Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheapisserie®

I’m sure like many of you,  I like all those pictures and accolades of the Joetisserie.. so after a lengthy design phase and thorough product testing: here is the “Cheapisserie®” --The RTIC version of the Yeti-Joetisserie, only I guaranty not as good as the original.

Step 1. Went to Lowes and got 2 pieces of metal duct sheets. ($12)

Step 2: Measured diameter of internal Egg and multiplied by π to get needed length.

Step 3: Cut each peace on an angle so that bottom length was per step 2, but top length was less by ~2 inches.

Step 4: pinched together the 2 pieces.

Step 5: Cut a whole and slot so that spit would fit.

Step 6: purchased rotisserie kit from Amazon ($70 – wish I hadn’t thrown away the one I used to have..)

I have to say.. This was the best tasting chicken I’ve had in a long time…. Better than spatch, sous vide or beer can.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 10,996
    edited June 2016
    Yes!!!! That's awesome. Nicely done
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    Very cool!

I opened this wondering how technical you were going to get with angles, etc, but I love this simplicity.  I think I can do this, and I can't do anything.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's some serious engineering.....well done Sir!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Great redneck ingenuity!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Anywhere you. Can save money it is a great thing.....
  • westernbbq
    i am thinking about making these rings for the minimax, large and xl!  Rotisserie Chicken is the best.  Something about the constant basting of succulent meat, the fat dripping away and the awesome smoky goodness you get cant be beat
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Mission accomplished.....nice.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Raymont, hahaha, love the ®!

Nice work! Did you lose much smoke? I did pretty much the same thing, but without the sheet metal. Dome propped open about the same as yours, but with no barrier. Lost a ton of smoke, but was able to maintain temp. Had to scrub the outside of the dome afterward to get rid of the accumulated soot. Mine's a work in progress.

How did you mount the motor? Hard to tell from the pic. I had to clamp mine to one of my egg mates.

Too late for you, but if anyone else wants to give this a try, Lowe's has a rotisserie for $30. I don't think the spit's as long as yours, but it's longer than the diameter of a large. http://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-26-5-in-Steel-Grill-Rotisserie/50330127

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

what a great mod!

@legume I love your attitude, that's the spirit!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Yeah. Lost a lot of smoke (but still had plenty going up through top). Temp regulation was more difficult but workable. I haven't mounted the motor yet, but it worked w/o mounting on this 1st try.  Wish I had seen that $30!.. oh well, it was fun just sort of figuring it out. Only cut myself a couple times on the metal... :) 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    p.s. @Carolina Q.. you can't claim you "pretty much do the same thing" and expect royalties from me..  =)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Genius! I knew someone on here would come up with something more reasonable than that Joe thing. Thanks for posting.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I love that idea! Great job!

@Raymont - What did you use to season the bird? Also, what was your cook temp. I looks delicious.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Raymont
    Thanks!! Rubbed with butter, fresh Rosemarey & tyme & a little John Henry's Mojave Garlic rub.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Impressive.  Live near Chicago?  ;)
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Excellent!  Bookmarked!  Plans for this coming weekend!  
    :triumph:

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cheapasserie would have been the greatest name ever. Soooooooo close!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    edited June 2016
    Credit where credit is due.  Great project and results.  Well-played with the trademark.  I'm sure you have sparked a whole new garage industry.  Most eggcellent.
    Edit: banquet for the win- well done.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Raymont said:
    p.s. @Carolina Q.. you can't claim you "pretty much do the same thing" and expect royalties from me..  =)
    Well that's too bad. I was hoping to add to my retirement funding. =)

Nice lookin' dog! Looks familiar.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Maybe by Labor Day weekend i can get these made for L MM and XL,  saw the joetisserie whichnis cool but the redneck ingenuity as coined in this thread is brilliant
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823
    This makes me want the Joe thing.
    NOLA
  • I was thinking about roughly the same idea because I had some sheet metal in the shed but I was concerned about the sharp edge on doing it myself (my dogs and child are too curious for their own good.)

Maybe I need to spend some time out there this weekend. The last few projects I have done were in the spirit of saving money but my Home Depot receipts proved my plans faulty.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    I've used it about 5 times now. It works great. I cooked up 12lbs of turkey breast last weekend (came as one big ball like you would see at a sub shop). I then sliced and froze so we have sliced turkey meat for probably the next 6 months. Probably saved $5/lb compared to store bought. Need to try a pork loin or a roast at some point. Still isn't the work horse accessory (like the adjustable rig) for the egg for me but is a nice option. This really wasn't a hard project & I'd be glad to help anyone who would like to do it. PM me if interested. I'd tell anyone to get the adjustable rig and/or start cooking with a wok before buying the Joetisserie. The rotisserie doesn't really add new things to cook on the egg, but I will say the chicken and turkey tasted great. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Two pi are, but pi are squared 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Pork tenderloin. I didnt close the dome on this 1

Austin, Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    *I have NOT used a wooden chair since that cook...haha
    Austin, Tx
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I got cut and required 8 stitches from just looking at that picture of the sheet metal.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Not sure how I missed this thread. Doggone work getting in the way of this good read :wink:  Like the ingenuity. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL