Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza's

Options
I am a new BGE large owner, about a month.  I have done pork loins, pork butt, chicken and brisket.  I haven't ruined anything yet and the family is enjoying the new flavors the egg produces.

Tried pizza this weekend and family wants to do them weekly.  Homemade sauce and dough.  Had temp around 600 with the pizza stone on the BGE folding rack extender used the plate setter with legs down had parchment paper on about 4 minutes then removed it, pizzas took between 6-8 minutes.  Very happy with the results.

What is a great dough recipe? Also is "00" flour worth effort to find, closest place is more than an hour away unless I use amazon.

We are not good at making them round

Chicken BBQ

Red Sauce, Basil, Tomato

One more for the wife

Comments

• bhedges1987
    Options
    That marg pizza looks great!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Great looking pizzas, the best part is they aren't round - that's home made in my book.
    I make them all the time. Only did the dough once - was nice but have a great source in my home town for only $2.50 each - makes 4 pies. 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am no pizza expert but we make our fair share.  Just did 3 this weekend.  To me, 00 flour has made a huge difference with my dough.    Here is the recipe I use.  

Ingredients

22.5 ounces (about 4 1/2 cups) bread flour, plus more for dusting
    .5 ounces (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
    .35 ounces kosher salt (about 1 tablespoon)
    .35 ounces (about 2 teaspoons) instant yeast
    1.125 ounces Extra Virgin olive oil (about 3 tablespoons)
    15 ounces lukewarm water
    Procedures

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in bowl of food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated. Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing 15 seconds longer.

Transfer dough ball to lightly floured surface and knead once or twice by hand until smooth ball is formed. It should pass the windowpane test. Divide dough into three even parts and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least 1 day, and up to 5. Remove from refrigerator, shape into balls, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before baking.

I would suggest getting a digital kitchen scale and measuring the ingredients.  Makes for a much more consistent dough.

As for the shape, easier to get it round if you start with a round dough ball.  Use your fingers  to push it out from the middle of the ball leaving a lip around the crust.  Flip and keep using your fingers to push out the dough ball from the middle out.  I then use my  fists to gently stretch the dough.  You get better the more you do it.  

By by the way- those pies look great!!
    XL BGE
  • Deek1997
    Options
    00 flour makes a big difference, in my opinion.  We actually just did pizzas tonight, used the recipe in the BGE cookbook but used 00 flour instead and they turned out great.  I also like the recipe found at this link: 

https://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

I've done that a couple times too. Great dough. One tip would be to make it the day before and put it in the fridge overnight. 
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Those look great! Nice cook! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Stormbringer
    Options
    I also found through experimentation that 00 flour makes a positive difference.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    wc116 said:
    ... Also is "00" flour worth effort to find, closest place is more than an hour away unless I use amazon....
    Not all "00" flour is the same.  The "00" refers to the grain size the wheat has been milled to.  There are variations in protein content. Any time you are using flour, pay attention to the protein content - it makes a difference.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• wc116
    Options
    thank you everyone, this is such a great forum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    wc116 said:
    I am a new BGE large owner, about a month.  

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new BGE. 

What is a great dough recipe?

This question ^^^^^^^ can start a fight if you are not careful who you ask. Being new you probably won't get the joke. Hang around and you will understand.  

On a side note, great looking grub my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    If I could make pizzas like that I'd do it weekly too!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Nice job.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice first effort!  @SGH never jokes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @SGH never jokes.
    Never. I tell it like it is ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    @SGH never jokes.
    Never. I tell it like it is ;)
    Straight shooting SOB.  Always literal, like an Oracle.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    Looks perfect!!!  :rock_on: