Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spaghetti. In the style of Dixie.

Options
2»

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    My Nana Blasiola would roll over in her grave if I used Ragu...just saying.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Again brother Whitee, the Ragu has been simmered for over an hour with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper bay leaves, venison, wild boar and beef in it. At that point the sauce (no matter what you use) tastes like all the additives. The sauce is just a base to keep from having to make one from scratch. I could understand everyone's point if I were just warming the Ragu and using it as is. At any rate, the spaghetti is excellent. Or it is to me at any rate. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Seems several didn't like my spaghetti. Well I'm making another one. I'm putting 3 Cornish hens and 2 pounds of salmon in it. And a fukking lemon. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Are you sure the angel hair pasta is cooked enough after only 25 minutes?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    SGH said:
    Seems several didn't like my spaghetti. Well I'm making another one. I'm putting 3 Cornish hens and 2 pounds of salmon in it. And a fukking lemon. 

I realized what you are saying. You cook circles around us mere mortals. Well done, Sir. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Seemed fine to me. It was nice and tender but still had a little snap to it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    So what are you cooking for that beautiful Mrs. Of yours?.?.??. 
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Interested in what your gonna have as sauce on this Scottie.  Looking good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Interested in what your gonna have as sauce on this Scottie.  Looking good.
    6 jars of Ragu.  

Status- Standing by.

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    A quick alternative:
    couple of chopped or minced cloves of garlic softened/browned in 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • da87
    Options
    Plane hit a bumb....  Olive oil. A finely chopped onion sauté until clear. Couple big cans of Italian tomatoes (fresh Roma chipped even better if available) a small can if paste to thicken and herbs (whatever is fresh - basil, oregano plus s&p) to taste. Less than 1/2 an hour and none of the other stuff in Ragu....
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I would love to have given you bonus points but you didn't grill the fukking lemon.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• da87
    Options
    Even better with some bacon or pancetta added at the beginning... Just sayin
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• SGH
    Options
    da87 said:
    A quick alternative:
    couple of chopped or minced cloves of garlic softened/browned in 
    I'm just kidding above. I'm not really make another spaghetti tonight. And I certainly would not put my Cornish hens and salmon in it. I was being fo-see-shush-us ;) 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I would love to have given you bonus points but you didn't grill the fukking lemon.
    I'm actually deep frying it as we speak. That should be worth several points :D

Status- Standing by.

• da87
    Options
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Amazing stuff Scotty!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Same with the twice undercooked venison, an obvious food safety issue.  Truly cannot believe he actually served this dish for human consumption.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    Options
    Focker said:
    Same with the twice undercooked venison, an obvious food safety issue.  
    Please tell me that you are kidding. The meatballs were actually a tad overdone from the simmering. 

Status- Standing by.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    SGH said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Again brother Whitee, the Ragu has been simmered for over an hour with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper bay leaves, venison, wild boar and beef in it. At that point the sauce (no matter what you use) tastes like all the additives. The sauce is just a base to keep from having to make one from scratch. I could understand everyone's point if I were just warming the Ragu and using it as is. At any rate, the spaghetti is excellent. Or it is to me at any rate. 
    Look at all that beeeeaaaauuutiful looking meat!   You see, I get that the Ragu simmered in all that quality meat will taste good.  How couldn't it?  But to anyone who grew up with an Italian grandmother, those jars of Ragu are the equivalent to you watching us make a meal with cheap frozen meatballs and generic hot dogs.  (instead of hand made & smoked boar/venison meatballs and venison sausage).  That's what you're hearing.

That said...like all your cooks.  WOW!  Over the top!!!  I have no doubt that crap jarred sauce ;) you used did not taste awesome with all the other prep.   Seriously, no joking, no more smileys... that sh*t looks good and I'm going to throw this on the list for campfire cooks, in particular.  In those cases I have to make a one pot meal, don't have time to saute, don't have the gear to boil water for pasta...sounds like all I need are some cooked meatballs, my dutch oven, and I can feed an army!  So yeah, I'm trying it.  Thanks!!

...and a fukking lemon.  :lol:  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland