Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

immersion blender recommendation

Options
Our stick blender is 25 years old and running out of gas.  We need to replace, any recommendations for what to get or what to avoid?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I have a plain ol' Sunbeam and it works fine.

What I'm waiting for is a damn cordless stick blender.  While there's usually an outlet near most stoves, I don't like that cord bouncing around lit burners, cordless would be ideal.  
    Last time I looked there was only one on the market, and they wanted damn near $300 for it.  The mechanicals in a stick blender have to be simpler than a $40 cordless grass clipper, so why not a blender?
    Hmmm, I smell a Kickstarter campaign...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    We have the Cuisinart "Smart Stick".. We have only had it for about 6 months, but so far very happy, Stainless steel body.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WOW! I just looked at a few and have sticker shock! I've had mine for a good 10-12 years (Hamilton Beach), but I found it at a yard sale for $1. No idea how old it really is. From the look of it, it probably wasn't even remotely expensive, but it still works well. I had no idea they were as costly as some of them are!

@Botch, I did see a couple of cordless ones on amazon. Not cheap, but cordless. Here's one,,,
    https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-300-Variable-Rechargeable-Stainless/dp/B00X3N9L8S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1472916976&sr=8-6&keywords=cordless+stick+blender

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I saw that serious eats article, but I'm not a fan of their equipment reviews. On that one, if you read the comments, one reader said, "Man, I really miss the days when you would tell us what other brands/models were tested, and why you didn't like them. I understand the business reasons not to, but from a reader point of view, it's really frustrating." Kenji replied, "...unfortunately not something that's gonna happen on an ad-supported site. I'd love to have it both ways but that's just reality."

Unbiased reviews? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    We have the Cuisinart "Smart Stick".. We have only had it for about 6 months, but so far very happy, Stainless steel body.
    Ditto. Since Christmas. 
  • Botch
    Options
    Thanks, @Carolina Q; that's a bit more reasonably priced, although the stick alone for $75 would be even better (I already have an electric knife, blender, and food processor  ;)).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    edited September 2016
    Options

I saw that serious eats article, but I'm not a fan of their equipment reviews. On that one, if you read the comments, one reader said, "Man, I really miss the days when you would tell us what other brands/models were tested, and why you didn't like them. I understand the business reasons not to, but from a reader point of view, it's really frustrating." Kenji replied, "...unfortunately not something that's gonna happen on an ad-supported site. I'd love to have it both ways but that's just reality."

Unbiased reviews? 
    Ironically I just got my renewal to Cook's Illustrated  this morning, not cheap at $28.95!  However, I will pay it as they ARE not ad-supported, and I trust their reviews (and they're not afraid to knock something when warranted).  I also subscribe to Consumer Reports and a wookworking magazine that doesn't sell ads for the same reason.  The Internet is good for unbiased views also (although, caveat, it's also good for biased views too :lol: ).  

CI/America's Test Kitchen does have a bias against the BGE, no doubt.  Once I retire I think I'm gonna load up my Large, drive out to the Boston area, set it up, and make them some food:
    - Day 1, grilled steaks (maybe reverse sear!)
    - Day 2, bake a loaf of bread
    - Day 3, a thin Margherita pizza cooked in 90 seconds at 900F,
    - Night 3/Day 4, a packer brisket!
    If that don't change their yankee minds, well, then there's no hope.   =)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    I have a Kitchen Aid stick blender.  I do NOT recommend it.  Had an el cheapo sunbeam that died, but the sunbeam worked much better.

Fyi, I only use it for making mayonnaise and pesto.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a Waring Pro stick blender.
    It's a piece of junk. A bearing is seized up in the blade end. I have to free it up every time I need to use it.
    Honestly, when I feel the need to use a immersion blender, I just use my Vitamix commercial blender. It does a far better job of blending. I do have to clean another item, but it really is self cleaning. I just add water and soap and turn it on.....it self washes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We only use ours for soups.  Usually use the blender or food processor....but I realize after reading that review they're good for lots of stuff and probably easier to clean than blender/processor.
    Options
    Botch said:
    ... What I'm waiting for is a damn cordless stick blender.
    Here's a cheaper one: $96 on Amazon.

But I think I found the one you saw at $300, and it looks WAY cool -- like a James Bond attache case with all kinds of weaponry:

Don't know whether it works or not, but it looks like they're offering a lot more than the basics for that price.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like my Cuisinart. Reliable, dishwasher safe...  It's a soup making machine. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I like my Cuisinart. Reliable, dishwasher safe...  It's a soup making machine. 
    have the cheaply Cuisinart, it was about $40CDN - works very well and has two speeds, well three if you count off!
    ideal for all sauces, salad dressings and gravies. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Botch said:
    ... What I'm waiting for is a damn cordless stick blender.
    Here's a cheaper one: $96 on Amazon.

But I think I found the one you saw at $300, and it looks WAY cool -- like a James Bond attache case with all kinds of weaponry:

Don't know whether it works or not, but it looks like they're offering a lot more than the basics for that price.
    Okay, I must never click on your link to the $96 model again tonight, or probably the rest of this holiday weekend!   :o;)

That attache blender setup was not the $300 model I remember, but dayam if it had a "Snap-On" sticker on it, I'da probably bought it by now.  

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    We just bought a Kitchen Aid 5 speed and it's been great. $99.00 on Amazon. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Botch
    Options
    Botch said:  Okay, I must never click on your link to the $96 model again tonight, or probably the rest of this holiday weekend!   :o;)   
    Gah, I don't have to.  Every single forum I click on now has that &#^%! blender shoved in my face, Give Us Your Monneeeeyyyy!!!  :anguished:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Haha @Botch

I hate that shopping history and those targeted adds

lots of good suggestions from everyone, thanks
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Bamix that ive had for20 yrs and it works perfectly