Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Sam's Club or Costco

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do carry current memberships to both clubs.  Costco makes me happy, Sam's sad.

This really does a great job explaining why Costco creates a better customer experience.  Read it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-06/costco-ceo-craig-jelinek-leads-the-cheapest-happiest-company-in-the-world

Options
    The only thing I have bought at Costco have been the Whole Packer Prime Briskets.
    After reading about how they mechanically tenderize their meat I would avoid those items. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    It's interesting that Sams is still in business, given the overwhelming nod to Costco.
    There are many places that have a Sams but no Costco. My area being one of them. I'm sure that this helps to keep Sams going. Also preference does not mean that everyone who prefers Costco shops there over Sams every time. I would wager that half of the folks who prefer Costco over SAMs still shop at SAMs from time to time. And vice versa. The closest Costco to me is about 93 miles away. They don't even carry brisket. I know this varies from store to store, but this plays in the local SAMs favor as they do carry brisket. 
    To some degree I like both stores. So it's 50/50 to me either way. At the end of the day, they both just want your money. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:
    It's interesting that Sams is still in business, given the overwhelming nod to Costco.
    There are many places that have a Sams but no Costco. My area being one of them. I'm sure that this helps to keep Sams going. Also preference does not mean that everyone who prefers Costco shops there over Sams every time. I would wager that half of the folks who prefer Costco over SAMs still shop at SAMs from time to time. And vice versa. The closest Costco to me is about 93 miles away. They don't even carry brisket. I know this varies from store to store, but this plays in the local SAMs favor as they do carry brisket. 
    To some degree I like both stores. So it's 50/50 to me either way. At the end of the day, they both just want your money. 
    My Dad lives 5 minutes away from a Costco. He refuses to share a membership with my Mom to Costco because he has gone to Sam's the last 20 years and knows where everything is. He'd rather drive the extra 15 minutes. So my Mom shares her other half account with my sister. Hard to break old habits 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    SGH said:
     The closest Costco to me is about 93 miles away. They don't even carry brisket.

Yes they do.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:

Yes they do.
    The one in Mobile had zero brisket the last time I was there. I even asked. That may have changed now, but it was certainly the case then. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    SGH said:
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:

Yes they do.
    The one in Mobile had zero brisket the last time I was there. I even asked. That may have changed now, but it was certainly the case then. 
    Aren't you about 93 miles from NOLA?  The one here consistently has prime packers.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:

Yes they do.
    Aren't you about 93 miles from NOLA?  The one here consistently has prime packers.
    That should have been 73 miles. Costco in Mobile, Alabama. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    62 miles to Mobile, 93 miles to New Orleans.  Bottle of Jack Daniels, 10 feet.
    Options
    62 miles to Mobile, 93 miles to New Orleans.  Bottle of Jack Daniels, 10 feet.
    The Jack is actually about 23 feet from where I sit. You were close though. 

Status- Standing by.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Should have went Executive with the new VIsa card for mucho cashback.  You'll pay for your membership and then some.  
    You can upgrade to Executive at any time and they charge you a prorated fee.  You can also go back to regular membership and they'll do a prorated refund.
    Yep, but why not get that first purchase on your balance so you get the cash back?  

That's essentially when I upgraded too.  They stopped me in the checkout line and I bit.  Glad I have though.  The new Visa though is nice.  Like Egg said, the 4% gas and essentially 4% on Costco purchases too (2% with Exec. and 2% on the card).  It's a no brainier if they going to give you money to use it!  
    Sometimes a reason comes up during your membership year and it is good to know that you can upgrade at any time. In my case, it was a special sale on tires that was only available to Executive members.  I did the upgrade and got the special and the 2% back.  Don't know if I'll renew as an executive until I see how much I spend during the rest of my year.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    F Wal-Mart
    +1. If you are feeling bad about yourself, go to Walmart around midnight on a Saturday and walk around. It looks like the catina scene from Star Wars. You'll feel a lot better about your life choices afterwards. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    F Wal-Mart
    +1. If you are feeling bad about yourself, go to Walmart around midnight on a Saturday and walk around. It looks like the catina scene from Star Wars. You'll feel a lot better about your life choices afterwards. 
    This used to be the (legal)highlight of our 2am high school antics.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    F Wal-Mart
    Wings

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    ...close! 
    Image result for star wars cantina band blue elephant

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Based on how Costco explained it to me, its a no brainer to do the executive. If after 1 year I do not spend enough to receive at least a $55 dollar rebate check I can return my rebate and they will refund me the $55 dollars. Seemed like a simple decision unless the customer service rep wasnt being truthful.
  • DieselkW
    Options
    Costco Executive membership - worth every penny. I buy all my big ticket items there, pay less than I would anywhere else, and I get a check once a year for a percentage of my spending, which is ALWAYS more than $55.

Just walk around, look at the employees. They're practically whistling zippidee doo dah. $13/hour starting wage for part time, and both full and part time workers get medical/dental PAID.

It's a much better business model, a superior store, and you can't beat their meat. (Yeah Buffalo, I said it)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    dstearn said:
    The only thing I have bought at Costco have been the Whole Packer Prime Briskets.
    After reading about how they mechanically tenderize their meat I would avoid those items. 
    I buy almost all my meat from Costco and cook their steaks to 125 and have been for years and never had the slightest issue. I grind the chuck roast for burgers also and cook them medium rare and they are great. The meat area is fully visible in all the stores around me and extremely clean. I would worry about the local butcher before Costco.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Bon Appetite recently named Costco's Kirkland Brand as the best house brand ever. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    DMW said:
    GregW said:
    Just got a Sam's card because it is close by and It was essentially free during a promotion.
    It's a really sad situation in the meat department. I can't believe how unskilled the meat cutters are. For example, in a package of 3 ribeyes, each steak was a different thickness. Side to side the steaks varied by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
    I've reached the point that I would rather pay a slight premium to buy steaks from a place that actually has skilled butchers.
    I do prefer Costco, but even their meat cutters leave a lot to be desired.
    Just buy the whole ribeye and cut it yourself. I have one in the fridge I picked up from Costco last weekend. I'm planning to cut off a few steaks to freeze and then dry age the rest before steaking it out.
    You know, that's a good idea. Do you have a feel for what the average weight is? and how many steaks I would get out of it, assuming 1 1/4 thickness?
  • GregW
    Options
    For those who are Sam's members does Sam's have 50 check-out lanes with only 2 cashiers like most Wal-Marts?  
    Yes indeed, Sam's is a Walmart checkout situation.

It's amazing to me how Costco can have major lines that move exceedingly fast. They are masters at getting the crowd out of the door.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    F Wal-Mart
    Wings
    Scenes like this are why I rarely, if ever, visit a Wal-Mart anymore. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    F Wal-Mart
    Wings
    Scenes like this are why I rarely, if ever, visit a Wal-Mart anymore. 

I don't know why Walmart is a magnet for weirdos, but it sure is fascinating.  People watching is the only reason I would go to Walmart.  

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GregW said:
    DMW said:
    GregW said:
    Just got a Sam's card because it is close by and It was essentially free during a promotion.
    It's a really sad situation in the meat department. I can't believe how unskilled the meat cutters are. For example, in a package of 3 ribeyes, each steak was a different thickness. Side to side the steaks varied by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
    I've reached the point that I would rather pay a slight premium to buy steaks from a place that actually has skilled butchers.
    I do prefer Costco, but even their meat cutters leave a lot to be desired.
    Just buy the whole ribeye and cut it yourself. I have one in the fridge I picked up from Costco last weekend. I'm planning to cut off a few steaks to freeze and then dry age the rest before steaking it out.
    You know, that's a good idea. Do you have a feel for what the average weight is? and how many steaks I would get out of it, assuming 1 1/4 thickness?
    The one I have in the fridge is 14.5# and about 15" long. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    Options

The one I have in the fridge is 14.5# and about 15" long. 
    Thanks
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Lit said:
    dstearn said:
    I buy almost all my meat from Costco and cook their steaks to 125 and have been for years and never had the slightest issue. I grind the chuck roast for burgers also and cook them medium rare and they are great. The meat area is fully visible in all the stores around me and extremely clean. I would worry about the local butcher before Costco.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

Hopefully you will never have a problem. As for me, I will be checking labels wherever I purchase meat. I was not aware of this until recently. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Lit said:
    dstearn said:
    I agree that Costco's meat processing area is definitely cleaner than most butcher departments at supermarkets.  However, blade tenderizing does increase the risk of contamination and many cuts do not require it - like Rib Eye, Prime steaks, etc.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have the choice. My state only allows liquor sales at state liquor stores so Costco won't locate here. They are a 45 mile drive across the state line in Alabama. I can't make the cost savings justify the drive.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Plan on buying Costco steaks today!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf