Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Somewhat OT: Desperately Seeking Guidance

Options
Folks,

This might make me seem like a heretic, but I regularly use my Egg's neighbor, the stick burner.  It has served me well for nearly 17 years.  I am trying to find a replacement for my firebox grate (pics attached).  It has rusted beyond use.  Attached are a few pictures.  It measures 16" x 9" x 2" tall.

Any ideas?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Should be pretty easy to have a local shop fab one up for you, no?

i wouldn't want to volunteer anyone here, but i'd bet more than a few guys here have the ability to bang that out for you, provided with a few dimensions
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    You can buy expanded metal like that at lowes and tractor supply. Then (if
    you have the ability) weld some flat stock to it. Or stick a couple brick pavers under it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Check any local Home Depot or other home store for expanded metal. most sell it in some form.
    If that fails check craigslist for a local welder. Pretty sure they can fix you up.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Try any local metal fabrication shops?  I'm sure the collective genius here will likely offer a homemade solution soon.  Doesn't look that challenging but beyond my skill-set.  
    And true confession...what make/model/type stick burner?  17 years (depending on use) is a great run.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks, all.  Unfortunately, I possess neither the skills nor the tools to fabricate one myself if welding is in the plan.  :-)

I had not heard of expanded metal before.  I will go check that out at HD.

@lousubcap , I wish I could tell you.  It was a gift from my father in law.  The thing is built like a tank.  I have had it sandblasted and powercoated once about 10 years ago.  It doesn't look new, but it will easily outlast me.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Buy the heavy weight expanded metal. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @TEggSun - Great score-and I'm sure you will get this sorted out.  I won't ask which rig produces the most flavorful Q.  ;)  Best of luck-you've got this.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @TEggSun Where are you located? How big is the grate? I work for a steel supplier I might have a piece left from a custom cut order order.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My son picked up an old offset and I think he used the fireplace grate from his living room. Pretty sure it is bigger than 16X9 though, might be worth a try as a fireplace grate will last a long time and you can get an ember hold one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Looks like a piece of cake. If there are any steel sales places around you you could probably find a remnant.  You wouldn't have to weld it, you could nut and bolt it with some fender washers.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Great advice by everyone.  I have options.   :)

Seriously, thanks for this, everyone.  It might sound a bit cheesy, but I have an emotional attachment to this cooker since it came from my father in law.