe temp to put the BGE cover back on?

JackGT
JackGT Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As we all know, it can take a looooong time for the BGE to cool down after a cook. Does anyone know what is a safe temperature to put the cover back on? I hate having to wait until midnight to put the cover back on.[p]JackGT

Comments

• Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    JackGT,
    I haven't found a fast was to cool down the BGE. I wait until I can hold my hands on the outside of the egg before I put on the cover. So far so good, I haven't melted a cover yet.

• jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    The BGE is ceramic.........it doesn't need a cover. I live in Chicago, my egg is exposed all year from 10 below to 100 and no problem
  • JackGT,
    I agree with Jimbob. It's probably my only gripe with the bge - the long cool down. If I can hold myt hands on it without screaming the cover goes on.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JackGT,
    After 6 years of use I have found that waiting until it is dead cold in the morning is very acceptable. I don't understand your concern for quickly covering your BGE. The ceramic isn't going to fade or crackle if that is your concern.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.