Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy cooking

Options

Can I cook in the rain without any umbrella on the BGE?  Does rain get in the Daisy Wheel and get the meat wet?

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Yes, you can cook without an umbrella in the rain.  You may get a small amount of drips thru the daisy wheel cap.  If that's a concern, you can consider a smokeware cap (in place of the DW) or buy a metal vent cap (like this http://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-6-in-Dia-Galvanized-Steel-Rain-Cap/3134373) that will fit over the DW.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    No umbrella is needed, nor is a smokeware cap.  You will be fine.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you won't notice anything in the egg from rain.

in a downpour, i used to crinkle some foil on the daisy wheel handle. but never really noticed it was an issue either way

long ago i bought a smoke stack thing at home depot, but i realized it made the egg look even goofier, and wasn't really needed.

they sell fancy stainless caps that people seem to like. but they apparently need OCD levels of cleaning periodically though, in order to maintain their legendary appearance.  :)

so, i just toss on the daisy and walk away.  call me what you will.  uncouth, unsophisticated, poverty-stricken.  meh.  daisy works for me.

i DO have an umbrella now, over the egg, but that's more for the cook than the cooker
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Yep definitely OCD on SS table and Smokeware. Mainly keep the table clean because I use for prep. The Smokeware...maybe I've got a problem. :smile:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @ceeejay57   Where do you live?  The egg will handle most rain without a problem.  If you live in the tropics, you may want to consider a cover of some kind.  I have had one fire put out by too much rain.  But down here we sometimes get as much rain in a half hour as many experience all summer!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options

in a downpour, i used to crinkle some foil on the daisy wheel handle. but never really noticed it was an issue either way

long ago i bought a smoke stack thing at home depot, but i realized it made the egg look even goofier, and wasn't really needed.

they sell fancy stainless caps that people seem to like. but they apparently need OCD levels of cleaning periodically though, in order to maintain their legendary appearance.  :)

so, i just toss on the daisy and walk away.  call me what you will.  uncouth, unsophisticated, poverty-stricken.  meh.  daisy works for me.

i DO have an umbrella now, over the egg, but that's more for the cook than the cooker
    I use to be OCD with cleaning the Smokeware Cap, but now I just separate the top from bottom and throw it in after a pizza cook.   Comes out a little tarnished, but no crud on it.  And I like the tarnished look better than the original shiny steel.   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options

I was cooking a butt one day when the usual South Florida afternoon thunderstorm blew in.  This worked great and I put my DigiQ in a ziploc bag...just kept right on cooking without a problem.

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Rain? What rain?

Pic "borrowed" from @Spring Chicken. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Have egged pies in a downpour using the back of the metal peel to shield the water getting on the pie.  Not fun.

Even with the daisy barely open, I get bald spots on Q with a steady rain.

Then I decided to try the Al foil cap.  By the time you get it to work, or it actually stays on.....a major PITA.

Smokewares are on all of my eggs.  No issues for any weather I choose to cook in, whether at home or at the camper.

They are worth every penny.  But then again, I enjoy not eggin under a roof.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I cooked once with the daisy wheel in the rain without any issues but have since bought smokeware caps for all of my eggs. I'm more concerned about the snow around here. I'm not quitting all winter. I want to accomplish a -30 cook and a 12"+ snow cook. Dunno why, I'm a glutten I guess. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Rain? What's that? Lol..... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done many cooks in the rain with no issue, also in the snow, without a problem. The only weather that gathers my attention in a cook is high wind, and even then, the BGE still produces killer food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ceeejay57
    Options
    All, I bought the vent and it worked like a charm.  Thank you for all your help.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Rainy cooking in Texas.
    Austin, Tx
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    No umbrella? You'll get wet.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

"it made the Egg look even goofier." You say that like the Egg is absurd-looking to begin with.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Rainy cooking in Texas.
    MM without its nest?
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    ^yes sir
    Austin, Tx