Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's salt solution to prevent burnt grease?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Today I'm using a cake pan which is too tall to allow me to get spacers under it on the inverted PS and still fit it under the grill. So I scattered kosher salt on the bottom, but didn't cover it heavily either. Will that be enough to prevent burnt grease? Guess I'll know in 3 hours since this is a turbo cook, but curious if I should start practicing my curse words... =)
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    can you take picture of this? also curious about the background of salt and how it is preventing burnt grease. Thanks
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    RRP  ps legs up, can you just place the grate on the cake pan? still use the spacers.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Ron, in a situation like this, maybe some flat washers laid on the PS--scattered around 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im sure bankers need all the practice they can get, being a 5th generation boiler maker, practice for me is trying to hold it all back =)  dont know about salt in a drip pan, it does work in a skillet searing steaks indoors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Ask @Mickey
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i don't use a spacer.

melted fat (grease) doesn't burn.  it would burst into flame if it did.

the foamy bits (like from sugar in a sauce) don't really put off acrid smoke either.

burning drippings are the kind of thing that sound like something you'd want to avoid, but they don't really 'burn', and if they did, it is the same exact type of black stuff that you get on the meat. 

it's a result of sugars in the meat and sauce carbonizing in a low oxygen environment.  not actually 'burning' (as in, with smoke)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So it's a carbon problem.
    Nice to know.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Use pennies stacked as high as you need.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Use pennies stacked as high as you need.
    Or line that pan with $100 dollar bills. Sorry Ron, I could not resist ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have always used salt in my drip pan and has worked for me. Just a good cover layer is all I use. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    All I know(which isn't a whole helluva lot), is that whatever is burning carbonizing or whatever you wanna call it..doesn't smell good at all.

Hold on a sec, let me puff on this j.

The real question is brothers and sisters of the flame....
    Is carbonizing burning?  Pretty deep stuff man.

Here hit this.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I've used copper pipe elbows for spacers for years
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Or....
    (inhale)
    (cough cough)
    (exhale)
    is burning carbonizing?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well. In a 250 oven in never gets over 250. 

Lack of oxygen and the moisture being driven off is what carbonizes it. 

And there's a readon you don't 'burn' wood to make charcoal. The pile of wood smolders under low oxygen and bever really catches flame

but whatever

it doesn't stink and burn. You imagine it does

tell me the difference, seriously, educate me, about the difference between the hunk of black bark ON the pork butt (all carbonized fat and sugar) and the same thing in your drip pan

You tell me how a brisket or butt gets jet black all over (especially with sugar) amd you don't worry for a second about its being 'burnt', but a few pieces in a drip pan are a tailspin

Said it many times. My egg is magic. cooks simply and without special star alignments and fancy equipment

Everyone else has a house of cards of narrow temp ranges required, special lump needed, powered draft devices pluggedin, and now, apparently, thermally isolated drip pans. 

sorry. Can't stop laughing at some of this 

EDIT: and yes. Carbonizing IS different than burning. You fuel your egg with carbon, and burn it. Leaving ash. Sugars and proteins (sauces, meat drippings) carbonize. They don't burn. What's left is carbon, not ash. Crack a book for me one time, bros

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Focker said:
    Or....
    (inhale)
    (cough cough)
    (exhale)
    is burning carbonizing?

Don't Bogart that....pass it around. 
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well. In a 250 oven in never gets over 250. 

Lack of oxygen and the moisture being driven off is what carbonizes it. 

And there's a readon you don't 'burn' wood to make charcoal. The pile of wood smolders under low oxygen and bever really catches flame

but whatever

it doesn't stink and burn. You imagine it does

tell me the difference, seriously, educate me, about the difference between the hunk of black bark ON the pork butt (all carbonized fat and sugar) and the same thing in your drip pan

You tell me how a brisket or butt gets jet black all over (especially with sugar) amd you don't worry for a second about its being 'burnt', but a few pieces in a drip pan are a tailspin

Said it many times. My egg is magic. cooks simply and without special star alignments and fancy equipment

Everyone else has a house of cards of narrow temp ranges required, special lump needed, powered draft devices pluggedin, and now, apparently, thermally isolated drip pans. 

sorry. Can't stop laughing at some of this 

EDIT: and yes. Carbonizing IS different than burning. You fuel your egg with carbon, and burn it. Leaving ash. Sugars and proteins (sauces, meat drippings) carbonize. They don't burn. What's left is carbon, not ash. Crack a book for me one time, bros

Maybe my olfactory receptors were high man.  I dunno?  Too much reading is killing my buzz.

(inhale)
    (cough cough)
    (exhale)

Wouldn't it be hotter closer to the fire man?
    Oven???  Who said anything about an oven?

Are you high man? Lol

Do you think carbonizing is partial burning then?
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/carbonizing

You've got some big lungs.
    Here, hit this....it's grade A sh!t bro.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The same dude talking about how a 250 egg is 250 is the dude talking about lump burning at 20000009 degrees. I'd venture a guess that the pan on or off a spacer is seeing higher temps than the done thermo. Just a guess as I'm a under edjuacted red neck. 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Not sure.  Think "red neck" is one word.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not sure.  Think "red neck" is one word.

Just a guess as I'm a under edjuacted red neck. 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Now I'm torn, my table salt has become in high demand as ammo for my bug-a-salt, dare I spare any for this technique?
  • Focker
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Now I'm torn, my table salt has become in high demand as ammo for my bug-a-salt, dare I spare any for this technique?
    Use water,hoard the ammo.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The same dude talking about how a 250 egg is 250 is the dude talking about lump burning at 20000009 degrees. I'd venture a guess that the pan on or off a spacer is seeing higher temps than the done thermo. Just a guess as I'm a under edjuacted red neck. 
    Me too.
    But he's read books, BIG books, and is laughing at us.
    Clearly, he must be right.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This looks like fun. Looks can be deceiving.

I'm not gonna pull the chemist card here (although some might argue saying that is implicit in pulling that). 

Taste is simple - saltiness, sweetness, sourness, bitterness an umami.  What's complex is texture, sensations of moisture (water, oil, etc vs dryness).  And especially scent.  We aren't bloodhounds, but we can discern more with scent than taste.  The two intermingle, with texture, end result - if it's good and we're hungry we eat it.

That said, keep your operation smelling good to your standards and it should, if you season and cook it properly, manage the texture, taste great.  Everyone has a different "learned" sense of taste and smell for their food.  In general, don't fvck up, keep your grill smelling good and chill the fvck out. 

That super smokey taste is great for some people and not so much for others.  If you like the way your operation smells, you'll probably like how the food tastes.  Do whatever to make it smell good.

I don't worry so much about it, although I've had some fiascos, I've learned from them. People pretty much expect some burned fat taste from BBQ, and we've come to think that's pretty much "authentic".

In my years of outdoor cooking and forum research I have seen several myths get perpetuated. 

Drip pans
    need for gaskets
    how avoid cracking ceramic 
    the need for upgraded top vents to cook in the rain
    and the list goes on and on...
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @RRP
    What was your end result?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    i don't use a spacer.

melted fat (grease) doesn't burn.  it would burst into flame if it did.

the foamy bits (like from sugar in a sauce) don't really put off acrid smoke either.

burning drippings are the kind of thing that sound like something you'd want to avoid, but they don't really 'burn', and if they did, it is the same exact type of black stuff that you get on the meat. 

it's a result of sugars in the meat and sauce carbonizing in a low oxygen environment.  not actually 'burning' (as in, with smoke)

Darby,

Like you, I don't worry about the grease that drips into a pan or on the plate setter. I really can't taste any difference with spacers under the pan or not. But I have to disagree with you when you say melted fat or grease doesn't burn. If you let it drip into the lit coals and open the lid to get it some oxygen, it will definitely catch on fire. I come from a region where whole hog cooking is really common and have seen some grills completely destroyed from grease fires. I also cook occasionally on a UDS. I love the taste that comes from pork butt grease dripping directly into the coals. But if you take the lid off for too long, you will have a fire for sure.

• fishlessman
    Options
    just be careful with grease and low and slows, it seems to drip up  =)
    this was duck cooked direct
    B)
    100_1113jpg

fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @fishlessman Food cooking at L&S or Turbo emit airborne grease and carbon. I guess I KISS when doing L&S and just cover the food side of the PS in attempt to make cleanup easier...nothing more nothing less. As far as an off taste due to drippings I'm like @nolaegghead and call this BBQ or simply put outdoor cooking. 
    Here's what happens when a hood or exhaust isn't cleaned. Well poo! Can't find my recently archived pics of this hood. It was so caked up the 22" blower wheel looked like a deranged greasy chocolate donut! 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman Food cooking at L&S or Turbo emit airborne grease and carbon. I guess I KISS when doing L&S and just cover the food side of the PS in attempt to make cleanup easier...nothing more nothing less. As far as an off taste due to drippings I'm like @nolaegghead and call this BBQ or simply put outdoor cooking. 
    Here's what happens when a hood or exhaust isn't cleaned. Well poo! Can't find my recently archived pics of this hood. It was so caked up the 22" blower wheel looked like a deranged greasy chocolate donut! 

pretty much most of my cooks are raised direct, i like the taste as well.  i do understand airborn grease, i have a big burner stove in a tiny house kitchen, no exhaust, its almost a better idea to replace the ceiling fan yearly than try to clean it =)
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmm bark..

Brandon
    Quad Cities