Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on purchasing used egg

I'm looking to get my first BGE and have been looking at the secondary market (e.g. Craigslist). I've been surprised at just how well these hold their value (assuming a Large is $850 these days), it's not uncommon to see 10-year-old eggs going for well north of $500-600, at least here in the Seattle area. If you've purchased your egg used, how was the experience? What should I be looking out for, other than the obvious cracks in the ceramic? 

I'm not in a super rush, and I'm patient enough to wait for the winter. Is it true that better deals can be had in the winter? 

I also understand that EGGtoberfest is a great time to make a purchase. Am I limited to local events (in the Seattle area... not sure there are any), or can I still purchase a demo or discounted model online? 

Thanks!

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I wouldn't give up the lifetime warranty by buying a used Egg.  Ceramic cracks and BGE covers it under warranty.  I'd be on the lookout for a dem or just pony up the extra 300 for a new one.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The only problem with buying used is you will have no warranty. It seems that after a few years everyone's firebox cracks. That is covered by the warranty. Much less common, but happens, is a crack in the egg, which is also covered by the warranty, as long as the crack is from cooking and not dropped. With that being said, I would not pass up a good deal on a used egg. Hopefully a forum member in your area can tell you about upcoming eggfests where you may be able to buy a demo. Also, you could use the "find a dealer" link at the top of the page and ask about upcoming eggfests. Good luck.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Conventional wisdom is to not go over 50% of new pricing for a used BGE for all the reasons above. An eggfest is a good deal (cooked on once and still retains the warranty) but it does not look like one is close by for the remainder of the year. 
    That said, you likely have many dealers within a reasonable drive.  Check them out and see what kind of deal they will offer.  Never hurts to ask.  FWIW-
    BTW-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    edited August 2016
    I have bought 2 larges and 2 xl all used and never had any issues, paid around 50% of new. I have even re-sold one of the larges, all has been good. Good luck on your search.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    I agree on paying no more than 50% of new. I have a used large, 5 years old when I bought it, paid $400 with quite a few extras. You should be able to find a demo large in the $750 range. Worth the peace of mind in my opinion.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    The warranty is worth the piece of mind....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The warranty is worth the piece of mind....
    I concur.  If it's not a "fire" sale.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Don't forego the warranty unless you're getting a fantastic deal 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Used Eggs made sense 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago when BGE and Primo were the main players, and BGE had a large advantage in dealer availability. Today you can buy a brand new ceramic grill with lifetime warranty at a reputable dealer in your neighbourhood for roughly the same cost as an average used Egg. A Kamado Joe is a good buy when you consider that it comes with a nest and the equipment necessary to cook direct and indirect. Buying a KJ at a Costco roadshow makes it an even better deal; and if you want to spend less, Vision grills at Costco look pretty good.

A new BGE will never disappoint, but if you don't want to spend that much, there are much better choices out there today than used Eggs.
  • SkySaw said:
    Buying a KJ at a Costco roadshow makes it an even better deal.
    I've been eyeing KJs as well, but I have no idea if my local Costco carries it. Any idea how I can find out about roadshows in my area? 
  • Thanks NorthPilot06! Tacoma is a bit of a haul for me - any idea what kind of deals they're offering? Want to make sure it'll be worth my while!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Well that link says it ended Sunday here, and I was in Costco on Sunday, and I didn't see it.

:angry:
    NOLA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I got a large used on ebay with a ton of accessories.  It has held up well except fire rin and foreboz have lotsa cracks.  It was roughly a 50% discount off of new and i feel good about that level without warranty.   It is the people who want 75 ro 100% of new price for their used eggs that makes me wonder what king of drugs they are smoking.....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2016
    I'm in Seattle and see those eggs on CL you are talking about. I am getting a new cooker soon, depending on how I like it I may be liquidating an egg or two... We will see.

running numbers in my head if I was to sell one I'd list my mini max, with high que, plate setter and woo around $450 and see if anyone would bite. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have bought used eggs and have been very happy, the first one was a medium with and a lots of extras, kept all the extras because I already had a medium and sold it for a $75.00 profit. Then I got a LG with nest, plate setter and some extras $500.00, still have it after 4 years and no problems. So if the price is right I say go ahead and purchase a used egg.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I bought my large used down here in Oregon for ~$400 and I still sweat the lack of a warranty.  I wouldn't pay much more than that, as many people note the 50% discount really being the temptation point.  The KJ route is a good deal; I've had several friend do that since there are not many BGE dealers locally.  I even bought a KJ Jr. from Costco.  The road show sells their classic (large size) with nest, wings, divide & conquer racking system (pretty cool) and starter cubes for $800.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • If you buy a egg, thompsons hearth and fire in Issaquah is the best store for add ons. Great people too. You missed eggfest in kent I'm guessing? Thompsons also has Rockwood in stock.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    I was in Sam's today and a new large was $890. 
  • For those with experience buying a KJ at a Costco Roadshow, do you know if they actually check your Costco membership? Do you pay Costco, or the distributor who is on-hand? Does it come with the awesome Costco "return anytime" warranty?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    You pay Costco and yes need a membership. Costco for the most part has done away with the anytime warranty there are lots of exclusions, but not 100% sure.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    bill37 said:
    I was in Sam's today and a new large was $890. 

A large can be purchased for $699 in my area. Sam's is unable to compete unless they get a special buy.