Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Wings Discussion

Options
GratefulJason
GratefulJason Posts: 37
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
A colleague asked me to smoke a couple butts for a party he's throwing this Saturday, and he hinted that he'd like to try my smoked wings as well. 

Usually I rub with a spice blend a day ahead and let the wings dry out in the fridge. I put 'em on raised direct at 375° to get that crispy skin, then towards the end apply a glaze made with chipotle in adobo, lime, and agave nectar. 

This time, though, they're going to have to sit on with the butts, so they'll be on indirect and closer to 250°. I could wait until the butts are done and raise the temp, but I'd like to work on having a good method that'll allow me serve wings as apps while butts finish (for future cooks). I just don't like the rubbery texture of smoked wings though, and SWMBO won't eat bird with flimsy skin. I'm considering doing the smoke/fry/glaze/back on the smoker method. Anyone have experience with that?

Any input is welcome!

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    How about finishing wings in oven at higher temp to crisp up skin?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GratefulJason
    Options
    Raymont said:
    How about finishing wings in oven at higher temp to crisp up skin?
    I considered this, but I was worried they'd overcook before the skin got crisp. I may just spend the next three days experimenting...

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the skin always crisps for us at 250, when cooked for an extended time
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never cooked wings, believe it or not.  Partly it's because my wife's not a fan of chicken wings and I mostly cook for the two of us.  But I'm curious.  You said,
    ... I put 'em on raised direct at 375° to get that crispy skin, then towards the end apply a glaze made with chipotle in adobo, lime, and agave nectar...
    I get crispy skin, and I get glaze, but, never having done it, I would have thought putting a glaze on would moisten up the crispy skin and it wouldn't be crispy anymore.  Can you tell me more about this?  The adobo/lime/agave sounds great!
  • GratefulJason
    Options
    The glaze can take a little crunch out it, for sure. It's less crispy than before glazing. But just like fried buffalo wings, if the skin is firm enough it'll still crunch a bit under the sauce. 

The adobo/lime/agave glaze is super easy. I just put a couple of chipotles and some adobo sauce in the food processor with some cumin, salt, and pepper, then add a hint of lime juice for some acid and some agave to balance the heat. If I have some on hand, I'll throw in cilantro, too. There's no recipe - make it as hot, sweet, and tangy as you like. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Hitting a target finish-time with any large hunk of protein is always a crap-shoot for me, thus the FTC finish-line equalizer.  Given that you are cooking two butts the odds of them finishing close to each other are quite small.  That said, I don't see any down side to doing the wings with whatever process you want once the butts are FTC'd.  But your cook so enjoy it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I would agree with Lou.  Cook the wings like you are accustom to doing, while the butts rest FTC.  I rested my butts FTC for over two hours last time I did them.  I feel the rest is important to moist and tender butts, and it gives you time to reset the Egg for the wings like how you like them.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you can cook them on a raised grid above the butts I think that would help. You would have chicken juice dripping on the pork so I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.  As long as the chicken is cooked it should be safe.  In other words, you wouldn't want to put on the chicken if the butts are almost ready to come off...but if the chicken is fully cooked then anything dripping on the butts is also cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I tried doubling up a cook last night and cooked wings at about 275. They were OK but I wasn't thrilled with them. I prefer 350-375. Personally I would cook the butts, wrap them and throw them in a cooler, and start the wings at your preferred temperature. I always rest my butts anyway so it would work for me.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
       If I want to pull the wings around 160IT, the only way I can get them crispy is dusting with corn starch, on the other hand, if I just leave them for say double the time with an IT around 200+ they crisp up just fine. 

Does this fit with your experience? I typically don't over cook chicken (especially now with sous vide), but wings cooked to these high temps actually aren't that bad and people seem to enjoy them. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The glaze can take a little crunch out it, for sure. It's less crispy than before glazing. But just like fried buffalo wings, if the skin is firm enough it'll still crunch a bit under the sauce. 

The adobo/lime/agave glaze is super easy. I just put a couple of chipotles and some adobo sauce in the food processor with some cumin, salt, and pepper, then add a hint of lime juice for some acid and some agave to balance the heat. If I have some on hand, I'll throw in cilantro, too. There's no recipe - make it as hot, sweet, and tangy as you like. 
    Sounds great -- thanks!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I've read about letting chicken with skin on sit over night uncovered in the fridge. Never tried myself interested in opinions for that method of getting crispy skin 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Whenever I have the foresight I always let the chix (wings, other pieces/parts, or the whole bird) go for at least the overnight fridge air dry exposure.  It does enhance the crispy skin result.  You can further enhance it with a dusting of corn starch before tossing on the BGE.  Highly recommended.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GratefulJason
    Options
    In the coming days, I'm going to try a dry brine and a 250° smoke to see if I can get crispy skin at low temperatures. I almost always dry brine poultry, I've just never seen how it reacts with a low and slow setup. 

On the day of the smoke, though, I'll probably FTC and adjust the egg as others have recommended. I kinda figured it would come to that, but for those days that you spend an early afternoon drinking with friends and letting butts or brisket finish, I wanted to have a technique on hand to make wings happen hours in advance of the main event. 

I''ll also try to the smoke>fry>glaze>smoke routine. Mainly because it seems like it'll be labor intensive, over the top, and a ton of nerdy fun. 

I'll report back. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I've read about letting chicken with skin on sit over night uncovered in the fridge. Never tried myself interested in opinions for that method of getting crispy skin 
    It is IMO, one of the best things you can do to poultry.  Injection brining is another, which speeds up the brining process, and doesn't waterlog the skin like a traditional gradient brine.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You just need another egg, problem solved. 
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    I've smoked wings at the 250 temp for an hour and half and close to two hours if needed.  I then toss them on a very hot gas grill to crisp up and I've gotten very high/rave reviews.  I then toss with my buffalo sauce and they have always been great.  I don't keep them on the gas grill more than 5 or 10 minutes tops. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I recently did a batch where I rubbed them down smoked them at 250 until they hit internal of 160.  (no corn starch) Then I flash fried them in my cast iron dutch over filled with peanut oil for about five minutes at 350.  They were some of best wings I've ever eaten.  Smoky and moist on the inside, crispy and clean on the outside.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • stevez
    Options
    I'm a very recent convert to the BGE; having used the Weber Smokey Mountain for years.  There is a recipe over on that site that I've followed for years and I get huge raves all the time.  Smoke for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 225 - 250 and then I finish on a hot gas grill to get crispy.  I use different rubs honestly.  I love new ideas, but have a hard time leaving that one alone.  Especially the low and slow part. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's pretty hard to f up a wing, always fun switching things up, smoked, grilled, raised direct, fried, smofried, all good.  Along with Roadside Chicken, this kettle cook is in my HOF.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?32141-Dougherty-s-Wings

I use 2T Old Bay, roasted granulated onion instead of powder, swap Red Stripe for the Fosters.  I don't pile and try to spread them out, start at a lower temp, letting it rise into the cook, then finish quickly shovelling over the coals with a large dedicated wing spatula.  Like Roadside, it's a fun, interactive, cook gunking up the kettle building flavor with no worries.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2016
    Options

Good to have you on the forum. Enjoy the ride.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Not sure if someone said it, but smoke till you have nice color then flash fry them. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    J-dubya said:
       If I want to pull the wings around 160IT, the only way I can get them crispy is dusting with corn starch, on the other hand, if I just leave them for say double the time with an IT around 200+ they crisp up just fine. 

Does this fit with your experience? I typically don't over cook chicken (especially now with sous vide), but wings cooked to these high temps actually aren't that bad and people seem to enjoy them. 
    For me, corn starch is the way to go for crispy wings. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    stevez said:
    I'm a very recent convert to the BGE; having used the Weber Smokey Mountain for years.  There is a recipe over on that site that I've followed for years and I get huge raves all the time.  Smoke for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 225 - 250 and then I finish on a hot gas grill to get crispy.  I use different rubs honestly.  I love new ideas, but have a hard time leaving that one alone.  Especially the low and slow part. 
    Oh my....if it ever took me this long to make wings, my wife would make me sell the egg!  That being said, now I have to try it this way as well!

I now leave my chicken out in the fridge over night, as it really really does make a difference.....
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    If you can dry the wings in the fridge overnight, you can go indirect at 400-425 and get a nice smoked flavor by adding a handful of wood chips right before putting the wings on. Typically only takes about 45-50 minutes and they come out very tender with crispy skin. They only really need a little touch of smoke and the wood chips will get the job done. 

If I can't dry them in the fridge, they take about 1:15. I don't sauce until I get crisp skin and then when I sauce, I keep them on until they are nearly dry again. I have a batch of partially frozen ones going on in a few minutes. I can post pics of my process if you want.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @GratefulJason - I'm not sure if you're interested in my method for wings but I posted a separate thread for my process. The thread makes it look like more work than it is. We make them this way about once per week.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • stevez
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions/feedback.  Jason, yes, I'd love to see your method would like to try different ways. Today for a party I smoked two large packs of wings.  1 1/2 hours at 300 temp at dome. Used the process and recipe from the Virtual Weber website called Wild Willey's rub.  Use it frequently. After 1 1/2 hours I removed platesetter and opened vents to get it hot and then grilled direct for about 10 minutes.  I used a mix of Franks hot sauce (2/3 cup) and melted butter (1 cup) and the wings were excellent.  Big hit. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky