Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smash Burgers

Nothing better than smash burgers on the cast iron on medium egg. Only way I will cook burgers anymore.

SB1.JPG 304.6K
SB2.JPG 211.8K

Comments

• Hell yes !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Yes sir!!!!'
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    It is currently the only way I make burgers.  They're just too good!

I'm still deciding what fat percentage I like in it though. 

I made it with either 70% or 80% recently (I forget which) and it was distractedly greasy.  Then I made it with a leaner organic cut 85% or 90% (again, I have to write this stuff down) and it was too dry.

What mix do you guys like for smashburgers?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    80/20
    Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    80/20
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Okay...dumb questions coming.....what is a smash burger?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    80/15 gives you the best of both worlds.
    NOLA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    buzd504 said:
    But what's the other 5%?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Acn said:
    buzd504 said:
    But what's the other 5%?
    You mix 5% Cowboy Lump in with the meat.  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • buzd504
    Acn said:
    buzd504 said:
    But what's the other 5%?
    I usually throw it out.
    NOLA
  • Yep.... I'd eat that pretty quickly.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Okay...dumb questions coming.....what is a smash burger?

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Oh my........I never thought there would be a way that would make me think about NOT using my Egg!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • @tikigriller .. same concept .. just use a griddle on your BGE.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I like smash burgers, but honestly I like thick charcoal grilled burgers better.  I feel like I'm in the minority around here on this, but hey, we all have different tastes.
  • Acn said:
    buzd504 said:
    But what's the other 5%?
    This stuff.  
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Oh my........I never thought there would be a way that would make me think about NOT using my Egg!
    You will want to use the Egg, unless you have an industrial kitchen fan.  Or indoors if you want to test the smoke alarms  :)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Thank God I made that statement then, cause I was going to do it indoors!!!!

Temp on the grill?  I would guess 600?

Livermore, California
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Smash burgers are so good I just can't find myself to make a burger any other way.  Anyone that is new to this just needs to do this:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=smash+burger&&view=detail&mid=B020765099550F0ADB05B020765099550F0ADB05&FORM=VRDGAR
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Like the spares vs backs debate, I enjoy both traditional and smash.  Nice to switch things up.  Found some cool Nordic Ware cheese warmers at the VA gift shop today $9.99 ea, no tax.  2 staggered, fit the 17"  BS Tailgater perfect, could easily fit a few burgers under each one.  

Will be a great addition for burgers and eggs at the campground.  Fits inside the Griswold and Lodge CS, the rolled edges are a nice touch.  Good for leftovers and keeping food warm too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Excellent. I've been cooking a lot of smash burgers lately on the egg in CI.
    It sure beats smoking the house up and battling the smoke detectors.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I use a steel pizza stone from crate and barrel on mine. Thin steel on the grate raised up to the felt. Let the fire rage. A little butter and toss on the balls of beef. I can do 4 at a time and it's fast cookin. 

Once done I toast the buns in the fat still on the griddle. 

Damn good burgers. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Will have to try toasting the buns on the griddle in the fat after pulling next time. Thanks for the info/suggestion.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Yeah i shut the vents down when I flip the last batch, and cheese them if we do. Buns and then it's all done.

I don't normally cheese them.. I pile on the pimento cheese instead and let it slowly melt!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • I tried smash burgers for the first time a couple weeks ago. I did them on the cast iron on the stove because I didn't have a cast iron griddle for the egg. 

I have a cast iron griddle for the egg now. Need I say more?
    NW IOWA
  • buzd504
    edited September 2016
    I bought a cast iron pizza stone for searing and smash burgers on the egg, and it works great.

Also, I advise getting a tub of ghee.  Available next to the butter - pricey at _$11/tub, but so totally worth it.  (It's butter with the milk fat removed so it won't scorch, ie clarified butter)
    NOLA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    buzd504 said:
    I bought a cast iron pizza stone for searing and smash burgers on the egg, and it works great.

Also, I advise getting a tub of ghee.  Available next to the butter - pricey at _$11/tub, but so totally worth it.  (It's butter with the milk fat removed so it won't scorch, ie clarified butter)
    If you have a Trader Joe's around their ghee is much more reasonably priced (depending on how big the tub is).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:
    buzd504 said:

If you have a Trader Joe's around their ghee is much more reasonably priced (depending on how big the tub is).
    If you have access to an Indian Grocery store, the Ghee is fairly cheap there. It is a staple ingredient in Indian cooking.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Going for the Smash tonight......it's only 11 AM and I am already ready!

Livermore, California