Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Another Fairly Easy "Man" App

Options
I just got a call that my veterans group at church changed days and we are meeting next Wednesday now. I typically do burgers, dogs, pulled pork, spatchcocks, chili, ABTs, etc. 

I told them this month I would do wings, sausages, and....I don't know. I try to keep it fairly cheap and simple because the church pays for it. I'm usually working with my old banger Brinkmann double gas/charcoal grill I keep over there or prep prior to going. Typically its easier just to make it there, so things like pizzas and nachos can be a little difficult.

I'm trying to get creative so I have a few more things to cycle through my offerings. Any quick, easy, cheap(er) ideas? I've been digging through the archives and come up a little short. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    BBQ meatballs are always a hit when we have people over.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Chicken Souvlaki.  Marinate ahead of time, make skewers, grill, serve with Tzatziki sauce.  Easy peasy.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Bruscetta. Tomatoes are everywhere. Toast bread, top with tomato mix. Maybe not as sexy as a brisket slider.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How many do you need to make? 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pig shots-give the recipe a look.  Basically a sliced (around 1/2") section of andouille sausage or kielbasa, wrap with thick bacon and fill the void with a sausage/meat /cheese mixture of your choice.  Hit with some dry rub and go til the bacon is finished.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would go pulled beef or pork- you could do sliders or sandwiches. All ready at same time and pork butts or chuckles are relatively inexpensive. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Pork Steaks. Cheap, readily available, awesome, and you can cook them lots of different ways. 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    red beans and rice. the only real cost associated with it would be some sausage to put in it. only downside is you would probably have to cook it at home with a crock pot. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Coul said:
    red beans and rice. the only real cost associated with it would be some sausage to put in it. only downside is you would probably have to cook it at home with a crock pot. 
    Yeah but that's an easy cook. I may hold that one for September

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2016
    Options

Wolfpack said:
    I would go pulled beef or pork- you could do sliders or sandwiches. All ready at same time and pork butts or chuckles are relatively inexpensive. 

I did pulled pork in July and my buddy has a cow coming in October so we are gonna do a lot of beef this winter. 

and we do anywhere from 5 to 25. It's always a crap shoot so we flex between making the food stretch and having a feast

South of Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    grilled corn on the cob, cheap and easy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I recently made chuck roast burnt ends.  You could smoke a couple over the weekend and leave whole until day you need them.  Cube, re-rub and sauce then throw on gasser to warm them back up and caramelize the sauce.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Tacos. Grill a flank steak and chop it. Meat goes a long way when each taco only needs a spoonful of chopped pieces. All the sides (cilantro, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, etc...) can be prepped beforehand. Grab a pack of corn tortillas and toss them on a hot flat surface (cast iron) for a minute each side and serve. Cheap, easy and flavorful 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!